pixeltracker

HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?- Page 2

HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#25HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/13/14 at 2:31pm

I'd imagine they'd likely cut the nudity for the bowl (40,000 people with night vision cameras isn't fun for famous folk)
I'd love to see Kristen Bell as Crissy, and I'd imagine with the Hunger games role coming up Patina Miller might be able to play Dionne

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/13/14 at 6:29pm

Well, as per the Bowl's season page:

PLEASE NOTE: Includes simulated drug use, brief nudity, profanity, questioning of religion, blatant sexual positioning, refusal of authority, energy, love, beads, flowers and happiness... so enjoy!

The brief nudity I take to refer to the nude scene, which takes up all of 30 seconds.

Hair | Hollywood Bowl

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#27HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/13/14 at 8:32pm

Yes, I was shocked when I finally saw the tour last year how little nudity there is. Obviously, it was shocking in the day but sadly I feel like its not really anymore. I've been in shows with much more nudity than that. I'm interested in if the "celebrity cast" will participate in the nudity (don't really care but it seems that might be a deal breaker for some tv folks).

In any case, really looking forward to seeing this.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

drama dept
#28HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/27/14 at 3:04pm

I didn't see this mentioned here-- Adam Shankman is directing.
Updated On: 5/27/14 at 03:04 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#29HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/27/14 at 9:27pm

This could be the exception to the rule on Musicals at The Bowl. It's just way way too massive of a venue to feel the intimacy of Theater. Even in a Garden Box for Rent, I could barely see the folks on stage.

I do recall quite enjoying MAME there a few years back but that was solely because I had never "seen" a production and by seen I mean I was watching the giant monitors to actually see what was going on.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#30HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 5/27/14 at 10:43pm

Yes, even with the box seats, I still pretty much always watch the screens.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#31HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 1:57pm

Kristen Bell is Sheila, Hunter Parrish is Claude, Ben Walker is Berger, Amber Riley is Dionne, Beth Behrs is Jeanie, Jenna Ushkowitz is Crissy, Mario is Hud, and Beverly D'Angelo is Mom.

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/02/kristen-bell-hunter-parrish-lead-hair-cast-at-hollywood-bowl/?fb_action_ids=10202205354120083&fb_action_types=og.likes

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/2/14 at 01:57 PM

RW3
#32HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:19pm

Personally, I totally agree with Amber Riley as Dionne.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#33HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:19pm

I had previously heard rumors of Evan Peters as Claude, but I guess not.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#34HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:20pm

Other than Amber Riley, I find this casting boring.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#35HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:21pm

I love the casting for this. Oh how I wish I could be there. I do like Hunter Parrish. He will be very good. Ben Walker as Berger is great, too-and I love Kristen Bell as Sheila and Jenna Ushkowitz as Crissy.

Visceral_Fella
#36HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:29pm

I would have never thought of Kristen Bell as Sheila maybe this will give her an opportunity to show off a different part of her voice. I think of her as a soft soprano.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#37HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:34pm

Surprised by Kristen's casting, but happy about Hunter, he will be fantastic.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#38HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:37pm

I will be in town, but I think I will skip this. Money is tight and this cast doesn't really peak my interest much. I do really like D'Angelo but still- I don't know. I really haven't cared for what I have seen Hunter do- his range is very small.

Darreyl with an L!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#39HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:53pm

Excited to see Kristen Bell on stage again. It's not an overly exciting cast, but it could have been much worse.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#40HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 2:56pm

Big Fat Yawn.

willep
#41HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 3:03pm

Where are you guys seeing Jenna as Crissy? All the articles say she is playing Jeanie. And I don't see anything about Ben Walker either...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#42HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 3:18pm

willep, the article is below. I think the initial speculation that Ushkowitz was playing Crissy was just a stab in the dark. There's no way Behrs (who reads way older than her) is playing the younger role.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/02/hair-kristen-bell-amber-riley-hunter-parrish/.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/2/14 at 03:18 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#43HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 3:29pm

Almost everyone on this site has something against celebrities performing in the performing arts, whether or not they are big or not. The casting is wonderful and they will be wonderful. Excited about Amber Riley, Hunter Parrish, & Kristen Bell (IN THAT ORDER). I need to buy my tickets asap.

Wildcard
#44HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 3:30pm

Not too excited by this cast. I would have rather seen the JCS Arena tour than this.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#45HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/2/14 at 4:12pm

I for one love Celebrities in Musical Theatre- as long as they are good in it. It gives me a chance to see a Celeb and a good musical in one go.

Darreyl with an L!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#46HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/26/14 at 9:24pm

Sarah Hyland has been announced as Crissy and Ben Walker confirmed as Berger. I like Ben and find his casting to be interesting and I think there were many people WORSE then Sarah Hyland who wanted the job. I'd love for her to show us what she's capable of. I truly don't remember much about her in Grey Gardens, so I'm curious about adult singing actress Sarah.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#47HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/26/14 at 10:06pm

"Almost everyone on this site has something against celebrities performing in the performing arts, whether or not they are big or not. The casting is wonderful and they will be wonderful."

Your case was stronger before you said they would be wonderful in advance. Advance positivity is just the flip side of the equation. Why not just "I can't wait to see them in this show"?

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#48HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/26/14 at 10:40pm

I'm not sure "Hair" has aged well. The nudity wouldn't be a big deal at the H'wood bowl, but in the small theater where I just saw it, the nude scene ran about 30 seconds. It was far more than a brief flash. Also, they added another nude scene at the end.

A bigger problem, in my view, than the nudity is the way the flag is treated. In 1968, it made sense, but post 9/11, it's offensive. The production I'm thinking of had Claude lying naked and dead on a US flag at the end. I just about went ballistic. The First Amendment gives the right to do things like that, and taste gives the right for the audience to be offended.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?
Posted: 6/26/14 at 10:42pm

"The First Amendment gives the right to do things like that, and taste gives the right for the audience to be offended."

So, it works out for everybody! HAIR - Hollywood Bowl Aug 2014 - Casting Ideas?