pixeltracker

Streisand Gypsy is still on....- Page 4

Streisand Gypsy is still on....

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#75Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:18pm

Yes, the woman is touring the world performing to sold out audiences everywhere from Brooklyn to Israel precisely because she can't sing anymore.

Roscoe
#76Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:21pm

Eeeesh -- that video really cements it. Sad. It barely passes muster in a concert setting, I guess, but there's no way I can see her doing it in a film as a full-out performance. Of course, in these days of auto-tuning who knows what might be possible, but I just can't say I'm even remotely interested in finding out. God knows people would turn out to see her in a filmed reading an iPod instruction manual, and demand blood sacrifice if she didn't pick up an Oscar for it.

She's just too old for GYPSY. Period. It might still happen, but I doubt it, frankly, and anyway I couldn't care less -- I'd never sit through it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 4/22/13 at 04:21 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#77Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:24pm

It will start in an old folks home. And Babs will be telling her life story to a book writer. It will all be done in flash back and they will digitally make Babs look like she did in Funny Girl.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#78Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:25pm

Not only can she not sing the score, but she can't just stick to the written lyrics either.

I love Streisand's early recordings, but she has, with time and stardom, become a narcissistic and pretentious ego trip on parade. And I'm against a film of GYPSY period. It works so well on the stage? Why bother f*cking it up with Rob Marshall-bullsh*t and a lot of quick cuts, etc., the way most musicals are filmed today.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#79Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:33pm

I saw The Guilt Trip the other day, and I liked it well enough. She was funny in it and the movie itself was cute, but no matter what anyone says (I don't think they've said it yet on this thread, but they've said it in other Barbara Gypsy threads) that she looks ten or twenty years younger or whatever. She looks like a woman in her 70s who has had stuff done to her face. She moves like a woman in her 70s. And certain camera angles make her look like a putty sculpture version of that actress from the 60s and 70s named Barbra Streisand.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#80Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:21pm

Ugh that video is PATHETIC! My aunt can sing better than that.

Time to retire, Babs. And get on a treadmill.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#81Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:33pm

I want Barbra to end her career on a high note. Unfortunately, she can no longer hit the high note so while I wouldn't object to a musical as her cinematic swan song, I don't think Gypsy is it. Maybe Sunset Blvd? I thought about Mame but the problem with Barbra (especially theses day) is she just doesn't have that big Rose or Mame personality/eccentricity. A crazy diva like Norma would be a better fit.

I know it's a pipe dream but how about Barbra coming back to Broadway and finally legitimizing her EGOT with that elusive Tony (sorry, Star of the Decade does not count).

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#82Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:34pm

"There's nothing tragic about being 75, not unless you try to be 40."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#83Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:37pm

She should take a lesson from Julie Andrews on how to adapt to changing abilities and the passage of time. Julie is still at the the top of her game, but it's a totally different game now. She has reinvented herself as an actress, performer, spokes person, narrator, and done a fine job of it.

She's not still struggling to do things she can't anymore.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Wilmingtom
#84Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:53pm

^

Not to mention children's book author.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#85Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:53pm

A few years back when Barbra was doing press for her cd "A Love Like Ours," she said that she was offered the film version of "Sunset Blvd" twice, but didn't have a desire to do it. She wanted the original version of the film to remain as is.

She would have been a wonderful Norma Desmond.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#86Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 6:04pm

I think her talent is enormous. I just think she's lost sight of who she is now, and she has surrounded herself with way too many people who tell her she can do anything.

Julie Andrews understands that as an established star (or "legend" if you will) there are many ways to communicate with a wide audience. It may not be the same as it was 50 years ago or even 20 years ago, but you can still say and do many things and stay connected to old fans and new ones.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#87Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 6:32pm

I think a "Gypsy" starring Barbra Streisand would be a huge mistake.

Having said that, the lady was spectacular at last year's Hollywood Bowl concert. Rich full performance that didn't mimic the Streisand sound of 1964, but was dazzling in its own right. And she still had the showbiz chops to command a crowd. Enough with the hate; give the woman her due.

And even though a movie of the ALW "Sunset Blvd" is so not something I'd like to see made, Streisand would in fact be a great fit for that.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#88Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 6:37pm

All those years ago I thought I was the one who 'discovered' Barbra as I clutched her LPs and put my ear up against our Stromberg Carlson{?} speakers to hear her every note.Now watching that video,seeing her do those silly little dance steps,squeezed into that unflattering 'outfit'-I will happily live with my memory of the voice that was.
But thank you Barbra for that memory.

Claudia Draper
#89Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 7:28pm

This is how she will look. This video was shot last month. Airbrushed & filtered to the max. Barbra serving land o lakes Vaseline realness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lTlHlkcs35M

Wilmingtom
#90Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/22/13 at 8:38pm

Vaseline nothin'! That was shot through oil cloth!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#91Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 3:23am

Yes, the woman is touring the world performing to sold out audiences everywhere from Brooklyn to Israel precisely because she can't sing anymore.

It's not that she can't sing anything, atj, or that she shouldn't. It's that she can't belt roles like Rose and Fannie Brice any more. (Not to mention that she'll look like June and Louise's grandmother.)

If Streisand wants to release an album of Harold Arlen (her favorite composer back in the day) ballads, I'll buy it in a New York minute!

all that jazz
#92Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 7:33am

That's why I said in one of my earlier posts that whether or not she's the right fit for this project is one thing, I'm just talking about her talents in general which although not as glorious as they were 40 years ago, still remain with her.

You're probabbly right, Gav, as much as I want her to do it, she shouldn't. However if she still wants to do it, I'll be the first one freaking out and applauding at the movie theater.

Frankly, I would prefer a Broadway legend like Patti, Bernadette or even Idina or Kristin. Sadly that's not happening.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#93Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:31am

I really wish she would re-consider and not do this. It's not a good fit. She would have been a force to be reckoned with if she had done this 30 years ago, but not now.

I wholeheartedly agree with besty's assessment regarding performers who with the passage of time have chosen to re-invent themselves. Barbra needs to re-think her career path and realistically consider the roles she can do versus those she cannot do.

The Oscar performance this year was a great indicator. I don't know if it was nerves but her voice just was not there...it sounded "shot". On the flip side of that coin Dame Shirley Bassey, shaky start and all hit "Goldfinger" out of the ball park. It also didn't help Barbra that she chose to wear her old hairstyle from "What's Up Doc?"

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#94Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:33am

Carlos, I thought she sounded only marginally better on her LIVE FROM THE VILLAGE VANGUARD special. She's still a great song stylist, but how many belt voices last forever? (I agree with you about Shirley Bassey's confidence, but I don't want to hear her sing "Rose's Turn".)

Sorry, jazz, I missed your qualification. Even if the voice were still there, I just don't see Streisand as a mother of young children.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#95Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:35am

Like Meryl in Mamma Mia, who played an ageless, early 40 something, I think Babs can do it. In the guilt trip, she had her son when she was 23 and unless Seth Rogen was playing a 50 year old, that means Barbara's character was only in her early 50s. Barbra can do it all! She will be the best Mama Rose ever seen! I hope she waits at least 5-7 more years, because she will only do the part more justice with age!

Updated On: 8/28/15 at 11:35 AM

all that jazz
#96Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 12:22pm

Gav, I don't see her either. She really shouldn't do it, but if she does I'll be excited and probabbly love it just because it's Barbra!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#97Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 1:06pm

Anyone who thinks Barbara Streisand can play Mama Rose is delusional. SHE CAN NO LONGER SING! She is not a great actress, and her face is so pulled back at this point she looks like a side show freak. She refined herself out of existence long ago.

This mashugana meeskite needs to retire at long last.

Updated On: 4/23/13 at 01:06 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#98Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 1:32pm

I hope they get a stellar "Louise/Gypsy". When the right actress is in that role it is just an amazing journey to see the transformation and in the right hands the "Final Strip" is simply electrifying.

all that jazz
#99Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/23/13 at 1:45pm

I kind of liked the idea of Gaga as Louise, who could be her Rose?

Idina and Lea would be perfect as Rose and Louise.

Videos