pixeltracker

Les Miz on the Oscars. or Russell Crowe still can't sing- Page 3

Les Miz on the Oscars. or Russell Crowe still can't sing

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#50Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 6:15pm

Eddie Redmayne's singing voice pisses me off.

emjullee
#51Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 6:20pm

We also have to consider that the les mis cast had probably a day or two to rehearse and the movie cast haven't really been singing much after they finished the movie also, except for Samantha and Aaron (maybe).

But I listened to the musical medley a couple of times again and it was actually good. It takes time to get used to the new arrangement. It was good idea to include theater actors from west end and broadway. Just wondering, were schonberg, mackintosh and boublil involve in rearranging one day more? Were they in the rehearsals too? I like their stage blocking. Happy that the movie cast & theater company, who are les miz fans themselves, had their moment on stage. You could tell they were all proud and excited performing.

I guess it wasn't only me who noticed something was off with the mics and sound.

Updated On: 2/25/13 at 06:20 PM

boggess Profile Photo
boggess
#52Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 6:26pm

Crowe didn't receive applause when he first entered (that I noticed anyway), but after he started singing the crowd clapped and cheered. Or maybe they were just clapping for HBC and SBC's entrance.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#53Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 6:54pm

Catherine did a good job of lip-syncing....

As so often happens, best12bars gets to the bottom line in the fewest words. BTW and FWIW, I'm not damning CZJ for lip-synching; it may have been necessary for technical as well as vocal reasons in that barn of a theater. I just don't get the love.

(And Chita Rivera did more dancing while still singing live, so it is humanly possible. I don't know why Jennifer Hudson needs to dance during a song about standing still and "not going".)

It is my understanding that Zeta-Jones began as a dancer. She sings the small "dancer's" role on two STREET SCENE recordings I have; at least one was based on an actual production.
Updated On: 2/25/13 at 06:54 PM

WendiReichstein Profile Photo
WendiReichstein
#54Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 11:11pm

I really loved the Les Miz performance (of course any performance with Aaron Tveit I can't complain)! I do agree that Crowe's vocals aren't up to par (especially compared with some of those incredible Broadway veterans), but overall I loved the ensemble performance. Seeing everybody onstage together (for the last time) was amazing, and I love that the Oscars gave musical theatre a lot of love. I actually just did a video blog about the musical theater moments from last night's show…check it out and let me know if you agree! Lots of Aaron Tveit and Anne Hathaway love :)

http://stagedoordish.com/the-great-wendi-way-episode-4-broadway-takes-on-the-academy-awards/

-Wendi

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#55Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 11:12pm

I'm glad that I'm not the only person here who thinks that Eddie Redmayne's voice is unlistenable... I would have rather heard Russell Crowe sing for another hour than have been subjected to Eddie's nasal whine (while trying to achieve a vibrato by doing that weird chin wobble) for another minute. I found it that annoying.

I didn't realize that I had seen him before- then looked him up and realized that he was that guy who I hated so much in "RED". If I ever see his name on a marquee again, I'll know to not bother.

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#56Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/25/13 at 11:40pm

Eddie Redmayne's singing voice pisses me off.

You gonna be okay, sugar?

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#57Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 12:49am

Thank goodness for darreyl102. Almost two full pages and no one had even thought of mentioning that amazing performance from the always classy Dame Shirley Bassey.

She wiped the stage with everyone else last night. Just wonderful. She picked up the mic and said "I'll show these snitches how it's done." Then dropped the mic and walked off stage. Brava Dame Bassey, Brava!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#58Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 12:54am

She's talked about plenty in threads that aren't called Les Miz at the Oscars.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#59Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 5:31am

She totally MADE the night! i mean, she looked, sounded and performed amazing and showed everyone how a true Diva and Performer does it!!

Darreyl with an L!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#60Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 8:31am

I don't get why everyone goes on about how good Tveit is. I mean, sure, next to some of those singers he seems like Dame Joan but in the grand scheme of things, he's no better than a good chorus boy in that role, really.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#61Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 8:32am

"Eddie Redmayne's singing voice pisses me off."

Thank you. Speaking from a purely technical point, he does this strange tight closing of the throat to produce a fake "legit" sound that reminds me of Benny Hill mocking operetta singers. I'm always rather surprised to hear people ooh and aah about how beautiful they find the sound to be, because it strikes me as unintentionally comical.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#62Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 9:38am

Those film actors were terrible live. And it was quickly falling apart.

Thank goodness for the professional singers they brought in. It saved the whole thing.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#63Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 10:27am

"I'm glad that I'm not the only person here who thinks that Eddie Redmayne's voice is unlistenable."

To me it's painful to listen to. Also he is a handsome guy, but BWW referred to him last week in a news article as "heart-throb." I no-longer subscribe to TigerBeat but I can't imagine him appearing in it.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#64Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 10:38am

Those film actors were terrible live. And it was quickly falling apart.

I agree with this, the inconsistent mic levels just made it worse.
God, I wish they would have picked a better singer for Cosette. A soprano role goes to a barely-is-able-to-sing alto. SMDH.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#65Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:22am

Eddie Redmayne should NOT give a profile on stage. His chin, lips and nose are not good from a profile shot.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#66Oscar Thoughts
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:33am

God, I wish they would have picked a better singer for Cosette. A soprano role goes to a barely-is-able-to-sing alto. SMDH.

Shaking it with you, Carlos.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#67Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 2:01pm

WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT BARBRA IN A THREAD ABOUT LES MIZ

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#68Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 2:21pm

DON'T BULLY FOR BARBRA!

SporkGoddess
#69Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 3:37pm

Shaking it with you, Carlos.

As am I. Hollywood sucks at casting sopranos.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

SporkGoddess
#70Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 3:37pm

double post

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 2/26/13 at 03:37 PM

SFFrontRow
#71Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 4:01pm

I think (have to pull out my 1987 Tony Awards tape) that the Les Miz mashup was the exact same version used for the Tony Awards when Les Miz won. Except for Crowe, I thought they did a pretty good job on it.

CZJ was an embarassment (I don't think she even did the intro live). For someone who pretends to be a stage performer, this was bush to the Nth degree (doesn't EVERY performer who plays that role on stage HAVE to sing live). I remember her and Queen Latifah killing the Chicago number on the Oscars when it was nominated 10 years ago. Take a chance, sing it live and go for it.

I thought Jennifer Hudson lost some air on the long held notes, and that song is tired and somewhat intolerable (or maybe I have seen Dreamgirls too many times). Would have LOVED to have her sing I am Changing instead - or even Love You I Do.

And what was up with the balance on Skyfall? You could hear the orchestra but you could hardly hear Adele in some parts of the song.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#72Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 4:05pm

No, it wasn't. The Tonys did At the End of the Day and then One Day More.

I don't think anyone has ever intro'd One Day More with I Dreamed a Dream.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
Phyllis Rogers Stone
#74Why did the name of the thread change?
Posted: 2/26/13 at 5:56pm

How does she pretend to be a stage performer?