pixeltracker

What is so bad about bootlegs?- Page 11

What is so bad about bootlegs?

KathyNYC2
#250What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/17/14 at 9:31pm

I don't usually look for bootleg versions of shows...but I did download a Matilda. After I saw the show, I could barely understand what was being said from my balcony seat..and I was not really a fan. I felt like I missed a lot of the show....the bootleg helped.

After watching the bootleg a number of times and purchasing the CD, I have since gone back to the theater to see the show a number of times...as once I understood what was going on and being said, I enjoyed it a lot more. I don't think anyone should have to watch a bootleg to enjoy a show but that's what happened in my case.

Seeing a bootleg would never take the place of seeing a show live ...but of course not everyone has the option.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#251What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/17/14 at 9:39pm

Well said.

Poster Emeritus

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#252What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/17/14 at 10:17pm

The boot of the current Cabaret has Leeds Hill on for Alan.

Darreyl with an L!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#253What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/17/14 at 10:41pm

I'm always confused by what they choose to delete and what they chose to keep. Some people have many things posted that should have been instantly deleted - anyone remember the Women On The Verge thread? (I wasn't here for it, but God was it an interesting read).

Edit: Typing on my iPhone and misspelled "Women" as "Womin".

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 7/17/14 at 10:41 PM

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#254What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/17/14 at 11:12pm

I just wish they could find a way to sell legal versions after shows close (like an OBC recording). I am sure someone could work out some deal with the bunions to product/sell the Lincoln Center still camera versions

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#255What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 1:20am

I am sure someone could work out some deal with the bunions to product/sell the Lincoln Center still camera versions

Yeah, I'm sure that it is not stupidly expensive and doesn't involve legalities not associated with producing a cast recording. I'm shocked all producers never thought about it before.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#256What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 1:32am

It's the cost . . . it just cost so much - the show needs to be re-teched (lighting for sure, often for sound) - and then every actor needs to be paid a SAG/AFTRA contract rate -designers get a bump.

For a new broadway musical, they wouldn't want to sell the DVD until the road tours are done - and by then, how much interest is there?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#257What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 1:43am

The bootlegs[where did that word come from?] I have seen have all made me sea sick they were so badly filmed. As I wouldn't have a hope in hell of ever seeing these shows I endured enough of them to get an idea of the show-BUT-if BOM ,Kinky Boots ,Matilda ever come to Australia I know I will definitely be buying a ticket because of those bootlegs.
PS thrash me if you will but I never return from Bali with less than 200 pirated movies for my 95yo Mum. She always reads the reviews and tells me what she would like to see as she could never get to a cinema-she's the most popular resident in her retirement village because of.......

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#258What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:49am

I simply can't watch the video bootlegs, but there are some lovely audio recordings out there dating all the way back to thee 50s of notable unrecorded flops and legendary performances. Say what you will about them, there are true treasures out there.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#259What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:54am

I was super excited when I found audio of Rachel Lily Rosenbloom and Marilyn. There is a video of Marilyn but I REFUSE to watch it because it's so grainy and terrible.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#260What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 6:05am

I've got a question - sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the 20 pages of responses - but, how were bootlegs recorded in the 70s and 80s? Today, people can record from their phones or from tiny micro cameras. But what kind of technology were people using to record bootlegs in the pre smartphone days? I mean, I'm guessing this wasn't happening:

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#261What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 9:27am

Oh, it was.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#262What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 9:42am

It most certainly was. But the cameras were bigger than that.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#263What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:14am

You guyyyysssss.

Jordan Catalano
#264What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:16am

That wasn't a joke. Google home video cameras in 1979 which is when those first videos popped up, and see what they looked like.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#265What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:19am

The word 'bootleg' comes from when pirates would put alcohol in their fake legs, and would be known as bootleg alcohol. Over time, it just became a term for something that was illegal and done discreetly.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#266What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:28am

That's nuts. Were ushers just oblivious to people lugging in and operating massive camera equipment? Anyway, I'm grateful for those bootlegging pioneers.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#267What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:39am

@ SweetLips - You must not have seen any recent bootlegs of the 2000s then.

Darreyl with an L!

Claudia Draper
#268What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:06am

I know GOOGLE GLASS make great/ high quality recordings of a show. HEDWIG for instance. There is no band on wearing them at a show and recording the whole thing

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#269What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:11am

Google Glass doesn't have the battery power yet that would enable you to record an entire show.

Jordan Catalano
#270What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:12am

And no zoom.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#271What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:15am

They should voie enable the zoom, so that you have to keep saying "Zoom In" "Zoom in some more," etc., so the whole bootleg has director's instructions included. What is so bad about bootlegs?

FutureGM
#272What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:29am

To answer the question: everything and all things. That is what is so bad about bootlegs. First, contrary to popular belief, most actors can see you and feel it's highly insulting that you can't pay attention to what's happening on stage and would rather spend your time recording a grainy, second rate version of their show.

Second, it is one thing to post them on YouTube, but to seek funds for these recordings is just heinous. Everything that occurs on that stage is copyrighted and, unless you are giving royalties to the cast, musicians, and creative teams, it is highly illegal and despicable to seek money for work that is not yours.

Personally, I find it very disrespectful to everyone involved in the production that you can't give them your undivided attention. Let me ask this: would you steal a CD or movie from Best Buy? No? Then why do this?

I empathize with those that may not be able to afford to see an Off-Broadway or Broadway show (truly; I have missed a lot of great shows simply because I couldn't afford it and I work in this business), but sometimes you just have to deal and get over it. I am sure you will find a great number of actors and musicians who would very much agree.

Jordan Catalano
#272What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:42am

But then you have people like Stephen Sondheim who see them as extremely important and makes sure all of his shows are bootlegged. So is Stephen Sondheim wrong?

Or actors such as, Kelli O'Hara, Liza Minnelli, Patti LuPone (in private, of course) and COUNTLESS others who see them as being wonderful things. Are they wrong, too?

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#273What is so bad about bootlegs?
Posted: 7/18/14 at 11:48am

@ FutureGM - I get messages ALL the time from Broadway actors wanting copies of their shows- So they don't all feel the way you are saying.
Also, you are inaccurate in calling bootlegs " grainy, second rate version of their show"- You clearly are out of date. Bootlegs are now being shot in HD and are mainly damn near perfect these days. Get your Facts right.

Darreyl with an L!