is BRING IT ON worth seeing?

jbm2
#1is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 12:36pm

heading to the city next week- I have seen most of the big shows... wondering if Bring It On is worth seeing?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 12:55pm

You know, I was completely turned off by this show but saw it with a comp last night and really, really enjoyed it. It is a lot of fun and the cast is very talented. I'd recommend it over somethng like Chaplin.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 12:56pm

If it's free.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

jbm2
#3is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 12:57pm

its not free.. but on TDF.
How do you get "comp" tickets?

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#4is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:05pm

It was worth the price of a rush ticket. That's about it. The cast is insanely talented vocally and the gymnastics are spectacular.

The book is something off of ABC Family though and while the score has its moments, the instrumentation is pretty awful. Most of it sounded like a synthesizer and computerized DJ equipment.

I actually enjoyed Chaplin a lot more if only because of the performances by Rob McClure, Christiane Noll, and Jenn Colella.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

BroadwayBen
#5is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:36pm

I saw it in Chicago and thought it was fantastic. Much better than I expected. The New York reviews were pretty positive too. Haven't seen CHAPLIN but the reviews I read were bad.

jbm2
#6is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:38pm

I've read some pretty positive reviews too.
I have no interest in Chaplin.

thevolleyballer
#7is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:40pm

Yes, if you're under 25.

EDIT: I didn't mean this negatively. I think the show is tons of fun. But I haven't met a single under-25-year-old who hasn't loved it. Updated On: 10/11/12 at 01:40 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:43pm

It is very much a gulty pleasure show like Rock of Ages, only Bring it On has a completely original plot and score....
I was extremely surprised how much I liked the show. Its only connection to the movie franchise is its name and that its plot revolves around cheerleading. Its plot most closely resembles Bring It On: All or Nothing (the Hayden Panettiere, Seyonce, and Rihanna one), but its plot is similar yet completely different at the same time.

What I think makes the show so surprisingly enjoyable is its modern score, as well as its self mocking. It is basically makes fun of all the cheesy parts of of the films and other teen movies, and embraces them at the same time.

Would I pay full price for a ticket??? Definitely not, but it is definitely worth the price of a rush/discounted ticket.

jeffmiele
#9is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 1:55pm

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Is it groundbreaking theater? No. But it is exactly what it sets out to be. A lot of fun.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#10is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:03pm

If the ticket is cheap, nothing ground breaking, nothing you will remember twenty minutes later!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Rainbowhigh23
#11is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:19pm

Absolutely worth seeing! It's a very funny show and the stunts are amazing. The cast really gives their all, not one was calling it in. Saw it was a comp, too and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would think if you paid full price you would get your money's worth, too.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#12is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 2:21pm

No.

The first act is really boring, the "rapping" sounds like Sesame Street and don't get too close, you lose the "illusion" they are not really teenagers.

" only Bring it On has a completely original plot and score.... "

Um, please show me where that is the case with this show? The score is either Disney or terrible "hip hop" at all times. The story is worse than movies it "mocks" because it isn't original nor is it funny. I guess insulting your audience's intelligence is kinda new... or is it?

The only reason this show is on Broadway is because it's cheaper for the producers (even when they're losing money).

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 8:17pm

Iam over 25, well over, and really enjoyed it. It's Brimg it On. I think we know not to expect riveting theatre but to expect a fun show, and that it is.

Just give the world Love.

grumpyoptimist
#14is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/10/12 at 8:31pm

As others have said, it's a FUN show. If you go looking for "Death of a Salesman", you'll be disappointed. If you go with an open mind, and soak in the fact that this show has the largest number of debuts in Broadway history and feel the energy and enthusiasm that comes from this amazingly talented cast, you might just like it. I know I did (and I've lapped 25).

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#15is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/11/12 at 2:02am

If you're someone like me who enjoys shows like Legally Blonde or Lysistrata Jones - it's totally right up your alley - upbeat score, charming cast, and incredible cheer-leading stunts. I loved the show - I thought the score was so diverse, but really showcased the talents of all the trio of lyricists behind it and they blended well together.

I think the cast is full of wonderful performers who are only just beginning, and it's exciting and there's such a strong connection and joy with what happens on stage. A lot of my friends who have seen it with reservations came out really loving it, so take that for what you will.

Is it the second coming or anything? No. But, it's a ton of fun and really a great time.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#16is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/11/12 at 9:05am

Yes. I was completely surprised by this show and ended up seeing it multiple times. Enjoy!

tamra2
#17is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/11/12 at 3:25pm

I love Bring It On and I al also well above 25. The osngs are catchy, the cast is talented, and the choreography is very impressive with all of the stunting. Like ithers have said you can't expect an emotional dramatic story worthy of a pulitzr, but you can expect a really fun story that actually has a very sweet/heart warming message done in a uncheese like way.

Would I compare it to a fun show like Lysistrata Jones, gosh no. Every one has different opinions and I hated Lysistrata beyond words, but loved this. I think if you have an interest you should just go see it and judge for yourself :)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/11/12 at 3:36pm

Saw it in Chicago and had a great time. The show was designed to be fun and entertaining and for me and those I saw the show with, it succeeded in both.

And if you fear the "illusion" of adults playing teenagers, it's best not to attend any theatre. Or go to the movies. Or watch TV. And if you're looking for authentic hip-hop and rap that sounds like the radio, then go to a concert rather than a musical where the genre is modified to lend itself to storytelling and appeal to broader audiences. But if you love the score to In the Heights, you will enjoy his contributions to Bring It On. Whether or not the score sounds "Disney" or "Sesame Street" is really based on your own expectations. I found the score resembled neither, though I don't have a problem with Disney or Sesame Street to begin with.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#19is BRING IT ON worth seeing?
Posted: 10/11/12 at 3:49pm

I'm over 25, did the rush with a friend-and we loved it-for what it was-sheer fun. The choreography is fabulous and the cast is talented. I enjoyed it (and I'm not typically into this kind of show). I say go and enjoy!

Videos