pixeltracker

Jean Smart - I guess it is not Annie.- Page 2

Jean Smart - I guess it is not Annie.

iluvtheatertrash
#25Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:08pm

She breathed somd serious life into the dying Harry's Law. She'd be fabulous.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#26Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:10pm

Nice idea, but she's not doing Annie.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:11pm

If they're really trying to do a first-class, fresh revival, rather than a paint-by-numbers rehash with a "name" attached, then she doesn't need to be bankable alone.

None of the stars of the big '90s "Guys and Dolls" revival were bankable Broadway stars. Nathan Lane was barely known. So were Faith Prince and Josie de Guzman. And I wouldn't call Peter Gallagher a huge movie star.

Still, it was a smash hit.

So it can be done. The fact that Jean Smart seems to be such a great fit for it is a very good sign.

I was actually expecting a bigger name with lesser potential in the role.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:12pm

Smaxie---for sure?

Dang.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#29Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:20pm

She would add a touch of class to the whole affair.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 11:20 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#30Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:24pm

Jean Smart in talks for Annie?

I remember Jean Smart when she played a saucy and sassy character in the 1995 series "High Society." from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#31Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:26pm

For real - sorry.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#32Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:26pm

Jean would be perfection, dont get me wrong. I adore her. But they are really hyping this revival and trying to position it as the next blockbuster revival. A press release with Jean Smart will take the wind out of the sails, unless they have names for Daddy and Grace.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#33Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:43pm

I guess she refused to shave her head.

nasty_khakis
#34Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:59pm

Oh...I love her and she's a fine choice, but she wont sell any more tickets than Katie Finneran, Beth Leavel, or any other non names. Still feels like stock casting.

bobs3
#35Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:28am

You don't need a box office star for ANNIE to be a success. Very few people knew who Dorothy Loudon was in 1977 (very few people know who she was now).

The show's title will sell itself and the producers of the ANNIE revival are some of the best marketeers on Broadway.

I can already see preteens and their parents going to see a WICKED matinee and ANNIE in the evening.

Plus, this won't be the Martin Charnin (Mike Nichols uncredited) staging. The genius that is James Lapine probably has some clever tricks up his sleeve.

Updated On: 5/22/12 at 01:28 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:36am

^ The show has been done to death. The most recent national tour hit the same cities about three times per major city. People have seen the show (most more than once), and they are not going to drop big bucks for the same old thing. A big name could maybe change this and/or new staging that is well received. The title itself may not be enough anymore.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#37Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:48am

She was great as Margie McDougal in Promises Promises at Encores.
Wish she replaced Katie Finneran instead of tMolly Shannon who while funny in Saturday Night LIve, seems to ruin any musical she is in.

What a great Mrs. Hannagin. Jean Smart would be. Great Casting

RICRoyal2010 Profile Photo
RICRoyal2010
#38Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:57am

Not Sally Struthers?

"I'm that one in a million chance when the director says 'you', the small town boy who makes it big, the one that little children and grown men and women will adore, I'm that shot in the dark everyone talks about, you may not know my name yet, but you will, everyone will, someday."- Me

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#39Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 2:24am

Many here seem to be of the opinion that the success of Annie hinges on the casting (preferably STAR casting) of Hannigan. Really?? Sure, she'd better be great, but remember what show this is. A handful of theater obsessives like us are not the target audience for Annie.

My two suburban sisters don't care which gay icon B'way World posters want to play Hannigan. They want to take their little girls to see the show called ANNIE on Broadway, the original Broadway AND movie versions of which, they were smitten with as kids. This production is timed for the 30-something Annie lovers who now have kids of their own.

Remember, this is a beloved title folks, it's not Glory Days. An acclaimed production will sell tickets. (And I hope it's good. Having Martin Charnin far away from this one is a great start.)

As for the last revival, it was dreadful. It got awful reviews and lots of bad press. There was a story on Page Six trashing Nell Carter and the feuding stage mothers every other day. And having a star play Hannigan unbalanced that production. There was milked entrance and exit applause, drawn out scenes, and just too much focus on Carter. It didn't work.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#40Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 4:11am

The difference here is that we want someone to play the role wonderfully, the producers (understandably) want someone wonderful (as far as popularity) to play the role. A big difference, indeed. Let's hope that this is one case that the two ideas can exist in the same person.

(BTW...do we HAVE a thread speculating/dreaming of Daddy Warbucks?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#41Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 6:43am

Watch it end up being someone like Roseanne Barr as Hannigan. That would be just the ticket ... to see a different show instead, that is.

As for Warbucks, maybe Michael Cerveris can jump ship and sign on.

Updated On: 5/22/12 at 06:43 AM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#42Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 7:42am

"As for Warbucks, maybe Michael Cerveris can jump ship and sign on."

Wow, that's racist. I mean, baldist.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 5/22/12 at 07:42 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#43Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 8:01am

Yes, I'm being baldist. Guilty as charged.

Or, as the saying goes, if the skullcap doesn't fit, don't wear it.

In all seriousness, I think Cerveris is right for the part as an actor (hair or no hair) and would sing it well.

Updated On: 5/22/12 at 08:01 AM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#44Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 10:23am

Hehe and yes, I agree he'd be very good in the role!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#45Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:51pm

I'd love to see Brian d'Arcy James take on Warbucks. *sigh* Maybe one day...

Jean is so perfect, I love it. She was amazing in The Man Who Came to Dinner. But as stated, she's not the "name" that was pumped up. I'm sure they'll let Rosie O'Donnell take over when the show starts to run out of steam.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#46Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 1:58pm

They are not casting names.

sallydurant Profile Photo
sallydurant
#47Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 2:09pm

The have their Ms. H and she is not a name outside of the theatre world.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 2:09pm

So it'll be a Beth Leavel type?

sallydurant Profile Photo
sallydurant
#49Jean Smart in talks for Annie?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 2:12pm

Yup Jean Smart in talks for Annie?

Videos