pixeltracker

LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13- Page 4

LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#75LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:02am

I agree - Leap of Faith wasn't even a successful nor memorable movie, if I'm remembering correctly.

I think Bonnie & Clyde would do fine on tour, as would Ghost, because of the titles.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#76LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:59am

Damn I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon. I'll have to try to go see it this weekend. Thankfully plenty of tickets should be available lol

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#77LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 1:19am

The nominators don't give a sh*t about touring, it was just a fluke that LOF got more votes (or vote) than the others.

Anyone who thinks a show that flopped out of town and then on B'way can make money on the road is loco.
I know the pickings are slim but Menken and Wildhorne have terrible taste in directors they trust their work to.

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#78LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 4:10am

I am mystified as to how people could have looked at the LA reviews as said, "Gee, now THAT'S a show I want to invest my thousands in!" I can't believe that there are people who can throw a few hundred thousand around to invest in these shows. What did they see in a project like this? It's the same way I feel about the people who keep investing in Wildhorn shows. Time after time the musicals get ripped apart by the critics, lose a great deal of money, and (with the exception of Jekyll and Hyde) have extremely short runs. Where's the attraction in investing in those kinds of shows. Sure, most Sondheim shows never recoup, but investors can at least have bragging rights about the critical acclaim and awards they usually pick up.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#79LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 4:18am

"I am mystified as to how people could have looked at the LA reviews as said, "Gee, now THAT'S a show I want to invest my thousands in!" I can't believe that there are people who can throw a few hundred thousand around to invest in these shows."

..But have you seen HOW MANY "producers" have invested in this production?

I agree with CPD... The nominators may take touring into effect, but it came down to Leap having the right voting numbers with a season of mediocre musicals for the fourth slot. Also, its Alan Menken, an acclaimed composer as opposed to Frank Wildhorn or Bono & the Edge, etc.

Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
#80LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 5:08am

Sadly it seems to be a big problem in the US that each show needs 4000 producers. Our thoughts go to the actors and crew involved in this production who will be jobless. Let's not forget people rely on this show for food on the table.

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#81LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 6:21am

Did you see how many producers Spring Awakening had in London, Nick?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#82LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 6:42am

The investors don't need the show to succeed for food on the table -- they are weatlthy folk. Investing is a gamble, no different than play the slots or blackjack in Vegas. Peoople that invest (or gamble) more than they can afford to lose, are fools.

The arts ARE a gamble, for all involved: the dressers, the stagehands andd all the way up to the producerss. It's part of the business.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#83LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 8:21am

My thoughts arnt with them. I dont mean to be harsh but you make it sound like someone has died. Yes its not nice, but another show will come along and more people will be in work. Its the nature of the business

DeNada
#84LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:30am

Nick, I know you're close-ish with Alan Menken, but he of all people doesn't need to worry about food on the table this season... of course it's always sad when a show closes, but there will be other shows and other employment opportunities for people who were in this or are even out of work now.

The reason Leap of Faith had a gazillion producers will be because no-one had enough faith (pun fully intended) in the show to invest a huge amount. As a consequence, no-one will lose out too heavily with the show's closing.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#85LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:17pm

I have no clue why this was allowed the best musical slot. I don't care what you say if you cannot garner even one other nomination then what right do you have to be in the nominees for best overall anything? I don't care about splitting of votes which is probably what did it, but the rest of your nominations do not match up. Why is there not a rule preventing this from happening? This isn't like the Oscars where you have every film produced in the last year, you have a pool of 10ish choices of shows in a year.

roadmixer
#86LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 1:28pm

I agree with the posters who say that the nature of the business is feast or famine and that it goes with the territory etc. etc. BUT when 2 major musicals close (LEAP and NICE WORK) this immediately puts all of the staff at both venues out of work at a point when there are no new shows producing. The ushers, the house crew, the box office and management staff of a dark theatre are without jobs. The actors and musicians will be hard pressed to find other shows right now... it may be the fall if they're lucky. The actors will have missed the boat on regional or Summer Stock work for this year so it's unemployment insurance and/or waiting tables for them. Yes... there are typically shows waiting in the wings for empty theatres but not at this time of year typically.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#87LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 1:48pm

Decrying loss of employment when a show closes is like complaining about being away from home so much when you're a flight attendant. It's inherent in the nature of the business.

