pixeltracker

So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?

So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?

broadway guy
#1So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:57am

It's clear that this is the most favored musical of the season. Almost everyone on here is wetting their pants over this show. The circus aspect brought new life to this classic gem and I have good faith that it will go all the way to the top!

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:08am

I hope so!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:09am

I think it's a safe bet.

broadway guy
#3So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:14am

Im glad we agree.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#4So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:15am

I think I'll be pulling for DROOD, but PIPPIN will be an extremely worthy victor if it wins.

To me, it feels like a very good production of a very good musical vs. an excellent production of an average musical. Either way, I'm grateful to have seen and enjoyed them both and am glad the category has two very worthy potential winners.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:22am

Yes.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:26am

Yep, it won last night!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#7So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:28am

So  Pippin is winning Best Revival right?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:29am

It didn't really win last night, did it?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#9So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:31am

Yes.

....but the world goes 'round

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 4:53pm

WORST TONY BROADCAST EVER!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#11So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 5:11pm

Here is a radio interview with Charlotte D' Amboise. She talks about her career: Chicago, Charity, Pippin and more. from RC in Austin, Texas
Charlotte D' Amboise

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

OrdinaryJukebox
#12So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:37pm

Ugh ....

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#13So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 10:40pm

They screwed up the sound again last night!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Queen of the Night
#14So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:41pm

I just saw it tonight and IT DAMN WELL BETTER win the TONY!!!!! It was pure awesomeness top to bottom. No weak links in the cast. The circus conceit works so well. Patina is hot, strong and dominant. I didn't see Vereen in the role, but I think she must be a worthy successor. Terry and Charlotte were great (he's hilarious in this role). Andrea killed it! Loved her song and the rest of her little "act". Matthew James Thomas was amazing in the title role, so believable. Rachel Bay Jones was perfect as Catherine--heartfelt and funny. Just an out and out brilliant show. We saw Diane Paulus as we were leaving and I told her how much we loved it. Hope it does well at the Tonys and runs for a long time.

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#15So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/24/13 at 1:49am

i don;t see how anything could give sneak up on it. Nothing is "revived" in way anywhere close to this. I am a huge drood fan but i think i would be disapointed if it won because pippin completely reinvented a subpar musical and made it Extraordinary (pun intended).

Sure was a good year for revivals, though.

[believe]

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#16So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:21pm

I saw the original and for the first time in a long time, the revival is way better.
This is the best revival since Kiss Me Kate!
Vereen was great but so was Patina and because they are different sexes, they defy comparison. Everyone was better than the original with the exception of Charlotte D'amboise who was almost as good as Leland Palmer but not better.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#17So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:58pm

This has to be one of the best b-roll/show trailer whatever you want to call its I have seen in a while. Wow, was not interested at all but now I really want to go.
Pippin Show Clips

broadway guy
#18So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:08pm

Yeah this montage gave me chills. I have replayed it 20 times over the last couple of days

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#19So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:20pm

Who came up with that fabulous arrangement of Corner of the sky? damn good show.

[believe]

behindthescenes2
#20So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 5:20pm

after just seeing this clip on here about the show, I will pass. Does no one know how to really sing anymore? Is there really a loss of real singers now? Do they all to that faux singing style that was brought over by London oh so many years ago? Is the shrill no vibrato, hold the note flat until the final 3 beats and then bring in vibrato voice all that is left? When you hear Andrew W. sing in Annie, it was such a hopeful sign but this is filled with screeching singing. Same with Matilda, same with Cinderella, same with Hands on a Hard Body, and lest I forget, Nice Work... Heather H. was a hopeful beacon, don't know what she sings like now, but London is loving her. I would take a character voice over Lloyd-Webber-Wildhorn-Schwartz screeching thin auto-tuned-to-death singing - Even in Les Mis there were real voices coming through, Craig Schulman, etc. The show looks great, the dancing looks great, but the singing.....Bless them on Opening Night though, I hope it runs long

evic
#21So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 5:47pm

Just a question. Chet Walker says he was in the original cast. Playbill posted pages of the original Playbill and his name is not there. Was he a replacement and if so, who did he replace?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#22So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 5:58pm

According to IBDB, Chet Walker was a replacement in the original production of Pippin

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#23So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 5:59pm

Me in response to what behindthescenes2 said.

So  Pippin is winning Best Revival right?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24So Pippin is winning Best Revival right?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 6:03pm

Do they all to that faux singing style that was brought over by London oh so many years ago?

Brought when? By whom? What are you talking about?

Is the shrill no vibrato, hold the note flat until the final 3 beats and then bring in vibrato voice all that is left?

You mean like Barbra Streisand?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian