Annie Preview Thread

JBC2
#150Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 3:37pm

I'll be in NY the middle of November and was planning on seeing Annie, only because I've met Anthony Warlow but have never seen him perform. But, all this talk of the audience being rude, talkative, etc. makes me think it might be better to save my money and just say hi to him at the stage door. Do you think that any particular day or time would be better than others to see the show? Are they having an "Adults Only" night?(Please!)

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#151Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 4:43pm

for what it's worth, he didn't stage door the night i saw it.

just see the show

binau Profile Photo
binau
#152Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/8/12 at 4:51pm

Also for what it's worth, he did stage door when he performed the role in Australia earlier this year.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/8/12 at 04:51 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#153Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 7:40am

I disagree with this entire thread about the overture. Yes, it's iconic. Yes it's beautiful. It's also a relic of eras gone by. Overtures are boring. Include it on the soundtrack if you must...

Clearly, Industrial Harpie isn't a serious theatergoer. (A) Finds Overtures passe and out dated. (B) Refers to a potential cast recording as a soundtrack.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#154Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 10:50am

I have to somewhat agree with the poster who said overtures are out-dated. I personally love overtures but audiences now are bored by them. I guess I would rather have a shorter overture than have an audience talk over a long one.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#155Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 11:05am

I saw the show yesterday and my thoughts are very mixed. I love this show, I love Katie Finneran, but this production could have been much better and Finneran is an absolute bore in a role that she could so ferociously sink her teeth into.

My main problems with the show start with the choreography. Blankenbuehler did a wonderful job choreographing IN THE HEIGHTS and 9 TO 5, but he applies the same type of "stilted," "mechanical" movement to ANNIE, and it didn't work at all for me. The big numbers in this show should be joyously bright, but Blankenbuehler has seemingly sucked a lot of the old-school joy out of the dancing, save the final number. "NYC" is a huge letdown, and the choreography for "Hard Knock Life" is uninspired. Another major issue I had with the show were the sets. The stage at the Palace is MASSIVE and with numbers like "NYC," I would hope to see more than a cheesy "Roxy" sign and a fake skyline. I wasn't very much impressed with the mansion set, either.

And my final big issue with this production is, I hate to say, Katie Finneran. The woman is a comedic genius; I have no problem professing my love for her. But her Hannigan is so boring, it's a crime. There are certainly glimmers of what could be a truly wonderful portrayal, and I have faith Finneran will hone her performance as the preview period goes on, but as of now, she is a letdown. She seemed to be holding back the entire time, as if someone told her to rein it in during rehearsals or something. She should be doing the complete opposite. If she lets go, lets herself have fun with the role, and starts to play with the endless comedic opportunities this character offers, she could really be something.

The three best things about this production were, for me, Anthony Warlow, the wonderful orchestrations, and the stunningly talented Lilla Crawford. Warlow brings warmth and a gorgeous singing voice to Warbucks; I hope this isn't his last foray on the New York stage. This brilliant score sounds excellent thanks to fantastic orchestrations, and also to the true backbone of this production, Crawford. Her voice is absolutely breathtaking. "Tomorrow" sounded entirely fresh and beautiful when she belted it out, filling the massive Palace with her larger-than-life voice. And her acting is great as well. She manages to be tough without being bratty and adorable without being annoying. And her chemistry with Warlow, as others have said, couldn't be stronger.

All in all, this is a fine revival of a wonderful show. Look, they're clearly not trying to reinvent the wheel with this one, and that's fine...but I couldn't help but be reminded of the last CHORUS LINE and WEST SIDE revivals, which I enjoyed enough, as sort of "museum pieces", but felt no urgency in. There is really nothing spectacular about this production, save Crawford, but the strength of the book and score can't be denied. Something about this production kept it from reaching that level of being great entertainment. As it is, it's just fine.

Cat2
#156Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 11:12am

I was grateful to win the lottery, but I felt I missed some sitting so close. When Sandy first makes an appearance, I couldn't see him. This was a big disappointment for the kids sitting in the front. The stage is high, so I think it would be better seeing the show from the front mezzanine.
Anthony Warlow and Lilla Crawford are the best reasons to see the show. The second act is better than the first. The NYC number was a little disappointing; the dancing and the set should have been more elaborate.
Overall, I had a good time and enjoyed the show.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#157Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 12:46pm

I saw the show last night- and I can echo a great deal of what has been said already.

The good- and I do believe there is a lot of it ranges from good to great. Anthony Warlow is a revelation as Warbucks. His voice soars, but what I found so great was his approach to the role. I love how his Warbucks never lost all of the grit that got him to the top. The small touch of having his "NYC" accent come through from time to time was a perfect touch.

Lilla Crawford as everyone has said simply blew me away. Never once plays it too cute or tounge in cheek and has a voice that is truly a gift from God- very impressive young lady.

The supporting cast is very good, and I think O'Maley is a gorgeous woman with an equally gorgeous voice- she shines in a part that many others wouldn't have made the most of.

Loved the set, thought that the new orchestrations were fantastic. Liked the includsion of "We've Got Annie" into the song "Annie". The show really moves and seems very well suited to the Palace Theater. Act II was the stronger of the two acts for me, but that has a lot to do with the bad...

The bad- there are no two ways about it, and I was one of the people on this board jumping for joy over her casting- Katie Finneran isn't cutting it. Watching her last night she reminded me of Sherie Renee Scott in The Little Mermaid- she was basically sleep walking through it. Her performance is all over the map and I literally felt like I was at the Broadway Theater watching Promises Promises again- and I loved her in that show, but she just never finds her footing in this role. I think there were times that Little Girls and Easy Street were also out of her vocal range- which shocked me.

