pixeltracker

Cinderella opening Feb 2013 @ Broadway Theatre- Page 3

Cinderella opening Feb 2013 @ Broadway Theatre

AnythingGoes23
#50Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:11am

It could be a big show any why not if they have the budget. Be a tough sell but if its done right, could do well. Rogers & Hammerstein sell still.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#51Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 10:24am

Not according to the revival of Oklahoma

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#52Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 11:19am

William Ivy Long is costuming...should be lavish.

AEA AGMA SM
#53Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 11:57am

That's always good news in my book, jules. I think that man is a living legend. His portfolio and the number of looks that I would consider iconic (in the theatre world, at least) is extremely impressive.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#54Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 1:23pm

Website online: http://cinderellaonbroadway.com/

Tagline: "Glass slippers are so back."

Updated On: 8/8/12 at 01:23 PM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#55Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 1:27pm

"Put a direct line in to your fairy godmother for exclusive updates."

Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#56Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 1:38pm

if that tagline is setting the tone of this production, i'm not interested.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#57Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 1:54pm

>Rogers & Hammerstein sell still.<

>Not according to the revival of Oklahoma<

For that matter State Fair (1996), The Sound of Music (1999), Flower Drum Song (2003) were all failures (and the Flower Drum revisal was especially egregious), and Carousel (1994), despite hosannas and awards, only ran 11 months. I can't recall if The King & I recouped (1996), but it may not have, since the show was expensive to mount and run. I think South Pacific is the only recent revival of a R&H title that had reviews, awards and box office. Beane is also yet to have a hit musical and I wonder if his arch style of humor will be a good mesh with Rodgers & Hammerstein, but I hope it works. More R&H on Broadway is a good thing.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

degrassifan
#58Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 2:30pm

Not surprised it's in a big theater. I expected lavish sets and spectacle.

Also, based on the names of the characters in the press release, I see they are going back to the story's french roots, given that the Cinderella version we all know (fairy godmother, magic pumpkins, glass slipper) is a french fairy tale. I wonder how the competition will be next season if and when Ever After opens, which also takes place in France. Just a random thought.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#59Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 2:52pm

Huge sets don't sell tickets.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#60Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 3:24pm

Phantom of London - not necessarily, but they can sometimes help carry/sell a show. Look at Miss Saigon, Phantom, Spider-Man, etc. Tourists love a big spectacle.

beautywickedlover
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#62Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/8/12 at 8:20pm

"And apparently in this updated version there’s a twist — Cinderella gets to save the Prince in the end — although details beyond that are scarce. "

Ugh why?!?! I hope it works better here than it did for Little Mermaid.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayguy22089
#63Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:21am

"^ It will be a great season even though 'Cinderella' be considered an original Broadway musical at the Tonys. It will be considered for Best Revival of Musical at the Tonys. despite the fact that this will be the first time that the show has played on Broadway. At this year's Laurence Olivier Awards, 'Andrew Llyod Webber's: The Wizard of Oz' was nominated for Best Musical Revival even though it was playing in the West End for the the first time."

The Wizard of Oz was nominated for Best Musical when it was originally in the West End in 1987. It was done by RSC. It originally starred Imelda Staunton (sp?) as Dorothy. Gillian Bevan was her replacement (and can be heard on the 1989 cast album). True, it wasn't the ALW production. It was actually leaps and bounds better (in my opinion).

beautywickedlover
#64Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:43am

^ Oh I didn't know that it got a nomination. On a side note the Barbican Theatre, where it played, is not West End theatre.

Updated On: 8/9/12 at 12:43 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#65Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:48am

^West End or not, it was still better than the Webber Wizard Rainbow Mix.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#66Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 1:02am

Carousel, to be fair, was a Lincoln Center production, though. I believe there was even some talk of a transfer, but it played the Vivian Beaumont for quite a long time, all things considered, and has never been a huge, easy sell.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#67Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 1:56am

So, this WILL be considered revival? Was this the same case for the production of LITTLE SHOP with Hunter Foster and Kerry Butler being considered revival?

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#68Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 1:57am

I would love to see "Falling in Love" in it, but they would need to lower the keys for Harris's husky voice.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#69Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 2:18am

Little Shop was a revival because it was such an established show. I guess *maybe* they could argue if this one's a revival or not based on just how new the book is? (It sounds like it's pretty much a complete re-write).

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#70Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 2:20am

"^ Oh I didn't know that it got a nomination. On a side not the Barbican Theatre, where it played, is not West End Theatre."

But it might as well be since productions there are eligible for Olivier Awards.

JohnyBroadway
#71Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:16pm

I would think it would be considered Revival, because of it's popular national tour and several film presentations.

Updated On: 8/9/12 at 12:16 PM

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#72Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:21pm

I think I perfromed in this a few years ago..... I performed in Cinderella but I don't know if it was this version. Anyone know? The opening number was something like "Cinderella, Cinderella it's the tale of Cinderella. There'll be magic and suprises, and spells with magic wands."

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

AEA AGMA SM
#73Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:23pm

My personal guess, it will be deemed a revival, but Douglas Carter Beane will have reworked the book enough that he will be eligible for best book.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#74Cinderella opening Feb 2012 @ Broadway Theatre
Posted: 8/9/12 at 12:26pm

Yeah, Quiche, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's not the R&H production.

Videos