Best original song Tony Award

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#1Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 5:38pm

Do you guys think that there should be a Tony category for best original song? What would be the nominees for this year?

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 5:42pm

Only if they have a Best Original Monologue category for plays.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CoreyRyan3
#2Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:43pm

I've thought about this before, but I think overall, it would always end up going to a song from the winner of Best Score. Even though it may not deserve it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:51pm

I want a best show curtain category.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#4Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 7:35pm

I always thought that there could be a lot more Tony awards given out each year than there are now
ie: best lyrics, best cast, etc.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#5Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 7:43pm

Best Cast would be nice. Maybe Best Ensemble as well.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#6Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 8:27pm

I don't think it would always go to the score winner. Frank Wildhorn could probably win a Tony Award for writing an amazing song in a show the critics rake over the coals. Celebrity nominees (in the Cyndi Lauper/Boy George vein) could probably be counted on to be nominated. Shoot, tiny little shows like [Title of Show] would probably sneak in as another category to remind people the show existed. It's an interesting concept.

The execution would be the killer. Would the show have to submit possible nominees? Or would the voters be responsible for, theoretically, listening to every song in every new musical (or play) to come out in a season? Would it only be open (Oscar-style) to songs with music and lyrics or would they allow the instrumental songs to get in, as well?

I think it's probably too broad a category to add, sadly.

mjohnson, the two years they split Best Music from Best Lyrics, Sondheim won both categories. Not that they would always go to the same show, but it sure looked like that's where the category was heading.

I want to see the return of Best Conductor and Music Director. Lumping all of that in with Orchestrations and Score (or ignoring it with Conductor) isn't any fun.

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#7Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 8:32pm

I think an added benefit is that a "Tony Winning Best Song" could get performed on talk shows, promoted to radio, etc., a lot easier than an entire score can. Would be a very good marketing move.

It definitely wouldn't always link up with the Best Score winner -- "When I Grow Up," "Defying Gravity," and "Gimme Gimme" would have been likely frontrunners in their respective years, despite not being part of the Best Score.

Picture "Send In The Clowns" versus "Magic To Do" in 1973, "Hello, Dolly" versus "Don't Rain On My Parade" or "People" in 1964, "Unusual Way" versus "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" versus "Not A Day Goes By" in 1982, "I Am What I Am" versus "The Story Goes On" versus "Move On" or "Sunday" in 1984. Very interesting to consider!

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#8Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 8:34pm

Not necessarily Best Song, but maybe Best Lyrics as separated from the music. Last year Kinky Boots took home score but Matilda's lyrics are infinitely better. The benefit of a Best Song category would be recognizing that When I Grow Up is leagues above anything out of the Kinky Boots score, but I doubt we'll ever see such a category.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 8:45pm

I also think it would be a much more viable marketing tool to use (Something that is needed - IMO). I'd also be curious to see how they'd manage to get 5 nominations out of so many songs yearly.

Updated On: 2/23/14 at 08:45 PM

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#10Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 9:18pm

And the 2014 Tony for best Original Song from a musical goes to Rocky for "My Nose Ain't Broke".

Updated On: 2/24/14 at 09:18 PM

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#11Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 10:36pm

I miss the Best Stage Technician Award.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#12Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/23/14 at 11:12pm

Can't wait to see who wins Best Audience Cell Phone Ringtone

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#13Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/24/14 at 6:10am

There should be a Best Stage Door Signer award also.

....but the world goes 'round

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/24/14 at 7:17am

I hope they give an award for Best Belted Note.

And in all seriousness, I don't think it's a good idea to give an award for a piece of a musical theatre score, any more than you would give a Best Hat award in addition to Best Costumes, or a Best Prop award in addition to Best Set Design, or Best Strings Section award in addition to Best Orchestrations, or a Best Body Mic award in addition to Best Sound.

I think the musical theatre medium is different than movies with songs in them.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/24/14 at 9:36am

"Best Hat" should definitely be a category.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#16Best original song Tony Award
Posted: 2/24/14 at 9:50am

Best 12 Bars

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES