pixeltracker

Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....

Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....

taorminateatrogroup Profile Photo
taorminateatrogroup
#1Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:24am

Every time I try to post info about the phantom musical prequel on here to get some constructive critisism, I get nothing but crude, obscene and offensive remarks. Is it so much to ask, as an aspiring writer who really believes in his work of 10 years that people actually take time to read his script, listen to all the music before judging it and saying bad things about it. If by chance u Have read it and u think that it needs work, please tell me in a mature and professional fashion. And btw, my phantom prequel is a musical prequel to the BOOK phantom of the opera, NOT the ALW musical. And if you read it, you would know that.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:34am

This is a public internet forum. No one owes you a "professional" anything.

Your piece reeks of plagiarism. And if I was you, I'd start by using full words, not "u", "btw", etc.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 7/4/12 at 01:34 AM

taorminateatrogroup
#2Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:39am

I'm assuming you haven't read it either. Typical Internet troll. And I'll use any form of spelling I see fit. You must be such a big man sitting begin your PC correcting unnecessary spelling errors. Such a smart person you must be.

TheatreKid3
#3Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:39am

While I agree with your opinion of many people on this board, there is no denying that you borrowed from ALW's musical. I mean, it is called Angel of Music - a direct song title from PHANTOM.

I do encourage your project! Not many people would sit down an undertake the writing of a musical, and the fact you've been working on it for 10 years shows how passionate you are about the material. I wish you the best! Updated On: 7/4/12 at 01:39 AM

taorminateatrogroup
#4Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:40am

Theatre kid - you need to read the book and do research. It might help you. Angel of music was in the book. Look it up.

FindingNamo
#5Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:40am

Just keep reaching for those stars and keep working on that dream. Don't let anyone tell you "no." I had an acting teacher once tell me, "u'll nvr b a srius aktrezz nvr." Jsus Crst!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:42am

You're boring even as a sock puppet. Next time try to steal a piece that is less popular.

I am smart "btw", thanks for the nice compliment.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TheatreKid3
#7Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:42am

Oh I had no idea, and honestly most people won't. Sometimes things like that still violate copyright laws(or at least are ruled in violation) because they have been so commonly associated with something else, but as I said - I do wish you the best!

Updated On: 7/4/12 at 01:42 AM

taorminateatrogroup
#8Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:43am

Theate kid - thanks for the compliment. I wasn't trying to be a dick. But angel of music really is in the book. The name. I've read the book many times

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#9Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:43am

I truly miss legitimate meltdowns and witty sock puppets. Those were the days...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:50am

Whatever happened to Antonijan?!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jazzynat Profile Photo
jazzynat
#11Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 1:58am

I highly doubt you'll get people to read it if you come on here whining about how people aren't giving your work a chance. Us loving theatre doesn't mean we're required to give feedback.

Also, just because you don't like these responses doesn't mean we're being immature or trolls. This is not a disrespectful or mean reply but it is honest. Perhaps you should take a Book writing class where there's some peer review.

angelovett Profile Photo
angelovett
#12Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 3:11am

So, even though you'll probably hate me for not reading the full script and listening to every song, I figured I'd give your show a fair shot and went to the website and started by listening to the overture. I've only seen Phantom once quite a few years ago, but even so that overture reminded me a lot of ALW's music, so I find it hard to believe that a decent chunk of it, unintentional or otherwise, isn't borrowed.

Then I tried listening to "The Living Corpse" and I'm not quite sure how to word my issues with it. Plodding, maybe? It almost feels like I can hear the actor tapping his foot to make sure the speak-singing isn't off beat (especially on the line "its apparent face").

Finally, the lyrics:music ratio seems to be a bit off. In this case, the line "on this devil which makes angels cry" which I'm not even sure if that's what is said as the line is just blurted out all at once to squeeze it out before the next beat. After not caring for this two songs, I figured the rest of the music wouldn't appeal to me and stopped there. However, I applaud your passion in your project and wish you the best with it.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 3:28am

Forbidden Broadway should hire this guy to write parodies of LOVE NEVER DIES..so awful it sounds like a parody.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

willep
#14Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 3:41am

I don't mean to be a jerk, and I do agree that some people on here are overly cruel, but just reading your posts and seeing your spelling and grammar mistakes there doesn't really make me want to read an entire script that you wrote.

