Ghost

krcasteel1986
#1Ghost
Posted: 5/23/12 at 9:31pm

I already purchased my tickets for "Ghost" at the end of July... but looking at the numbers and seeing all the seats that are available on Ticketmaster for the remainder of this month's performance... it doesn't look good. Do you think it will still be open in July? Fingers crossed that it picks up during the summer months.

Bwaydide92
#2Ghost
Posted: 5/23/12 at 10:21pm

I'm in the same boat. Attendance has actually gone up. Hopefully the gross starts rising too. I think it might make it to the summer. I wish they would get a better marketing person. They almost never perform on tv, and when they did it was just Caissie and Richard without costumes or anything. And I think this week the numbers have been getting better. Hopefully they get to perform at the Tony's and bring in some more people.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#2Ghost
Posted: 5/23/12 at 10:36pm

I really don't understand why they have not been marketing this better. I mean, it has a potentially large audience...why the hell have they not been promoting more?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#3Ghost
Posted: 5/23/12 at 11:40pm

Meh saw it tonight the Mezz wasn't full and the rear Mezz had lots of seats. Audience reaction up above wasn't all that enthusiastic. The LED screens made the show feel like a ride at Universal Studios. The constant echoing of the dance numbers became dull and monotonous. Why put a movie frame for frame on the stage? Rent the movie. Ya ain't missing much with the score!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 5/24/12 at 11:40 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#4Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 12:00pm

The Mastercard/TimeWarner Center promotion was poorly advertised and only a handful of people were there. The chance to meet the three leads and see them perform was amazing so it was sad to see so few people.

I agree with the LEDs making you feel like you're on a ride.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 12:48pm

Ya ain't missing much with the score

There was a score?

I must have missed that. I did recall hearing some bland music and an annoying rap though.

....but the world goes 'round

Rainbowhigh23
#6Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 12:59pm

I need to borrow those umbrellas from "Rain/Hold On", maybe they can spare them before Act 2 tonight.

Bwaydide92
#7Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 1:10pm

I'm always baffled when people say bad things about the score. The score is the reason I want to see Ghost. I think the songs are great. There's only one on the recording that I hated and that's been taken out. I've heard the new one and I don't love it but it's not as bad as the other one. I love that the score is written like a movie score. There are a lot of reused melodies because it ties the story together and even foreshadows things in the story (if you didn't already know them). I can't wait to see it. I wouldn't say it's the best piece of theatre out there but at least there aren't dancing cupcakes.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#8Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 1:44pm

Honestly I think it's great that you enjoy the score. There are plenty of scores I absolutely love that most people hate.

But everyone can relate to being moved by a favorite cast recording and I think most would agree there are few pleasures that match being transported by a piece of music.

I was just being playfully snarky.

You go and play that album loud and proud!

....but the world goes 'round

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#9Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 8:31pm

Of the new productions coming to Broadway next season, does it look like the Lunt-Fontanne is in demand?

I am just wondering if that theatre is being looked at to be taken up anytime soon cause that may affect the longevity of the production am I correct?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#10Ghost
Posted: 5/24/12 at 10:26pm

"I love that the score is written like a movie score."

Yes, movie scores are meant to be in the background of the action, not drawing attention to themselves, enhansing thevisuals. NOT what a Broadway Musical Score should do. Maybe a great score for a movie but a Sh*tty one for a Broadway musical… Everything sounded like a watered down version of "No Day But Today" from Rent! (shudder).

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

hanabana
#11Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 1:07am

I think it would be such a shame if Ghost closes anytime soon. I really enjoyed the show. I, too, like the score. There are some songs from the show that I love, such as "Here Right Now," "With You," "Suspend My Disbelief/I Had A Life," etc. I actually went to see Ghost because I heard some of the music. I'm not a big fan of the movie, I watched it but was never crazy about it. But I like the musical much more, and I'd happily go see it again. I think the leads in Ghost are wonderful. I love Caissie and Richard's voices! The acting was great too. This show has touching and hilarious moments, and I loved every moment of it. The effects are pretty cool too.

I agree that the marketing isn't so good. I've only seen one performance on TV, and I did not even hear about the TimeWarner Center promotion until after it happened. It's true though, that attendance seems to be going up recently. I hope that its numbers go up, and that everyone who wants to see it on Broadway can see it. Of course, everyone has their own opinions, and some might love a show while others not care for it. In my opinion, Ghost is a show worth seeing.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#12Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 1:11am

I really hope that they get some shot to perform on the Tonys. Rumors are Godspell is performing and they got a big fat zero nominations.

Didn't Fleeshman go on The Talk or something pointless?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 1:24am

Rumors? It's been formally announced that Godspell is performing at the Tonys.

Bwaydide92
#14Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 1:33am

hanabana. Suspend My Disbelief/ I Had A Life are exactly what made me wonder about this show and I have fallen in love with since.

And Godspell is definitely performing. I doubt Ghost will though. And Richard Fleeshman didn't even perform. They just played the recording of unchained melody and Sharon Osbourne attacked him.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#15Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 2:49am

I find it interesting how different Broadway and West End audience reactions have been.

In the West End, the whole audience leap to their feet as soon as the show has finished.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#16Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 8:57am

Clap Yo' Hands, you must have seen it in London a different night from me. It got a fairly enthusiastic reception, but the only ones standing at the end were the ones grabbing their coats to leave. Yes, it was better received, but if you saw an instant standing O, the audience must have been packed with American tours that night.

justafan2
#17Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 10:15am

Does the LED's affect the people in the orchestra too (or just the mezz?) I didn't realize they used them and would not have purchased tix if I did. How large are they? (I hate rides) :)

Rainbowhigh23
#18Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 10:29am

^ NASA has confirmed that can see this show from space, it is indeed very bright. The complete opposite of the drabness of Evita.

The LED panels rival those that Lady Gaga used in her Radio City show a few years back. I was quite impressed. You get your money's worth with this show.

DefyGravity777
#19Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 5:12pm

I have severe motion sickness and almost puked from the LED's and special effects. I was front row center.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

hanabana
#20Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 9:13pm

Bwaydide92, I'm glad someone else loves that song like I do! That's the main reason I wanted to see Ghost too, and I'm so glad I did. I hope you get to see it on Broadway if you haven't already.

DefyGravity777, lol, I hope you are exaggerating and didn't really feel that bad during the show!

I was front row center too, but didn't really have any motion sickness problems. To clarify this, I am extremely prone to motion sickness, I got so dizzy during Avatar when I watched it in 3D because of all the movements and had close my eyes and missed parts of the movie! But I didn't have a problem with Ghost at all. Maybe it's because I mostly paid attention to the actors, and only saw the LED's with my peripheral vision, haha... I do have one suggestion to those prone to motion sickness though: In the beginning, when the orchestra starts playing the Overture and the curtain starts showing pictures/movements, if you feel a bit dizzy, look away immediately and stare at something nonmoving! I was too close to the curtain and felt a bit dizzy and started looking at the conductor at work! It was only a few seconds and didn't take away from the show at all since that's before any of the actors entered on the stage. That's really the only part where I feel when motion sickness could be a problem. So for those with motion sickness problems who want to see Ghost - I wouldn't worry too much about it. I got through it okay being so close to the effects and all~

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#21Ghost
Posted: 5/25/12 at 9:18pm

the projections were wonderful. They gave me an authentic feeling I was in NY. Kudos to the designer!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#22Ghost
Posted: 5/26/12 at 3:05am

Except their loft was on Main street in DUMBO but the view out of their window was Manhattan as seen from Williamsburg. I don't ever remember getting to Brooklyn by flying through the city to the Bronx.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#23Ghost
Posted: 5/26/12 at 8:04am

well then, please excuse my error.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

THEATRICAL100
#24Ghost
Posted: 5/26/12 at 8:27am

From what I hear, it will be on studentrush.org by July.

Marla: I have to go sing about a life I never led.

Videos