pixeltracker

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?- Page 4

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

Dollypop
#75How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:47am

""I think this thread demonstrates pretty well why many of the pros don't come anywhere near here."

I don't know how true this statement is. I've had quite a few "names" in the industry contact me to comment about articles I've written. In another instance, I commented that the actor I was writing about might be very good in a certain role. That actor called me shortly after the article went on-line to tell me a major producer had called him in to audition for that very role in a touring company.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#76How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:49am

Dollypop, I said they read the articles, absolutely.

That comment was about the message boards.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#77How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:51am

I totally agree with Best12bars! As a long time staff writer, and likely one of the few writers who posts here,(frequently and at times foolishly when things were hot,crazy and fun- posting not so much now), my ongoing experience with theater PR people and cast members is yes, they certaintly appreciate the exposure, the free press. Why wouldn't they?

Rob Diamond has built this "Field of Dreams" website from scratch and reaches a global audience consisting of everything relating to arts and media. Businesses are lining up to place ads here. Why? because of the number of hits and the exposure.

Sure, some Broadway people frequent the board, but for the most part they have little to no interest in joining in the chat boards which too often become silly battle grounds filled with irrevelant subject matter that quite frankly only entertains the board members. Still, volume is volume and that's what drive BWW's success.

Do the board posters opinions matter? Only to each other, imo. There is no qualifying rank of one poster over another. This is a chat board and a % of the members post incognito and often have several identities with which they post. To me it's always been a sounding board, a potpourri of people who rarely know each other aside from what they read here. I've only met about a dozen BWW posters "in person" in the past 13 yrs. That's fine with me. This is just another information highway for the public to read.

When I interview an industry person, when I cover a show, BWW is pretty much a common name. But when it comes to the msg. boards, they always chuckle. It's all about getting the name and the show out there.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Dave19
#78How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:58am

Is there some record/list of how many visitors this board has every day?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#79How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:11pm

Thanks, PB ENT.

The biggest change I've seen since I started posting here is that BWW is now a regular go-to source for news and information for the "world" of Broadway theatre (which extends far beyond New York City's theatre district). I see links to it, quotes from it, and I see it used as a source on many other sites from CNN to network affiliates.

Rob couldn't have built up such a global network without the revenue, and the ad revenue wouldn't have been attainable without the web traffic, and the BWW traffic wouldn't have been here without the message boards helping to boost numbers on a daily basis.

That's the biggest contribution of these message boards and the posters on BWW. We help fund the growth of the site by being regular members and by logging in and clicking on links. We are all "trackable data," which can be turned into income from advertisers.

As far as comments and opinions posted here ... how many people see a show at each and every performance? Hundreds, even thousands. How many bother to post publicly what they thought about that show ... two? Ten? Maybe fifteen?

There are many regular theatre-goers who don't publicize their opinions. They are just as passionate as people here about their love for certain shows, performers, and Broadway in general.

If you calculate the percentage of the opinions shared here, it's maybe 1 percent. Actually less, when you think about a weeks' worth of performances. It's only a fraction of a percent of the total audience. While the opinions may be loud, educated (or not), constructive (or not), it's barely even the tip of the iceberg for "fan consensus."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 12:11 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#80How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:14pm

Not that I know of...and it wouldn't really be accurate since many of us check in several times a day.

As to why bway professionals aren't a part of the boards: this isn't meant for them, it's about them and their shows. They have opportunities to constantly discuss different shows with the people around them in the biz.

I see more shows than anyone I personally know. There are only a few shows I'd be able to discuss with my other theater minded friends.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#81How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:25pm

I have had the chance to private message with a BWW member (who hasn't posted in a very long time) and is part of an off-Broadway show. Perhaps the sometimes poisonous atmosphere has put him off? I can understand how Broadway performers are reluctant to get involved in this message board. Things can get pretty heavy at times. Yet, at the same time, there is much to praise about Broadway (specific shows and artists). So, it's a mixed bag. We sure have some colorful and fascinating characters. I really like BWW. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#82How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:28pm

Rob has done a wonderful job with this site. To me it serves as a life link to Broadway for all of us that only get to the city infrequently. I used to be a active working member of the Broadway community back in the 80's. And I can tell you that those I still keep in touch with that still work in the New York theater scene.. read it all. But mostly for entertainment purposes. I have also connected with and become friends with other current broadway professionals right here on this board.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#83How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:29pm

This whole "poisonous atmosphere" makes me laugh every single time I hear it. This place is no different than conversations I have about theater with friends who are in actual Broadway shows, except this is public. We have the same conversations bitching and moaning and making fun of whatever that everyone else has. The fact that this is public is just a way for people to clutch their pearls and shake their fists saying that we're awful people.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#84How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:37pm

You are right Jordan. No different at all. By the way.. does anyone remember when all the speculation was going on about the casting of Ms Hannigan? Both the Times and the Reidel used this board as a source.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 12:37 PM

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#85How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:46pm

Alpha posters....interesting thought. It's like we're a great big online doggie daycare.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#86How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:58pm

Sure Broadway big guns read stuff on here, in fact they sometimes contribute too. After Eight is really Ben Brantley he uses BWW as a platform to write what he really thinks.

