pixeltracker

Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles- Page 4

Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#75Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 8:53pm

Woah... If Williams gets the role of Sally, I will jump and scream for joy. I for one think that this casting is perfect, Williams has that sort of essence that the Sally in the musical version (not the 1972 film version) should have.

Judi Dench from what I heard was a really good one, a really, REALLY good Sally.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#76Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 8:59pm

PHEW this thread got bad quick. Ignored lovebwy. I like the idea of Michelle! I'm so excited to see this production, it's such a great show.

RW3
#77Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 10:49pm

Let's just wait for the official announcement from Roundabout.

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#78Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 11:36pm

I've always been intrigued by the debate on the vocal ability of Sally Bowles. Should you get an actress who doesn't sing well or should you get an actress with a terrific voice? First and foremost you should have an actress who has great acting chops, of course. Should you get an actress who is a terrific singer and have her sing badly on purpose just because Bowles is not a true talent?

Yes, Sally is supposed to be a lousy singer, but I want to hear those terrific songs sung fantastically. I assumed as a kid that when Liza sang in the film version, we were hearing what she THOUGHT she sounded like. I want that incredible song belted out so I get chills, not sung weakly and slightly off key.

But then that's a debate that goes beyond just the musical Cabaret. I remember the first time I heard Send in the Clowns by Glynis Johns I was so disappointed. She didn't sound good, and it's such a beautiful song.

Sondheim has always been of the school of thought that the acting is more important than the singing. I get that you want a terrific performance but, especially with Sondheim, his songs are so interwoven and such a main part of the performance that I want them well sung.

And what about something like Sunset Blvd? Would the character of Norma Desmond really be a great singer? She's an aging has-been star of the SILENT screen. Or is it since her songs are performed as part of her real life and not in a stage performance that its alright to have a powerhouse like LuPone or Buckley sing them?

Does that mean the songs that Sally sings off stage should be sung well, and only the ones performed at the Kit Kat Club should be sung badly?

I've always been fascinated by this debate, singing/acting and reality/fantasy.

Updated On: 9/3/13 at 11:36 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 11:43pm

I remember the first time I heard Send in the Clowns by Glynis Johns I was so disappointed. She didn't sound good, and it's such a beautiful song.

You lost me there....

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#80Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/3/13 at 11:47pm

Since I lost you there, lijay, let me explain.

I wasn't used to theatrical singing at that point in my young life. I only heard the radio and non broadway albums so I thought everyone should have a "pretty" voice. I had only heard Judy Collins sing it.

Now, of course, I get it. I love her version, but she still isn't the greatest singer.

Hopefully, I've cleared that up and I would love to hear your thoughts on the debate in the main topic of my message, instead of just a dismissal because of my comment using Glynis as an example. I do value your opinion in all my time here on the boards, and would expect a little more.

Updated On: 9/3/13 at 11:47 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#81Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 12:11am

Sally's song are so great. I have mixed feeling about allowing a lesser singer to play her, but I suppose I'd have to see it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#82Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 12:20am

Williams has the possibility of being Brilliant in this role.
It's just sad that the ROUNDABOUT has to revive this (fabulous) revival to make money.
When they tried to revive the original (which was also fabulous) it failed big-time.

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#83Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 3:21am

Patrick Healy at The Times is reporting it's a done deal, to be announced shortly. His sources are two unnamed Roundabout executives who confirmed the casting but aren't authorized to make the announcement.

Michelle Williams to Make Broadway Debut in ‘Cabaret’ Updated On: 9/4/13 at 03:21 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#84Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 6:37am

You can have a great Cabaret and a great Sally with a Sally who's a great singer.
And you can have a great Cabaret and a great Sally with a Sally who's not.

next.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#85Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 8:43am

I always thought it worked either way.

If you have a Sally who's a mediocre singer but who can sell the songs, you can understand why she is where she is though she clearly dreams of more. That makes her story a bit more tragic.

Now, if you have a Sally who is a fantastic singer, it's also tragic in the sense that you have a great artist who is stuck in this dank underground club and can't seem to find further success. She's trapped.

I think in both situations, the portrayal can still grab an audience.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#86Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 9:35am

Back to the point of the thread - I think Michelle Williams is just about perfect casting. As for the British version of Williams (Mulligan), I actually thought of Cabaret when I saw her (I think in Shame) singing. Not talented, but seeking the limelight.

I would love to see Williams in this.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#87Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 10:00am

I agree with Wicked and YouWant that Carey Mulligan would make a fantastic Sally. Her New York, New York in Shame was amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdMXvFBOlmE

After seeing Jerick Hoffer aka Jinkx Monsoon, I think Jinkx would make a really cool Sally and would add an extra dimension to Cabaret. Richard Andriessen (Major Scales) would make an excellent Emcee.

Updated On: 9/4/13 at 10:00 AM

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#88Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 10:20am

SDS - that is the exact clip I was referring to.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#89Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 5:54pm

Official Announcement

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#90Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 5:55pm

24 weeks only. March 21 - August 31, 2014

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#91Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 6:13pm

As far as the "great singer" Sally ... Liza Minnelli explained it best on the recent Blu-ray release.

She said the character was tailored for her (of course), but that they decided Sally could sing really well and didn't care.

She was so wrapped up in everything else in her life that she really didn't care about her voice or her gift. It meant nothing to her.

So says Liza.

So that's the way they approached it in the movie.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

AEA AGMA SM
#92Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 6:41pm

"24 weeks only. March 21 - August 31, 2014"

I can only imagine that if it's selling well they'll be approaching other stars to come in after Williams and Cumming. Shall we start the speculations on those now or give it a few weeks before we get into that (I'm sure there will be many, many such threads appearing over the next year on that topic).

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#93Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:04pm

Booking a flight right now

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

michellek45
#94Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:21pm

I don't know anything about Michelle Williams, but I definitely agree that Carey Mulligan would be a great Sally. I'm sort of disappointed that Alan Cumming is the Emcee again- I'm sure he'll be brilliant, but I would have liked to see a new take.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#95Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:31pm

First Joey now Jen. Can Pacey be next on Broadway?

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#96Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:37pm

Very exciting! Michelle Williams was the best part of "My Week with Marilyn," so I am sure she will be brilliant in this. Granted, there's a bit of a stretch in comparing Marilyn Monroe and Sally Bowles, but you get the point.

And if they can get other stars to come in after her, why not? As long as it doesn't turn into another Chicago revival, or something.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#97Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:48pm

Michelle Williams is so exciting. Makes me sad that Cumming is reprising. He's done his creepy cupie doll goth schtick so many times now its really tired.

Somewhere Jen Cody is pissed.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#98Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:54pm

I agree, it would have been nice to get a new Emcee.

I think Jude Law would have been great.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#99Michelle Williams in talks to play Sally Bowles
Posted: 9/4/13 at 7:57pm

^^ Now THAT would be fun to watch!