pixeltracker

Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?

Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:19pm

I was thinking the other day that they should put the tour in the theatre at Madison Square Garden in January after Grinch closes to capitalize on the release of the film, but they probably have tour dates scheduled already.

Jim Colyer Profile Photo
Jim Colyer
#2Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:26pm

I have never seen this show. Hopefully, someday I will.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:27pm

I saw the tour this past Sunday night. It is a remarkable production with a standout cast. I hated the tour the first time when I saw it back in 2011 because of the cast I saw, but I LOVED it when I saw it the second time. This should be on Broadway, the quality and talent are there.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Carmilla
#4Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:35pm

I had heard that last year that the tour was eventually going to come to Broadway similar to how the Hair tour had come back last summer. When this year's dates were announced, I had expected to see a Broadway stop listed. Maybe it's finally going to happen next year?

JohnyBroadway
#5Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:36pm

Ms. Betsy Morgan is giving a 110% performance nightly as fantine!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:44pm

Carmilla: I heard that too!

Hopefully whichever Broadway theatre they get will be roomy enough to not look cramped. I liked most of the new set design, but the Paris slums were just so cramped!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#7Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:49pm

Just bought front row tickets for when it comes through Philadelphia again this January.
I went into the show with such low expectations last winter, expecting to hate it because it was just another British 80’s megamusical, but WOW was I blown away. Gorgeously directed, performed, designed, and deeply moving. I absolutely adore this revival and hope it ends up on Broadway so I can get even more opportunities to see it.

bwayphreak234
#8Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 8:59pm

Hopefully whichever Broadway theatre they get will be roomy enough to not look cramped. I liked most of the new set design, but the Paris slums were just so cramped!

The set design looks crammed no matter what. The proscenium is tall and narrow, which make for some bad sight lines for seats off to the side. The Paris slums in particular did look pretty crammed.

mikey2573
#9Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:07pm

Does "The Death of Gavroche" still get a laugh? When I first say LES MIZ back when I was a kid (in it original staging), the death of Gavroche was very powerful.
When I saw the tour, the death of Gavroche garnered snickers (not the candy bar) from the audience.
Have they changed the staging so his death happens on stage, where you can see it? Or do you still only HEAR him dying, followed by one of the revolutionaries screaming, "Nooooooo!" ?
(That's where the laugh came in.)

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#10Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 9:19pm

I laughed. Eugh I’d blocked that out…I hate children in musicals that don’t serve a purpose other than to be cute little kids.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#11Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 10:02pm

I was not the biggest fan of this production of Les Mis. The music felt sped-up to me, and I thought the use of the paintings (SPOILER: Especially in the scene when Jean Valjean enters the sewers) was tacky.

I saw the San Francisco stop of the tour this summer, and just felt that the production lacked the emotional depth that I've seen in previous LES MIS productions.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#12Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 10:04pm

And My Oh My will be here in 3... 2...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#13Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 10:20pm

I liked the production overall when I saw the tour, but yes, the music was too sped up in parts. I especially missed the dramatic pause before "I Dreamed A Dream"; it was a bit jarring when the the song started immediately after "At the End of the Day".

Still, the story itself is moving and I enjoyed myself. I do hate those MIDI-like orchestrations, though.

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Rabekriegerin
#14Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 10:32pm

I managed to catch this twice (in PA early on, then later in CT); let me just say that, should Varela be playing Javert, I will require no more convincing to revisit it.

bwayphreak234
#15Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 10:49pm

Andrew Varela and Betsy Morgan gave two of the most remarkable performances I have seen in my life.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#16Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 11:02pm

If the tour does transfer to Broadway, retaining them, they will hands down win Tonys for Best Featured Actor/ Actress. Beautiful.

bwayphreak234
#17Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/12 at 11:32pm

^ I concur. Andrew Varela gave the second best performance I have ever seen by an actor... His Javert is second to his Phantom. Betsy Morgan is right behind Sutton Foster in Anything Goes for best performance I have seen from an actress. Their talent is astounding.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 11:53am

Have they changed the staging so his death happens on stage, where you can see it? Or do you still only HEAR him dying, followed by one of the revolutionaries screaming, "Nooooooo!" ?

No, they hadn't changed it when I saw it. And that was Joseph Spieldenner's incredible Grantaire. IMO he really sells it, but it can also backfire.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Outoftowner2
#19Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 11:57am

Saw this tour months ago. It's Les Miserables so it's great, but I prefer the original version to the 25th anniversary. I want to see the death of Gavroche. I want to hear "Empty Chairs" without worrying that dead people are going to step on tiny little candles. Just saw the original in London to get my fix, amazing. I will see the tour again in the spring when it comes back to my area. It's Les Miserables so it's great!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#20Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 12:19pm

I want Alfie Boe to play the role (or Ramin Karimloo). Arguably two of the best male voices who could play this role.

I miss the show so much-it was my first Broadway show-and they say you never forget your first. How true!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#21Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 12:25pm

I hope Daphne comes back...

Seriously.

p.s.
#22Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 12:32pm

The first time I saw this production at Paper Mill, there was audible reaction from that one woman who was fighting at the barricade and had a view of Gavroche getting killed. Grantaire's face was indeed heartbreaking. It was changed so that Grantaire's reaction is the most audible, matching the heartwrenching look upon his face. Either way, it didn't matter that Grantaire didn't actually see the boy die.

p.s. Gavroche's death is on stage, although behind the barricade.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#23Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 3:44pm

This will do well on Broadway again, Brantley loves the show:

'is the best of the mega-musicals of its era'

Brantley didn't like the production as it was old and he felt he has seen it many times before:

'Imagine, for one drowsy second, that you are a child who has asked Daddy to recite a favorite bedtime story: the one about the kindly escaped convict who is chased around France by an evil policeman.

It’s still a good story, but Daddy has delivered it so many times before — night after night after night — that his heart just isn’t in it. In fact he seems kind of bored by even the most exciting parts. Lulled instead of stimulated by the familiar tale, you find yourself slipping into dreamland sooner than you ever planned.'

I would assume this re-imagined Les Miserables, will give Brantley, the freshness he is looking for.

2007 Les Miserables New York Times review.

FindingNamo
#24Les Miserables Tour Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/12 at 3:51pm

"I have never seen this show. Hopefully, someday I will."

The tour has a very dark skinned black lady in one of the leads, Jim Colyer, White Supremacist. I'm sure you'll want to stay very far away from this tour.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none