pixeltracker

The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall

The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#1The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 1:44pm

Sting's new musical, The Last Ship, will start previews September 30th, with opening October 30. Will star Michael Esper and Rachel Tucker

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/stings-musical-finds-broadway-home-22482059

Updated On: 2/12/14 at 01:44 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:10pm

I remember Louise Pitre was in some of the final workshops last fall that Riedel reported on. I guess she isn’t doing the full production The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:21pm

I find the casting odd in one sense. I was able to attend one of Sting's concerts where he performed the music and he said something about wanting to bring newcomers (particularly from Britain) over. I wonder what happened to that idea. (Equity most likely wouldn't approve it-I guess I'm a little disappointed in that because I was looking forward to some new faces and voices-also, I guess I thought authenticity would be nice. As long as they don't sound like the cast of Matilda.)

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#3The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:22pm

Rachel Tucker is from Britain. She was in Wicked on the West End.

neonlightsxo
#4The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:22pm

Esper is going to be great. He's always great.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:25pm

Rachel Tucker and Jimmy Nail were participants in the concerts and Jimmy Nail was confirmed by Sting as a member of the cast. (I really think it's going to be strange to have two people who are British in a cast of Americans trying to sound heavily British-this is northern England-the accent is really marked.)

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#6The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:32pm

Sorry to be that guy but Rachel is Irish.

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#7The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:35pm

That doesn't seem to have been an issue for Kinky Boots..

For the record Rachel Tucker is from Belfast so a northern English accent isn't natural for her either, though her Elphaba showed no trace of her Northern Irish roots and was in all respects
pretty impressive.
Updated On: 2/12/14 at 02:35 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#8The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:36pm

Sally Ann Triplett is British. She was in the original Broadway cast of Carrie, so this will be her return to the Great White Way after a career in the West End.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#9The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 2:38pm

Absolutely stoked. Rachel Tucker is really really wonderful, very excited to be able to see her here in the States.

"...and in a bed."

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#10The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 8:50pm

I'm surprised they are allowed to bring so many people over. Not only Equity but also US Immigration (ICE). I wouldn't have thought that they would all qualify under the 0-1 visa "extraordinary ability" requirement - at least to ICE. Though they are good...

Re: the accents. The Matilda accents are authentic and, to my British ears, exceptionally good and, yes, clear BUT there was/is a big issue with sound plus the lyrics are very dense, complex and fast. KB, on the other hand, is a big hot mess accent-wise and have the worst accents in a show I've heard in years. And I did see the Menier "Merrily..." HOWEVER, the majority of the audience love the show. So, go figure... They are bringing over Jimmy Nail who has the North Eastern English (Geordie) accent so that will be a big help!

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#11The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/12/14 at 10:13pm

Wow, that is an amazing creative team. Wishing it luck!

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#12The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/13/14 at 3:37am

I'm bummed about Louise Pitre as well. The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall I so wanted her back in NYC.

BUT - Rachel Tucker!! She's fantastic. She was discovered in "I'd Do Anything" and I've loved her ever since.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#13The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/13/14 at 8:02pm

Has anyone listened to the concept album? I tried, but couldn't get through it. Maybe the songs work in the context of the show. I hope so.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/13/14 at 9:09pm

Matt, I am a huge Sting fan and bought the cd with the bonus 2nd cd. I am not crazy about the music as performed by him aalone. He also seems to be trying to sing it "in character" or something. I just keep thinking maybe it will be better when orchestrated for the show. I have only listened to it through about 3 times.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/13/14 at 09:09 PM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#15The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/13/14 at 9:35pm

It's Sting so I'm sure there's lots of humor.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#17The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/14/14 at 2:34pm

The Last Ship starts previews Sept 30th and All the Way is set to close June 29th.I wish they could fit a renovation or a quick touch up of the Simon in the 3 month break. They did the Rodgers in less than 4.5 months, The Simon would look amazing with a fresh coat of paint to bring out the detail in the theatre.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#18The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/14/14 at 4:38pm

^
Agreed.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#19The Last Ship Coming to the Neil Simon in the Fall
Posted: 2/15/14 at 12:01am

My wife is a huge Sting fan so will probably go see it.