If regular employment and pay is high on your list of priorities, choosing a career in the theatre is, bluntly, just idiotic.

roadmixer
#88LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 1:59pm

Personally, I wasn't "decrying" anything... merely pointing out that when people seemingly rejoice about the turnover of a theatre, that there are consequences to that which are not all that rosy.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#89LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 2:10pm

I find it strange that when a new production is announced that might not be to the liking of certain board members, everyone bit**es and moans. But then when that show closes, those same people feel so bad for those losing their jobs, etc.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#90LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 2:27pm

What about all the people who will be employed in the next show coming into the St. James? Why are you against them getting jobs? These are peoples' dreams, their livelihoods, their professions. And here you are, saying that those people shouldn't get a chance because "LOF" closing means people will lose their jobs. "LOF" not closing means a different group people won't get jobs in the first place.

Why are the artists involved in "LOF" more deserving of jobs than the people in the show that will replace it? Why does Alan Menken get to clog up a theatre that could be showcasing the work of a new up-and-comer, or a new masterpiece from an established hand? Why does Raul Esparza get to steal away the chance of someone else to play a leading role in a Broadway musical?

I get the impression that there are people that think the shows that are running on Broadway right this minute are the only shows that should ever play Broadway, because "it's sad when people lose their jobs". That the Broadway of today should be the Broadway of forever. "Leap of Faith" should stay at the St. James, "Ghost" should stay at the LF, everything should stay where it is because "it's unfortunate for those people to lose their jobs." No new shows, no new work, just "jobs" for a select group of people, regardless of the quality of the piece or the desire of an audience to see it.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#91LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 2:31pm

I agree with Newintown. If job security is a high priority for you, the theatre probably isn't the right profession for you.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#92LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 2:48pm

I'm torn; on one hand I'm sad to see this punching bag of a show close, but on the other hand I'm happy to see the Cuban Goat humbled. What's next for Mr. E? Jenny Craig spokesman?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#93LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 3:35pm

Saw it for a second time last night. I was told that they recorded, audio, the show before it opened. Not sure if it is true but if it is I hope they release a recording. I just love the entire score. We walked up to the box office last and got 2 student rush tix orchetraeft about 8 rows back.

Just give the world Love.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#94LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 3:38pm

Alan Menken tweeted that the obcr was still high on his agenda, uncageg.

So hopefully we will get a recording.

....but the world goes 'round

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#95LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 6:41pm

hyperbole- "happy to see the Cuban Goat humbled"? He's never had a show break even, this is no different. I'm sure he's doing just fine, so your glee is in vain.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#96LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 7:00pm

Speed-the-Plow recouped.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#97LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 7:32pm

A lot of people bemoan the poor actors (usually no real mention of the stagehands or musicians) at going to be out of a job, can't put food on the table, etc.

When I was in high school, and there was our "career day", I sat in on the talk given by a local theater worker (she used to do some acting, but then went on to work in the offices as the director of their youth programs), and she said something very important to everyone thinking of working in the theater community, whether acting, directing, working backstage, etc.:

"Don't do it. Don't do it for money. Don't do it for fame. Do it because you love it and it fills a hole in your heart and soul."

I think it's all too clear that there are inherent risks with working in the theater community, and steady employment is not always a guarantee. I'm sure almost everyone working on that show has a b-plan, or at the very least has some idea of what they might do if their show closes.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#98LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:56pm

I'm going to be seeing this tomorrow. It's been a week of seeing closing shows for me lol Saw Seminar on Saturday and Magic-Bird this afternoon.

broadwayfever
#99LEAP OF FAITH to Close on Broadway Sunday, May 13
Posted: 5/10/12 at 12:24am

Bonnie & Clyde should've been nominated instead of this show.