LOOKING

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 11:00am

"I found it boring and dull"

I found it boring and EXCITING.

Anyway, count me in on the on board club. Well-acted, rich in detail and humor. Totally into it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 1/20/14 at 11:00 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 12:12pm

Coming from a straight girl (me):

I really liked it, I thought the characters were interesting and genuine. I'm not sure what the previous poster wanted to "happen", it's a show about relationships.

I'll keep watching.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 1/20/14 at 12:12 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#52LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 12:37pm

I found nearly every moment relatable. That decision to get the second glass of wine on the date when he doesn't and all that happens afterwards is so emblazoned on my mind that I had flashbacks. The silent negotiation of the threesome felt wonderfully real. Even the handjob in the park was mined for it's comic potential. I loved that fact that every person Groff's character had contact with (man in park, date, ex and MUNI pick-up) was so different from each other. It kind of subtly underscored the point that he was, indeed, 'looking.' He's trying on different types to see what fits.

It's a quiet show. But I don't agree that it was boring.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#53LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 1:00pm

I liked how low-key it was which for a pilot is very shocking when the mode for pilots always seems to be throw everything into a can. Really like Lauren Weedman and Murray Bennett's rapport with each other. I don't think anybody is really bad although because Groff is the most recognizable to me he still feels the loudest in terms of being a performer but I really liked him too.

I'm with Namo, quite a lot happened but just was not turned up to 11 in maximum drama. Like you could have made a bottle episode of the whole double bachelor party because it's AWKWARD. But the awkwardness and shade is all relayed in a person to person conversation of the ex that does not born out into a confrontation but a distant observation later. I actually find that refreshing.

Thought I recognized Matthew Wilkas. His film Gayby is on Netflix Instant. Very funny, clever, little indie film.

Updated On: 1/20/14 at 01:00 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#54LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 1:31pm

" I agree that it was dull as dishwater. Honestly couldn't relate to a single thing happening in the show. I actually wish people on dates were as honest as that doctor. "

Wow, I could relate to nearly every scene. I dunno what that says about me, but...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 2:54pm

Found totally relatable, too. And I liked how naturalistic the (actually many) events that the characters experienced were depicted. They're, in the grand scheme of life, little events- a bad date, a relationship moving a new way, reaching out to an ex. They don't need to be played for high drama. They just need to matter to the characters. And they clearly do.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#56LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:18pm

I also found this extremely relatable.

Recently I decided to watch "Weekend" as it was directed by the EP of "Looking". I thought it was a fantastic, honest film. I'm glad to see "Looking" also takes an honest, no frills look at modern gay culture.

It can get a little ugly - not everyone can be Mitch & Cam on "Modern Family".

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#57LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:50pm

Are hairy chests back in? I didn't get the memo.

I liked it though.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#58LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 4:04pm

Hair is in (thank God.)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#59LOOKING
Posted: 1/20/14 at 6:51pm

Cats--you've seen that memo over and over again for the past few years, and you just keep tearing it up and throwing it away.

On dot429.com, four smart writers discuss the show:

Looking at “Looking”: four gay writers discuss HBO’s new show

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#60LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:29am

I thought it was quite realistic. I'd watch it again.

Then I kept watching HBO and saw John Cameron Mitchell in a cameo on GIrls!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

BornThisWay Profile Photo
BornThisWay
#61LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 1:17am

I adored this pilot! One thing I really appreciate about this show is how it primarily depicts a group of men going about their lives, that just so happen to be gay. These characters have many other layers to their personality besides their homosexuality, which is rare to find in most gay-centric shows.

I also found it incredibly relatable, like most of you already stated. At times a little too close for comfort actually.

I also enjoy how its not dialogue heavy and whats not stated by the characters is oftentimes just as important as what is stated.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#62LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 3:25am

I definitely found it realistic and relatable, but I thought the characters were such types, particularly Jonathan Groff. Not types as in bad gay stereotypes, but types as in characters that are a bit tired. Groff's character wouldn't bother me as a supporting role or one part of a larger ensemble, having him as the lead makes him the gay version of Carrie Bradshaw or Ally McBeal or Bridget Jones or...I don't know, your typical white middle-class protagonist who's quirky, and adorable, and sexy, and ohh they go on awkward dates and all they wanna do is find love but they have such a hard time at it. I also thought it took itself a little too seriously in that hipster kinda way.
Having said all that, there is a sense of realism to some of the proceedings that I enjoyed and the supporting cast does a great job with the naturalistic acting. I think it has a lot of places it could go and hopefully it'll develop nicely.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#63LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 6:29am

...your typical white middle-class protagonist who's quirky, and adorable, and sexy, and ohh they go on awkward dates and all they wanna do is find love but they have such a hard time at it.

Yeah, I got that just from looking at the ads...

:: HURL ::

Stayed far, faaaar away from this one.

Updated On: 1/21/14 at 06:29 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#64LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 8:18am

Think again about staying away, Carlos.

What other show on TV has three gay Latino characters dealing with life and love?

Updated On: 1/21/14 at 08:18 AM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#65LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 9:10am

I felt the same as Carlos before I watched it but decided to give it a shot. I should have stuck with my gut and stayed away.

Roscoe
#66LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 9:15am

The show can't help but feel rather familiar, especially at this early stage, as they start setting up Endearing Character Traits for each of them. We're all way too experienced consumers of TV series not to catch the signifiers (Handsome But Socially Inept, Aging Hunk, etc.). I thought they did a really good job of breathing life into the potentially cliched people and situations, without ever once devolving into easy SEX AND THE CITY/QUEER AS FOLK USA cartoonishness.

We'll see where it goes, but Haigh's involvement is most encouraging.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

CarlosAlberto
#67LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:17am

I thought they did a really good job of breathing life into the potentially cliched people and situations, without ever once devolving into easy SEX AND THE CITY/QUEER AS FOLK USA cartoonishness.

I like the sound of that. I'll give the pilot a shot and take it from there.

CarlosAlberto
#68LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:24am

@ larrystyles: I would like to clarify your confusion. All Latinos regardless of the shade of their skin are people of color.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#69LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:25am

I thought the pilot- considering all the exposition, by its very nature, it had to dole out- did a really good job of laying the seeds of the reason why Groff's character is unable to land a man. He's handsome and socially inept, but he's also clearly got some other emotional issues going on- longest relationship only being 6 months, mom issues, his own bungling of the date, etc.

Unlike Sex and the City, we're not getting a skewed perspective of the characters. If Carrie Bradshaw were to go on the bad date in the pilot, we'd get a voice-over and then a brunch scene where the fault is pinned on the doctor.

In Looking, Groff's character is equally to blame for the awkwardness of the date. And the show makes it clear.

CarlosAlberto
#70LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:29am

Just a heads up. Episode #2 is entitled: "Looking for Uncut".

No pun intended. "Heads". "Uncut".

I'm on a roll today...with butter.

Ba-dum-dum!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#71LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:41am

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#72LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:03pm

I really enjoyed the pilot, and I was living for that Dolly Parton tattoo.

Any backlash that I have seen on Facebook has come from people that admit they haven't actually watched the show.

CarlosAlberto
#73LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:18pm

I'm in love with O.T. Fagbenle.

I called dibs on him.

He is mine.

B!tches back off.

That is all and have a nice day! LOOKING

Updated On: 1/21/14 at 12:18 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#74LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:34pm

Um...you can call dibs after you watch the pilot.

AFTER YOU WATCH THE PILOT.

LOOKING