54 Below after a show

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#154 Below after a show
Posted: 2/17/14 at 9:57pm

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has gone to an 11 pm show at 54 Below after seeing a Broadway show the same night? I just kind of need to know if it's possible to make it there, since the last reservation time is for 10:30 pm. Will they give away your seat if you don't get there until 10:45-ish??

Thanks for any info!

CoreyRyan3
#254 Below after a show
Posted: 2/17/14 at 10:06pm

I've pulled it off.

If you could, I always made sure to schedule a shorter show (like a straight play) to see Saturday night so that I could make it to 54 Below with time to spare.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#254 Below after a show
Posted: 2/18/14 at 2:57am

I actually did this over the weekend, and it's totally doable. My friend and I were seeing Tiffany Haas and Michael McCorry Rose perform at 54 Below, and my friend ended up winning lotto at Wicked that night. Luckily, both of the performers in question were in Wicked, so it made it easy to get over there knowing they had to get changed/head over themselves. I'm not sure if this helped, but I know my friend and I were battling back and forth with a similar thought process to yours and it worked out.

Edit: We got there around 10:40-45ish, and our table was not given away or anything.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 2/18/14 at 02:57 AM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#354 Below after a show
Posted: 2/18/14 at 9:57am

I did this a while ago, my boyfriend and I saw Avenue Q at NWS, then head to 54 Below to see Jason Robert a Brown w/ Shoshana Bean. We got there with little time to spare, and they had not oven away our reservation or anything like that.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#454 Below after a show
Posted: 2/18/14 at 10:23am

Let them know what show you're going to when you make the reservation. They're all about that kind of thing.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#554 Below after a show
Posted: 2/18/14 at 11:02am

Thanks all; I appreciate the info! I will definitely let them know what show I am attending to give a heads up.

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#654 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 6:44am

It's probably worth a different thread, but the Tiffany Haas and Michael McCorry Rose show mentioned above was absolutely great. The musical arrangements were clever and both of them have great presence. Michael was great both as a leading man, but also as a character man. He has precise comic timing, very expressive and slightly dangerous eyes, and confidence. And a fantastic vocal instrument to go with it all. This was my first time to see him and I was kind of blown away.

For a performer, 54 Below is a great performance space because you're so close to the people in the audience. But that's what makes it scary. You can't hide behind anything.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#754 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 9:20am

Another 54 Below question - I generally attend the theatre alone - is there seating at 54 Below at the bar, or somewhere else suitable for a single?

Liza's Headband
#854 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 9:37am

There is seating at the bar, but it's not the best place to sit at for seeing and hearing. Also, I have been there at least a dozen times and every time it seems like all of the couples and/or parties who are looking to socialize *during* the show or concert sit over at the bar. They're far enough away where you cannot hear them but just a warning if you're considering the bar. There are also a couple of tables (for two persons) on a raised level overlooking the rest of the main seating, but it's next to the bathrooms and bar.

I have never gone alone but I see people do it all the time. They typically look for an open seat at a four top and then politely approach the group... I've never seen it as a major issue. Worst case scenario, you could squeeze into a corner on the side booth seating (on the fall facing out from the stage into the audience). No one usually sits there because it's an awkward angle.

Rainbowhigh23
#954 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:39am

I've done bar seating at 54 Below and do not recommend it. You pay for a seat but they literally squeeze as many seats as is humanly possible in that little area; you have to adhere to the the $25 minimum as well, so if you order food you'll be eating with another patron literally on your arm due to the proximity of their seat to yours - inches away! Liza's description of bar seating is exactly what I've experienced; it's not worth $60, IMHO. There are often cancellations for table seating on the day of so it can be with it to wait and pay a little more.

The only good thing about the bar area is when the artist greets fans there. Never realized how truly gorgeous Emily Skinner was until she was under the lights near the bar.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 10:39 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#1054 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:00am

theatregeek6, I've been to 54 Below alone before and they sat me at one of the long tables in the middle with other "singles."

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#1154 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:53am

Thanks!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#1254 Below after a show
Posted: 2/19/14 at 12:22pm

Yes, I went alone once and was put at one of the long table. There was a party of 3 at the end next to me and a few singles there as well. Not an awkward situation, at least in my experience.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

WickedlyCarrie Profile Photo
WickedlyCarrie
#1354 Below after a show
Posted: 2/23/14 at 9:24am

[I wasn't quite sure where to ask this question, but it seems appropriate here.] I'm going to this venue for the first time in March, I was wondering if the performers have a meet and greet/mingle with the crowd after the show?