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#87How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:00pm

By "Broadway" do you mean the same Broadway that was a success for, what, well over 100 years before BWW came along? Maybe "important" is just a really bad word choice.

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#88How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:01pm

Meh. My philosophy has always been to say what the eff I want on here (and other message boards) if it makes me feel better or brings me joy regardless of what anyone says. I immensely enjoy talking theatre and how theatre art works. Certain shows I babble on and on about because I have a lot to say on them. One thing I don't do is try to entertain or engage in attention whoring, despite past accusations that that's all I am about. I'm no one's court jester, thankyouverymuch. Unfortunately, I really am THAT passionate about musical theatre. And if I ever display oddball or silly behavior, it's likely because it entertains me. It's all about me, y'all.

I appreciate those on here who--whether or not they intend to--entertain me, because it varies things up a bit and is a great time consumer on lazy Sunday afternoons!

I think this place tends to take itself too seriously sometimes, but it's really no big deal. Being serious about musical theatre is always welcome though.

Being dead serious about Les Miserables is a must, I tell you! A must!!! How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

As for our relevance?

All I can say is I am a lot more careful about what I say and who I say it about. Gone are the days when the idea that Cammack is shaking his fists at me via computer is a ridiculous idea. He's an exception, so I spill it regardless. Everyone else though, I am careful.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 01:01 PM

Dollypop
#89How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:28pm

I know for a fact that Nathan Lane used to post messages here (under a screen name, of course!) He revealed himself in a PM when he felt I'd posted something derogatory about him. He mentioned my screen name in a chat with Seth Rudesky and laughed out loud when I revealed myself to him in a face-to-face conversation.

I haven't seen his screen name pop up in a long, long time, though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#90How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:04pm

To be perfectly clear, this board exists for posters to speak to EACH OTHER, whether they're kids getting excited about shows for the first time, old-timers bemoaning the loss of the great shows of their youth, or professionals lurking or sniping or shilling or sharing.

This board does not exist to influence producers or directors or writers or performers. If it occasionally does, it is strictly by happenstance. But the board should not be "judged" by whether or not that happens.

The board is simply a place where people who are passionate about theater can discuss it--or argue about it--among like-mindedly passionate people.

And besides, any cab driver, relative or manicurist could have told them the red dress was a bumbling mistake.

FindingNamo
#91How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:25pm

I like to share and snipe. I like to sharpe, as it were.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#92How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:26pm

Well said, PalJoey!

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#93How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:34pm

"This whole "poisonous atmosphere" makes me laugh every single time I hear it. This place is no different than conversations I have about theater with friends who are in actual Broadway shows, except this is public. We have the same conversations bitching and moaning and making fun of whatever that everyone else has. The fact that this is public is just a way for people to clutch their pearls and shake their fists saying that we're awful people."

The fact that it's in print and in public is a big difference though. A catty comment you make to a friend when you're drunk at Vintage doesn't make as loud of a splash as a long, bitter screed on a popular website. The content is the same, I agree, but there are certain things that I think shouldn't be posted here because of the platform. Usually the board does fairly well at toeing the line but certainly sometimes things get a little fuzzy. If you're saying something negative here, you're saying it to be heard and noticed, which isn't the same as commenting negatively about a show to your friend or with your friends in midtown.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#94How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:38pm

Is there some record/list of how many visitors this board has every day? ~ Dave

Dave, you bet your bippy there's a hit count. BWW has scored more hits than the Mafia! I'm quite sure Admin. knows exactly how many hits are scored on each and every item they put out there.

As a regional writer we are givin a back office to submit articles, photos etc. like any other web driven business. I have access to see how many hits have accumulted on every article that we write. I've always found it interesting to see which articles earn the largest amounts of reads. But I can tell you that my interviews with Josh Young, Rob McClure, Norm Lewis and Frank Wildhorn did very well over the years.

BWW is a great theater community as well as a business. To have your show or your cast featured here is a BIG deal. It's more about that that than us.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#95How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:10pm

Rob has done a wonderful job with this site. To me it serves as a life link to Broadway for all of us that only get to the city infrequently.

I concur with this notion! I love all the way out in Arizona, so needless to say this site (especially the message boards) really help keep me in the loop. I don't get out to the city anywhere near as much as I would like to (I've only been twice!), but I definitely hope to live there someday How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#96How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:31pm

The "poisonous atmosphere" phrase always reminds me of the line in All About Eve where Bill says to Margo, "You've been talking to that venomous fishwife, Addison deWitt!"

You've been chatting in the poisonous atmosphere of that chat board, BroadwayWorld.com!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#97How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 4:13pm

What does "poisonous atmosphere" even mean? Isn't every negative comment (even ones expressed colorfully)"poisonous" to someone?
I can't imagine a place where people love everything and everyone in every show.
And it would certainly bore the sh!t out of me.

It's a silly thing to criticize a public forum for. Especially one where the majority of the active posters come to discuss and debate the good and bad of theater.

....but the world goes 'round

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#98How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 4:16pm

I just come here to warn others of BKLYN: The Musical.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#99How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 4:48pm

And there's a special place in heaven for you, for you doing that.