pixeltracker

What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?- Page 2

What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#25What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 6:42pm

LOL. That comment is actually "new signature file worthy" for me, Sally. Would you mind?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 6:50pm

I'll bet "One Night In Bangkok" is the last show tune to hit #1 on the Billboard pop chart, even if it was from the concept album.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#27What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:14pm

I suspect you're right, best.

Since 1970--by any fair measure and counting new musicals only--we have the following:

Send in the Clowns
What I Did for Love
And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going
Memory
One Night in Bangkok

I'm sure I've missed something, but most other show tunes that hit the charts did so as novelty numbers.

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 08:14 PM

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#28What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:28pm

Worth pointing out, even if it's not a song per se, that the Book of Mormon cast album reached the top three on the album chart… I believe a feat not done since Hair.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Gothampc
#29What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:57pm

Did the Pet Shop Boys version of "Losing My Mind" ever chart?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#30What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:01pm

Jackson 5 did "Corner of the Sky" I believe. Don't know how popular it was though.

#31What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:01pm

In the US it charted on the 12" singles and Dance singles charts. It was a much bigger hit in England.

#32What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:03pm

Oh and while he PSB sang backup and produced it, it was creditied to vocalist Liza Minnelli. The PSB version was a b-side to one of their singles and was actually the demo they had originally cut for her.

KC91WFU
#33What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:09pm

I remember hearing "Electricity" from Billy Elliot on the radio-the Elton John version, not the cast version. Not sure if it was a hit but our adult contemporary station played it a lot. Also, an EP of "With You" from Ghost was released in the UK. Not sure how it did on the charts.

Gothampc
#34What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:14pm

"Oh and while he PSB sang backup and produced it, it was creditied to vocalist Liza Minnelli."

Yes, but I liked their cut better than hers. Theirs seemed natural, hers seemed too hyper.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#35What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:16pm

"Tomorrow" from Annie was a huge radio hit

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#36What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:55pm

Written in the Stars from Aida performed by LeAnn Rhimes and Elton John peaked at #29 on the Hot 100 chart and #2 on the Adult Contemporary Charts

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#37What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:09am

In Australia "I know him so well" was the bigger of the two hits from chess.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#38What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:57am

If we are talking about top 40 type hits, I think it is One Night In Bangkock. I think Total Eclipse of the Heart from a little earlier became more universally popular.

bobs3
#39What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 2:14am

"Jackson 5 did "Corner of the Sky" I believe. Don't know how popular it was though."

It peaked at Number 13.

As far as I know, the last single from a Broadway original cast album to reach the Top 10 was Streisand's PEOPLE in 1964 (and even that is debatable, because I'm not sure if that single was cut from the OBC or from Streisand's PEOPLE album). She did win the Best Female Vocalist Grammy in 1965 for the song.

That same year, Louis Armstrong had a number 1 hit single for his cover of "Hello, Dolly" which also won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year.

In 1969, Dionne Warwick's cover of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" from PROMISES, PROMISES peaked at number 6. She won the Grammy for Best Female Vocalist for that song in 1970.

Updated On: 4/22/13 at 02:14 AM

Irishtheatre
#40What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 3:47am

I just wanna dance (club mix) from Jerry Springer the opera got a lot of radio plays here in the uk & is still a staple of most clubs :)

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#41What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:45am

How about Rise Above from Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark? Heard that a lot on the radio, and TV too.

Rainbowhigh23
#42What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 10:46am

I'm surprised no has mentioned the Top Ten radio success of songs from Hair, including Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In by the 5th Dimension, and the title song, as sung by the Cowsills.

Hair by the Cowsills

Johnnycantdecide Profile Photo
Johnnycantdecide
#43What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:09am

I believe that Superstar from the original Jesus Christ Superstar concept album charted in 1969/1970

Renart
#44What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:31am

El Debarge had a #30 US hit with "Starlight Express"

I remember having to listen to "All I Ask of You" ad nauseum on the radio station at work at the time.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#45What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:33am

I don't know how to love him also made the charts.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:39am

Speaking of "I Just Wanna (F*CKin') Dance," I love this video someone made of it with video clips from musicals behind tAlison Jiears's vocal:

http://youtu.be/Q32_G215bb0

Wilmingtom
#47What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:43pm

RainbowHigh, the thread asks about the *last* song. There have been several since "Hair."