"I see you shine and the dark disappears."

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#1454 Below after a show
Posted: 2/23/14 at 11:24am

I think most do not have meet and greets. No idea about coming out after just because they want to though. Don't forget that this place usually has multiple shows a day, so they need to empty it after the 1st one to get ready for the 2nd crowd.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#1554 Below after a show
Posted: 2/23/14 at 11:28am

Sometimes performers meet the audience in the bar area so that the restaurant can turnover the main dining room, but it depends entirely on the performer.

grumpyoptimist
#1654 Below after a show
Posted: 2/23/14 at 9:11pm

theatregeek6, about half the shows I've gone to there I've done as a single, it's just pot luck. A couple times I've had delightful folks around me to chat with, other times it gvae me a lot of time to catch up on email and facebook :) Either way, the venue is amazing and as soon as the show starts it doesn't matter much.
WickedlyCarrie, it also depends on the kind of show. If it's one of the ensemble shows where people you recognize have cameos, my experience is they often leave before the show is over. OTOH, when I saw Princesses there where everyone was a co-star (Lindsay Mendez, Sierra Boggess, Patti Murin, Marissa Perry), I think all of them stayed a bit to talk to fans and friends

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#1754 Below after a show
Posted: 2/23/14 at 11:53pm

Alice Ripley usually stays after to chat with fans, sign and take pictures. She was so kind and genorous of her time and one of the nicest people I have ever met.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#1854 Below after a show
Posted: 2/24/14 at 12:00am

It's probably worth a different thread, but the Tiffany Haas and Michael McCorry Rose show mentioned above was absolutely great. The musical arrangements were clever and both of them have great presence. Michael was great both as a leading man, but also as a character man. He has precise comic timing, very expressive and slightly dangerous eyes, and confidence. And a fantastic vocal instrument to go with it all. This was my first time to see him and I was kind of blown away.

I couldn't agree more, Steve. It was my first time seeing Michael, and he was absolutely charming and has a gorgeous voice. I told Michael after the show I would absolutely love to see him as Fiyero, especially after his wonderful performance that evening. Also, Tiffany Haas is fabulous, and I just adore her and her simply gorgeous voice.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

NewPhilosophy Profile Photo
NewPhilosophy
#1954 Below after a show
Posted: 2/28/14 at 1:39pm

I have a kind of tangent question... I'm going to 54 below after Broadway show for one of the 11:30 pm shows at 54 Below and will be by myself. I've never felt un-safe when visiting NYC, but generally because I am careful about where I walk and stuff. But one of my co-workers was kind of freaked out when I mentioned that I probably wouldn't leave 54 Below until around 1 am.

Is there any need for concern for a 22-year-old female walking from 54 Below down to 45th street at that time of night/morning?

lauren9739
#2054 Below after a show
Posted: 2/28/14 at 1:57pm

I think your co-worker is just concerned for you. I've walked from 54 Below to Grand Central at that time by myself many times and have never been nervous about it.

Also to answer another question, I have been seated alone in the main dining room and have made some friends that I still talk to from those experiences. Since it's cabaret seating everyone is seated with strangers anyway. The people there are fans just like you so you already have something in common to talk about.

Updated On: 2/28/14 at 01:57 PM

brdway411
#2154 Below after a show
Posted: 2/28/14 at 1:58pm

I have never had a problem in the area. Just keep your eyes open and pay attention. Same as anywhere in the city. There are so many people out at that time of night it should not be a problem.

Rainbowhigh23
#2254 Below after a show
Posted: 2/28/14 at 2:26pm

"The people there are fans just like you so you already have something in common to talk about."

I always look forward to meeting new people at 54 Below when I see a show for this very reason. The guys at the table I had for Emily Skinner were incredibly sweet and we talked about shows we wanted to see next.

And always be ready for an encounter with someone spectacular at 54 Below - at Emily's show Frances Ruffelle sat in the table booth behind me. I could barely take my eyes off of her the entire time and was wondering who this beautiful waif was because I knew her from somewhere. When we were exiting I found the courage to say hello and she was so sweet.

Updated On: 2/28/14 at 02:26 PM