Easy Street, along with Rooster and Lily were duds for me. I will admit his Ralph Mudge was amazing, but too little too late. Easy Street never takes off- you sit there and wait for that dance break and it just goes nowhere. I have actually never seen a production of Annie before where that number isn't one of the top 3 everyone walks out of the theater with.

Didn't really care for "New Deal For Christmas" being turned into a partial tap number, and prefer the sound effects table to make the taping effect for Bert Healey- no need to give your actor a tap solo there- just my preference.

One of the biggest problems is that the show gets off to a really bad start- and I don't care what anyone says- that Overture is perfection- and to have it end right before the first down beats of Hard Knock Life is criminal. The film strip at the begining does noting to further the show. Unlike Billy Elliot where your audience was gaining a better understading of the show- this is Annie for God's sake! We know that they were in the midst of a depression and that times were just flat out awful.

The chorus numbers lack some depth of sound- don't really know how to fix that because I know its a relatively small cast- but pump up the volume or something- they need a touch more "oomph"

Bottom line- its a good production that needs some changes made before opening- which I doubt they will get. The house was good and full last night and people went nuts over simple things- its Annie folks. Lapine is a fine director- but there are a handful of times, the Overture being one of the biggest where he is trying to be TOO clever. If it ain't broke... and sometimes you need to realize you can't improve on something like the Overture to Annie. I think the way the show is now, we can expect mixed to positive reviews with raves for Warlow and Crawford.

Owen22
#158Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 3:09pm

I haven't seen the show yet, but from witnessing the HORRIBLE directing in Encore's "Merrily" I'm guessing Lapine is just continuing to be the horribly lazy director he's somehow turned into.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#159Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 4:12pm

"I have to somewhat agree with the poster who said overtures are out-dated. I personally love overtures but audiences now are bored by them."

Really?! They can't just sit and listen to 6 minutes worth of live music without getting bored?!

I'm sorry, but if anyone gets bored that easily, maybe they should stay home and watch TV, because it has rotted their brain.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#160Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 4:21pm

Audiences today are not bored with overtures. They are just not educated.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#161Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 4:37pm

To 90% of audience members at any show with an overture, it's six minutes of live music during which they believe they can still scream to each other, unwrap candy, and play on their phones. It's sad.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#162Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 5:05pm

Wait. I keep reading six minutes. Was the original ANNIE overture six minutes long?

booth0882 Profile Photo
booth0882
#163Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 5:07pm

Well the Overture on the OBCR is 3:21. And the 30th Anniversary recording it is 4 minutes.

Updated On: 10/9/12 at 05:07 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#164Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 5:08pm

It is sad, and annoying, but honestly, in a way I think that speaks to why a show like Annie *should* keep its overture. You have a lot of kids and theatre novices who do need a few minutes to settle and, well shut up. As much as I hate all the talking that seems to go on during overtures for musicals, that can help get the kids (and, frankly, a lot of the adults) all settled by the time the curtain rises.

Wickedrocks--it's too bad to hear that about the choreography. As you imply, Blankenbuehler just seems to be the wrong fit for this show.

booth0882 Profile Photo
booth0882
#165Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 5:09pm

EricMontreal22 makes a good point about a show with likely quite a few kids in the audience.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#166Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 5:34pm

I do have to say that most of the kids around me at last night's performance were very well behaved. Some of them got a bit restless towards the end, but they quieted down quickly after their parents said something to them. I didn't even realize how many kids were around me until the show ended and I stood up to leave.

Vermont
#167Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 8:03pm

Saw show on Thursday and absolutely loved it. Going by the standing ovation I would say I was not alone. My favorite parts were the big songs by the orphans, especially "Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile". Normally you see kids attempting to act, here you saw actors, period. So professional and talented. Warbucks was Warbucks from the moment he entered the stage. He owned the role. Roosevelt, although a smaller role, was likewise perfect. If I could change a couple things, I'd like more dancing. I believe there was only 1 big dance number before the finale. Easy Street could be much bigger. Is miss Hannigan drunk or hungover? (Minor issue I know). All and all I would highly recommend this musical.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#168Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 10:44pm

"Going by the standing ovation I would say I was not alone."

Let's stop judging shows by standing ovations. EVERYTHING gets one. EVERYTHING. (Usually.)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#169Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/9/12 at 10:56pm

Cry-Baby got a standing ovulation both times I saw it. 'Nuff said.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#170Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/10/12 at 12:03am

Saw the first preview, and again tonight!

The show is shaping and getting better and better, and I think with a few more weeks of previews, it will be near perfect.

They re-blocked Hard Knock Life from start to finish, and is so much better! I liked Katie the first preview, and think she's getting even better- the audience around me was eating her up.

Lilla and Anthony are still the stars of the show- Lilla is a knockout in the acting and vocal department, and Anthony melts your heart!

Can't wait to see it again after it opens! :)

karatekid1 Profile Photo
karatekid1
#171Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:58am

I live in California and I'm studying for Midterms. i would love to be able to hear the orchestrations for this revival.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#172Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/10/12 at 11:42am

Here's a shot from a Vanity Fair shoot of Katie, Anthony and Lilla

Here

Vermont
#173Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/10/12 at 3:45pm

Do me a favor and Read the entire message. Clearly not based solely on the ovation. If I don't like it I don't stand. I loved it so I stood. Maybe I'm assuming too much that others were in agreement with me and that is why they stood. The point of my message was very clear, so I'm surprised you missed it: Annie is worth seeing. End of story.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#174Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/10/12 at 3:48pm

Vermont, I wouldn't take it so personally. Your review made it clear that you enjoyed the show, and was an interesting read. But I did know as soon as I read your line about it getting a standing ovation, people on here would comment on that (and fair enough, as is pointed out constantly here, most things, particularly musicals, get an almost obligatory one so it doesn't really say much anymore).