pixeltracker

Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#1Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 1:16am

I was walking to work today and noticed all of the billboards were down on the corner of 47th st. Such a strange sight, I had to snap a picture. Perhaps they are just putting up fresh billboards?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 1:21am

Whoa. That's really awesome! And strange.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 1:25am

wohaa

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 8:06am

The building is coming down. What you are seeing there are the remains of the old Panasonic sign that was there for much of the 70s and 80s.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 3/6/13 at 08:06 AM

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#4Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 8:57am

Wait, the WHOLE building is coming down?

TheatreFan27 Profile Photo
TheatreFan27
#5Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 10:39am

Wow! That's shocking. If the whole building is coming down, I wonder what will go up? Strange because those billboards have become so iconic to Broadway over the past two decades.

TheaterBoy7777
macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#7Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:33am

Great photo, Smaxie! I think I see myself! Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:42am

I hope it's a Duane Reade.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 11:56am

I wonder what goes in that building? Considering there are like no windows for anyone. Must be a very hum-drum place to work.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#10Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 12:14pm

Well it looks like there are windows behind the billboard. Maybe some light gets in??

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#11Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 12:26pm

That looks absurd... It looks... WRONG!

WOSQ
#12Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 1:15pm

There is lots behind that billboard--the remains of the last Times Square movie/vaudeville palace for starters. It was a theatre called variously the DeMille, Mayfair and Forum II, II, & IV probably among others. (The Forum I being across Broadway.)

It has/had a full stage house with fly space and probably sat 1500 give or take, when it was one theatre.

When it was a single screen (in the DeMille days) it was a roadshow film house, and that billboard was a single with the film playing sprawled all over it. Before that, in the Mayfair period, first-run films like Psycho played there again with the billboard going with the film.

The theatre got divided with the front of the orchestra becoming the Forum II and the mezz-balcony split into two long narrow cinemas, the II and IV.

The rear orchestra is part of one of those restaurants in the b&w photo, the Brew Burger. By now I think the front orchestra and stage house is a retail space fronting on W.47th St, and the entrance on 7th Avenue which was always narrow is also retail.

It was only in the 80s maybe that the billboard space was divided. The theatre was dark for a period back then.

The offices above I think are empty, but the space is narrow and there are windows that look out onto the theatre roof.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#13Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 3:47pm

At least as of a couple of years ago there was no permanent tenant in the office space on the top floor, as I once attended a party in that corner office space and was quite taken with the view of Times Sq from the unusually close angle.

And TheaterBoy, thanks for the pics and link to the Skyscraper Forum. I had seen this myself the other day and was floored by it, glad to have more information!

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

TheaterBoy7777
#14Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 3:59pm

Sure! Thank you to the amazing all-knowing Smaxie! I wouldn't have known to look for the article if he hadn't said it was coming down.

ucjrdude902
#15Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 4:27pm

So will the Broadway billboards go back up?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#16Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 4:42pm

...given everything said and shown in the thread prior to your question, it seems rather unlikely, wouldn't you agree?

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

ucjrdude902
#17Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 4:46pm

Well that sad, those billboards have become a staple.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#18Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 5:01pm

Never mind the billboards WHAT ABOUT TAD'S? It's gone forever.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 5:11pm

I'm sure it will be some boring glass building put up. Ugh. Modern architecture is so boring.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#20Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 5:16pm

If "modern architecture" is to include Frank Gehry and I.M. Pei and the lot... "boring" seems an unlikely epithet.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#21Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 5:35pm

How sad. That could've made a great Broadway museum...

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 5:47pm

I was in it many times. During the roadshows you could relax in the sumptuous lounge. Pity the old girl is going down. Another part of Times Square history gets pounded to dust in the name of progress.

Poster Emeritus

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 6:37pm

Where do the ghosts go when a theater is destroyed?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#24Broadway Billboards corner 47th/7th
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:17pm

Dollypops house.

Poster Emeritus

Videos