pixeltracker

Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?

Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#1Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 5:43pm

I read that Wonderland wasn't nominated for a single award ... why!? Was it because it lasted a month? Aren't Broadway shows still eligible to be nominated even if they're only open 5 weeks?
I think the music is terrific and the costumes are quite kick ass.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

broadway guy
#2Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 5:44pm

Cause it sucked?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 5:49pm

It was trash. Pure trash. This is coming from a Wildhorn fan too... I would have given it a nod for orchestrations, but that's it. The set, costumes, and lighting were absolutely horrendous beyond belief.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RENT_is_Wicked2
#3Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:00pm

I remember seeing the world premier and Tampa 2011 productions and they were wonderful. When the show transferred to Broadway it went down the drain. Some of the most enjoyable songs became trash, and the plot was twisted around to where it was so weird and the story was hard to enjoy. The orchestrations were good and some songs did improve but that's it. Besides, out of all the costumes I liked The Hatters Act 2 costume, and Janet looked better in a dress than she did in her costume for the Bway production.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:01pm

I still enjoy "I will prevail", even though I have no idea what it is about and sounds like a some ungodly cross between Queen and Evanescence.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jagfkb
#5Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:03pm

I will say though, after a recent rewatch on the site that must not be named, it's kind of a lot of ridiculous fun; you know, like in a "Rocky Horror" meets "Plan 9 from OuterSpace" type way. it's so bad, it ends up being ****ing hysterical lol

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:05pm

Janet Dacal looked like a modern day Dora the Explorer in ther Broadway costume.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RENT_is_Wicked2
#7Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:08pm

^^^ Yes!

Dollypop
#8Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:08pm

It was one of the worst shows I'd ever endured. It was right beside BROOKLYN and THOU SHALT NOT.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#9Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:10pm

That's a real shame.
The music is amazing, I really do love it.
It should be given another chance, maybe in London - it does have HUGE potential.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

RENT_is_Wicked2
#10Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:11pm

Well there's a production in Japan if that counts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:32pm

Mrs R and I enjoyed it.Wildhorn gave us totally different music than he normally did but he still got ripped.

Poster Emeritus

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:51pm

It was a pretty bad show but it wasn't the abomination some make it out to be so that they can appear cool and "on the Wildhorn hating bandwagon".

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:54pm

If there was a theatrical equivalent to the Razzies, it would've gotten a few nods.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#14Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 8:31pm

The sound design was excellent. I wasn't surprised Wonderland didn't get that nomination, but I genuinely thought it deserved the win in the category. The mix was crystal clear, balanced a lot of really fun sound effects for the various environments, and even tweaked the sound of the orchestra to match all the different genres in act one as the characters were introduced. If the whole show was a well-planned as the sound design, it would have been a hit.

Otherwise, the songs were good but didn't really do anything to advance the story. The book was strong in act one (I thought it was an adorable kids show and was excited to let my teacher friends know about a new field trip they could take) and a total mess in act two (woof). The actors did what they could to varying degrees of success (like, why cast Janet Dacal to star a musical with big dance numbers and then not have her dance? missed opportunities all over the place). The projection effects were great (the end of act one where they broke through the looking glass was great theater) but the physical sets looked cheap (cubes of bushes for various Wonderland locations and flats for rooms).

It just wasn't a very good show on Broadway.

Updated On: 6/16/13 at 08:31 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#15Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 8:47pm

The producers (rookies) got cold feet when a few reviewers reviewed the 2011 Tampa "production"/tech and decided to bring in an overhaul team (Scott Ellis & Rupert Holmes - who had been supposed working on another Wildhorn musical that has yet to happen yet).

The 2011 production was promising but would've been ripped to shreds regardless - it simply was not ready.

I am (obviously) partially biased, but how the show failed to receive a nomination for Best Choreography (it was nominated for an Astaire Award - the ONLY "award" nomination it received) or Best Orchestrations baffles me. All those different styles that came across - a shame.

Janet Dacal was the only role that could've received a nomination based on the Broadway production - and the way it was written no one could've liked that character. Yikes - all the reasons they hired her and crafted the character around being a quirky, "modern Lucille Ball" type went to sassy, self-loathing tendencies with divorced parents who get back together at the show's end. Just not realistic.

A shame - that should been Wildhorn's best received score, considering he tends to write in a "modern" style and that is his ONLY MODERN piece.

The score was excellent, I still listen to it frequently (despite on of the worst quality cast recordings ever). I will still attest to many songs getting mid-song applause, the songs really showcased the voices.

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#16Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 9:00pm

It was horrendous but I thought Shindle was great.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:12pm

It was a different take on Alice. Seeing the story done the same way is boring. Steve Allen did one on TV years back (a musical)

Poster Emeritus

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:21pm

It was the worst musical I have ever seen on Broadway. And I saw many losers. WONDERLAND still haunts me in my dreams.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:22pm

To each his own

Poster Emeritus

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#20Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:26pm

Perhaps maybe unambitious, but I'd hardly call it the worst musical ever.

Leap of Faith, Baby It's You, and several others from recent years were much worse...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:41pm

No, I saw both LEAP OF FAITH and BABY, IT'S YOU! and I'd rather see them both again over WONDERLAND. I'd rather see THE PIRATE QUEEN or SCANDALOUS. Or JEKYLL & HYDE or BONNIE & CLYDE. Or TARZAN.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

RENT_is_Wicked2
#22Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:53pm

The plot just set me off. Like the scene where the Hatter and Chloe meet, or the whole Underworld conversation towards the end of the show. I hated how they changed those scenes from the originals.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#23Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:54pm

What happened to Darren and Janet?

Liza's Headband
#24Why wasn't Wonderland nominated for anything!?
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:54pm

philly -- with all due respect, your posts regarding Wildhorn lack any sort of credibility. Opinions can't be wrong, but they can be manipulative and delusional and warped. Yours regarding Wildhorn are just that. You're a self professed fangirl.

Videos