"You must be such a big man sitting begin your PC correcting unnecessary spelling errors. Such a smart person you must be."

I assume that "begin" is a typo of "behind"? But aside from that, you are accusing blaxx of correcting unnecessary spelling errors, meaning the spelling errors that you made are unnecessary. Well, I completely agree that your spelling errors are unnecessary and think that if you are a writer you should not make unnecessary spelling errors, and when unnecessary spelling errors are made, they should be correct. We live in a world where if you want to be taken seriously in business, you have to show professionalism. If you send out a resume or cover letter with typos or "u" and "btw" on it, you will immediately be dismissed. Putting yourself out there on a place like this is similar if you ask me; if you want to be taken seriously, present yourself professionally and show people that you should be taken seriously.

Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, just throwing my two cents in to help you out in the future.

jimmycurry01
#15Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 4:06am

Your overture is clearly stolen from Andrew Lloyd Webber. Slowing the tempo does not count as writing it yourself. It is there for all the world to hear. I have listened to it myself. You cannot be taken seriously while denying the obvious.

Right now, you are the troll. You show up touting clearly plagiarized work as your own while demanding to be taken seriously, and acting confused when your faults are repeatedly pointed out to you. Perhaps all of us need to start writing to RUG pointing out your overture so that they can put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

Oh, and by the way, your title still leaves me confused. Eric was not known as The Angel of Music at all until Christine mistakes him for the angel. If this is a prequel, why allude to that time in the title?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#16Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 5:33am

I went back for a second listen, parts are littered with webbers music, the songs left me cold. Good luck, but my life is richer without this in it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#17Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 6:33am

Dear OP,

I'm sure I'm not the only poster at this board who sometimes works as a professional dramaturg. We get paid to do the work you are demanding be done. Yes, I make exceptions for very close friends, but I don't know you, and your play is not based on subject matter that particularly intrigues me.

None of this should discourage you from writing. I'm not saying yours is a bad idea, just that I don't personally care about things related to the Phantom.

I wish you the best with your project. But script and musical analysis are actual jobs. You have no more right to demand that people here do them for you for free than you have a right to demand that we type your pages or record your songs.

(JUST SO THERE IS NO MISUNDERSTANDING: I do not do dramaturgical work for people I do not know. This is NOT in any way a solicitation for employment.)

iluvtheatertrash
#18Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 8:48am

As someone who has received support and advice from many a member on this board, like the great Gaveston, I can attest that the only reason you've received a vitriolic response is because your musical is a plagiarized mess that no one can take seriously.

I'm a writer, too. I get how hard it is. And how painful it is to hear your work isn't strong. But if you write something [and while I haven't read your libretto, I have listened to your demo] so blatantly plagiarized, you need to be prepared for the fall-out. Putting your work out there means you'll get a wide array of opinions, many of which you don't want.

P.S. Insulting everyone is not a good way to get what you want.

P.P.S There's already a Phantom prequel musical. It's called "Phantom". It's by Maury Yeston. Google is your friend. The End.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#19Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 8:56am

Having posted here on and off since 2003, seeing many come and go via hissy fits, threat of legal action and finally death, I offer three words of advice which, since I don't know you, I provide with unbiased, objective neutrality: Get over yourself. Sooner rather than later.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/4/12 at 08:56 AM

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#20Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 9:12am

Tao....group, I wish you all the best. I have not checked out your work. All I know is that if I was putting my heart and soul into something like this and if I was really passionate about it, I certainly would not put it on here and expect any constructive criticism from this bunch. Here, the discussion is much more about putting people down and making fun of people than about being passionate about theater. That is the reality of this forum. All the best to you!

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
AEA AGMA SM
#22Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 9:34am

"P.P.S There's already a Phantom prequel musical. It's called "Phantom". It's by Maury Yeston. Google is your friend. The End."

Yeston's Phantom is not a prequel, but another adaptation of the Leroux novel, though it does stray a good bit further from Leroux than Webber's version did.

iluvtheatertrash
#23Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 9:41am

It's not a prequel? Why did I always think it was? Isn't there some business with the Phantom's father owning the Opera House or something?

I've only ever seen it once, in a community theatre, YEARS ago... Oops!

iluvtheatertrash
#24Some of the people on this board amaze me sometimes....
Posted: 7/4/12 at 9:41am

We really need a freaking "like" button on this board.

Videos