MATILDA performance on The View

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#1MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:59am

Coming up within the next hour, probably towards the end. Remember the show is live.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:53am

sorry, but that performance did nothing to make me want to see the show. Only word I could understand was "naughty".

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

behindthescenes2
#2MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:55am

ugh...hand-held microphones on the stage are a stupid device for an actor unless you are in a band or a performer within a play- boring otherwise and just a lazy affectation. could not understand one word expect "a little bit naughty".

Pammylicious
#3MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:58am

The sound at the studio they were in sucked. there were no hand held mics used in the theater. I guess they needed to improvise.

rswright
#4MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 12:05pm

I thought Bruce uses a hand held mic on stage, maybe I'm remembering is wrong.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#5MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 12:08pm

Bruce does indeed use a handheld mic in Revolting Children.

The audio/sound was horrible today, I agree.

Pammylicious
#6MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 12:09pm

He does, my bad and it does not take away from the performance at all. Hes terrific!

KathyNYC2
#7MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 12:25pm

Darn I missed it. Who from the show was on?

AntV
#8MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 1:01pm

Oona

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#9MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 1:43pm

I missed it too! Maybe it will be posted on YouTube later. Did they start off with Naughty and then segue into Revolting Children?

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#10MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 1:59pm

If you missed it, you can see it on hulu tomorrow morning.

RE: the handheld microphone, Bruce is meant to resemble a pop/rock star at the beginning of the number. The hand-held mic is a working prop. It's meant to give Bruce a "rock star" moment at the beginning of the song (he ditches it as soon as his solo is over and recovers it at the end for the same effect).

oh... and just so there's no confusion... That number is not meant to parody/copy/"homage"/blah, blah, blah... Spring Awakening.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 5:12pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqS-KjEu9LY

The accent issues are still there and the odd segue between songs notwithstanding, I thought it was a strong performance. The View also almost always has issues with filming musical performances, and that's certainly still evident in their filming of this performance. Updated On: 5/22/13 at 05:12 PM

Lizardbeth Profile Photo
Lizardbeth
#12MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 6:39pm

After watching those adorable British girls in videos for the past year, the US girls just don't come across as sweet or sincere. : (

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#13MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 7:28pm

I really don't like Oona's accent. For those of you who saw Oona, was this performance on par with what you saw? I saw Sophia, and her accent sounded much less forced to me.

billis2
#14MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 8:08pm

Wow, I thought people were joking about the unintelligibility, but that was really bad sound.

I'm a little surprised Warchus and Darling didn't try to reduce the similarity to Spring Awakening if they weren't going for that. Having Bruce pull a mic that looks just like the SA one from a place in his jacket that's the same place that the SA mics came from seems like an odd choice. There are other ways that part could have been staged to have avoided that comparison.

(Sorry, I wrote the wrong choreographer originally. )

Updated On: 5/23/13 at 08:08 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#15MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 8:22pm

I personally love the handheld mic. For anyone thats seen the show, maybe you can agree/disagree, but I believe it works fantastically in the way it is used in that moment during the show. It is very spur-of-the-moment, and the audience gets in a huge uproar when the see it. It is only used this once in the show, and not even throughout the entire song. I feel, and I may be wrong, that the mics in Spring Awakening represented more of a common theme throughout the show, and the mic here simply is just used in this one moment for added spunk.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 8:28pm

well SA didn't make much of a splash in London, right? So i doubt it was a rip off of any kind.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#17MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 8:56pm

Do they give you a libretto with your playbill so you know what the lyrics are?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Ed_Mottershead
#18MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:52pm

The whole f***ing show stinks.

BroadwayEd

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#19MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:02pm

I saw Oona and I thought she did a fantastic job. It took a while to adjust to the accents. Sitting in the very last row of the balcony, it was tough at first. It didn't feel as forced though as it comes across here.

::bust a move::

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#20MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:21pm

Are the kids lip-synching? They're not wearing mics, are they?

I think the sound was sub-par, but the show did a great job with the set design. It really captured the look and feel of the original. On Good Morning America, on the other hand, it looked like someone had hung up a blue shower curtain.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#21MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:28pm

The chorus of "Revolting Children" absolutely looked/sounded lip-synched.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#22MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:39pm

I thought that clip was BAD.

snarkmachine
#23MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/23/13 at 12:21am

Oona has the worst accent but I find her acting to be the best of the three girls I've seen

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#24MATILDA performance on The View
Posted: 5/23/13 at 1:02am

> "I'm a little surprised Warchus and Hoggett didn't try to reduce the similarity to Spring Awakening if they weren't going for that."

'Ya know what? You're absolutely right.
I did some googling and noticed that this Spring Awakening copycat trend is everywhere!

British school children are so taken by the costuming of SA that they've begun to style themselves after the show:

And designers of men's suit jackets were so taken by the possibilities for "storage" that they've actually begun adding pockets to the insides of suit jackets! (Can you believe it??!!) Turns out they can be used for all kinds of things besides microphones, too. Who knew?

And speaking of microphones...
The one-of-a-kind design of those wireless handhelds from SA were soooooo interesting that wireless mic manufacturers have started rampantly copying them. There are so many examples of these SA microphone copycats that I couldn't post all the pictures here, but you can just google "black wireless handheld microphones" (without the quotes) and then click on the "Images" link to see them.

Or better yet:
Let Me Google That For You Updated On: 5/23/13 at 01:02 AM

Videos