Les Miz sing along version?

Paciencia y fe Profile Photo
Paciencia y fe
#1Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 3:29pm

Didn't they re-release Mamma Mia! as a sing along version? Do you think they'll do the same for Les Miz?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 3:29pm

I imagine that would be hell on earth.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 3:32pm

PLEASE NO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#3Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 3:45pm

All those teens.... On My Own.... NO

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 3:47pm

...I feel like Mamma Mia, a movie that no one including its cast and team took seriously, is more conducive to that sort of thing than Les Miserables, a musical in which most of the characters die.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#5Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 4:02pm

All those off harmonies at the end of One Day More

"I can sing that high!" *sings a flat note two steps lower*

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 4:04pm

Not to mention it's so long and it's virtually endless singing.

I went to one of those sing a long Sound of Musics several years ago and it was fun for an hour or so, then it just became totally tedious. And that was without wall-to-wall music.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#7Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 4:34pm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a sing-along version of anything. Isn't that something you do in the shower or when nobody's home? I'd first plug my ears with heavy duty earplugs before even considering attending such an event.

Who wants to listen to a bunch of men attempt to sing all the girl parts? It's fun when I do it here at home, but that's only one queen, and that's enough for me!

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Plum
#8Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 4:54pm

If you want to watch the movie without a singalong you can...go to a regular screening. The Les Misérables score isn't as easily suitable to a singalong as something like Hairspray, but geez, why not let people have their fun?

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#9Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 4:58pm

Meh, I assumed half in here are being half-serious. Which is why I contributed half-seriously. We're hardly a threat to sing along versions of Les Mis. Why so serious? LOL.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

#10Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 5:26pm

At the end of the day *mumur mumur mumur*.. And we're counting our blessings!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 5:40pm

What a horrible idea. It's like Sing-Along Sweeney Todd, Sing-Along Umbrellas of Cherbourg, or Sing-Along Dancer In the Dark.

I'm guessing it works a little better with (generally) upbeat movie musicals.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 5:55pm

I don't know- I think a show like Les Mis, which is iconic in a way none of those above, not even Sweeney Todd, can match, WOULD generate buzz for "sing-it-yourself" screenings. Especially if they turned the subtitles on and the vocals off.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#13Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 5:56pm

Only good thing that could come out of this is that some of the audience members have better singing voices that Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried and drown them out.

Updated On: 1/5/13 at 05:56 PM

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#14Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:03pm

Actually, the town I grew up in had one showing only of a singalong version earlier this week. I don't know anyone who went but if I find out about how it was I can report back. The very thought makes me shudder, though.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 6:44pm

The screening I was at seemed to be a singalong version - albeit there were no words on the screen.

SporkGoddess
#16Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:29pm

It'd be hard to sing along to the movie version because a lot of times they talk or shout the lines.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

CarlosAlberto
#17Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:56pm

It's hard to do a sing-a-long version to Les Miz because some of the people in the film don't (know how to) sing at all.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 10:40pm

There's also a handful of songs that people know. And then the rest of the score.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#19Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/5/13 at 10:57pm

I'm thinking more about everyone knowing one of the various, cut versions and striking contorted WTF expressions throughout when they find themselves singing parts not included in the film.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#20Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/6/13 at 1:52am

I spoke to a friend earlier who attended the screening and apparently it was horrific. There were no lyrics on the screen so it was basically "sing what you know." The crowd was a mix of annoying teenagers wearing Les Mis sweatshirts from before they were born and senior citizens. Apparently everyone belted "On My Own," "One Day More," and "I Dreamed a Dream" and interjected and massacred whatever other random lyrics they knew.

Sounds like a good time.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#21Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/6/13 at 8:18am

I think a sing-a-long Les Mis would be absolutely torturous.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#22Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/6/13 at 10:32am

"Only good thing that could come out of this is that some of the audience members have better singing voices that Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried and drown them out."

Finally saw Les Mis the other day, my brain immediately began comparing aspects of Russell Crowe's singing to the gentleman who sings tracks 9, 11, and 12 on Florence Foster Jenkins Glory (????) of the Human Voice CD. Amanda Seyfried's voice didn't bother me as much as I was worried it would.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

CarlosAlberto
#23Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/6/13 at 11:24am

I would love to go to a sing-a-long version of Les Miz where Piet Arion is in attendance.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#24Les Miz sing along version?
Posted: 1/6/13 at 1:35pm

I will wait for the sing along at Outfest. This must be done with 1000 gay men.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!