Bad Theater Behavior

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#650Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/3/17 at 8:36am

I agree about late seating when it's a huge crowd.  I saw Wicked at the Boston Opera House a couple of weeks ago.  Everything was fine until after intermission.  Once the first song for act 2 was done, the ushers let so many people come back in to reseat. There had to be at least 15-20, maybe more.  How is that fine?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#651Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/3/17 at 9:32am

I was at Dolly the other day, and the man behind me+ his family and friends were incredibly rude. The man kept saying profanities whenever something funny happened, and his family also kept whispering and commenting on the show.

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#652Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/3/17 at 9:57am

Margo319 said: "Wow, I would have told that horrible girl to get up and get the hell out of the theater.  That behavior is worthy of security literally throwing her out on her ass.  Wow.

Bad theater behavior.  The Panic at the Disco fans at Kinky Boots.  They are horrendous.

"

I was SO worried about this when we went last week.  Surprisingly, it was the BEST audience I have been in for some time.  I don't know how I got so lucky! I was literally mentally preparing myself for how awful it could have been.

LxGstv
#653Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:01am

Marianne2 said: "I agree about late seating when it's a huge crowd.  I saw Wicked at the Boston Opera House a couple of weeks ago.  Everything was fine until after intermission.  Once the first song for act 2 was done, the ushers let so many people come back in to reseat. There had to be at least 15-20, maybe more.  How is that fine?

"

Maybe people were still in line for the bathroom when he second act started? I heard that's a common issue at the ladies bathroom in Waitress. There was even an article about it, not Waitress specifically, but about the bathrooms situation on Broadway.

Nicole 10
#654Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 1:00pm

Last night I went to see The Great Comet and there was a girl seated on stage who was mouthing along every single line of the show. For those of you unfamiliar, during Natasha & the Bolkonskys Princess Mary and Natasha grab stools and sit at a table with audience seated onstage. The girl was sitting next to Mary and she was leaning in close to Mary and was making relentless eye contact while mouthing the song along. She continued this throughout the whole song! I get that some fans are very passionate but when there is a literal spotlight on you and you are seated onstage right next to the performers, PLEASE don't do this! It's not only distracting to the audience, but also to the performers! This girl leaned in to every single performer passing her, trying to sing together with Anatole, Helene, Sonya, everyone! 

I think someone must have talked to her during intermission because she wouldn't even pick her head up to watch the show in the second act. She seemed very deflated. But man oh man, someone really did needed to talk to her!

Phantom4ever
#655Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 3:47pm

When I saw The Great Comet on Wednesday, at intermission the woman behind me was talking about the teenage boy sitting downstage center who sang along and sang in the faces of the cast who, according to her, loved his enthusiasm.  I actually didn't notice it during act one and I didn't see him do it during act two. The woman was like "oh it was so cute! The cast just loved it, you could tell!  He just sang right along with them!"   All of her friends in her row were like "wait a minute.  You thought it was cute that some kid sang along? You're kidding, right?"  And she started to back off her comments by saying that maybe he was just mouthing the lyrics and the cast just enjoyed his energy.  

bisous3
#656Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 3:54pm

Nicole 10 said: "Last night I went to see The Great Comet and there was a girl seated on stage who was mouthing along every single line of the show. For those of you unfamiliar, during Natasha & the Bolkonskys Princess Mary and Natasha grab stools and sit at a table with audience seated onstage. The girl was sitting next to Mary and she was leaning in close to Mary and was making relentless eye contact while mouthing the song along. She continued this throughout the whole song! I get that some fans are very passionate but when there is a literal spotlight on you and you are seated onstage right next to the performers, PLEASE don't do this! It's not only distracting to the audience, but also to the performers! This girl leaned in to every single performer passing her, trying to sing together with Anatole, Helene, Sonya, everyone! 

I think someone must have talked to her during intermission because she wouldn't even pick her head up to watch the show in the second act. She seemed very deflated. But man oh man, someone really did needed to talk to her!

"

I was there too!! At intermission I was coming back from the ladies room and over heard two gentlemen complaining to someone who worked at the theater. Before Act 2 started I saw another person go over and have a chat with her. There was another girl sitting to that girl's left that wasn't lip synching like the girl you're referring to, but reacting to every burp and fart like she was part of the cast with these animated facial expressions and hand gestures. It was almost annoying as the lip syncher but not quite. I particularly appreciated how as soon as each cast member saw what the lip syncher was doing they proceeded to completely ignore her. But what a complete and utter distraction she was! I was FURIOUS!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#657Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 4:11pm

Also at Comet....a woman sitting on stage (at a table stage right of Pierre's den) was dressed JUST LIKE Mary, down to the hairstyle!   

However, just yesterday I nearly hurt the man sitting behind me at the banquettes.  Druing the first 20 minutes he just coudn't shut up, talking to the rest of his party, cracking jokes and being obnoxious.  He finally stopped after the 3rd time (or so) of my sushing and glares.  Then it started up again at the begining of Act II....I turned around and asked, "really?".   His son (an adult, too) had to tell him to be quiet.  I was just waiting for him to talk again...but he didn't.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 8/4/17 at 04:11 PM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#658Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 4:36pm

" I was just waiting for him to talk again...but he didn't.".....

Probably drunk...incredible how rude they can be that close to the performance...

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#659Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 4:41pm

Well at least it wasn't as bad as Lucas Steele (Anatole) said when they were performing off-Broadway. He said one patron vomited into her purse.  Talk about a scene stealer.

10086Sundays
#660Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 5:00pm

dramamama611 said: "I was just waiting for him to talk again...but he didn't."

I think that's the worst part of being around people like that for me.  I spend the whole show waiting them for to misbehave again, planning what to say to them.  I'll also be worrying that they'll do it during one of my favorite moments, if it's a show I've seen before. I wish I was better at letting things go. (This board is actually good for practicing that.)

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#661Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/4/17 at 5:09pm

I have lip-synced at the theatre before, but it has been very brief and I'm usually caught up in the excitement/emotion of the performance. But if you are exaggerated like that girl at Comet, then you're definitely a problem. 

LxGstv
#662Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/7/17 at 10:18pm

Not really sure if this deserves its own thread, so I figured that I'd post this here as it would be the most appropriate I think...

I wasn't at this performance, but I came across this on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/MdGxbKRsSnY

I'm shocked that someone was able to record the entire show without getting called out... the person even zooms in and out several times...

Phantom4ever
#663Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/7/17 at 10:38pm

Recording entire shows like that is so common now. People always say to me "I loved Hamilton! The original cast was better than the replacements though."  And I say something about how I didn't know they were able to see both casts, or I didn't know that they were able to get to New York City, etc. And they always say "Oh I just watched them on youtube!"  I teach high school and all of my musical theater nerds have seen every Broadway show that they are interested in seeing on youtube. And if you read the comments, everybody is very thankful because they say they have no way to ever see these shows in person so illegal recordings are vital for them. My cousin has three elementary school-age kids who are obsessed with Hamilton and they watched the OBC on youtube so many times that when they finally saw it live in Chicago they were so disappointed that it was different actors from youtube. This is the world we live in now. 

And as for the video just posted, I LOVED Great Comet.  And I was not expecting to at all. I thought I would be bored to tears but instead I was enchanted by it. However, if I would have watched that bootleg video, I would have thought no way this is not the show for me. That video does not capture the experience in the theater at all. 

By the way, I just saw 8 Broadway shows:

Great Comet--perfect audience

Play That Goes Wrong--perfect audience

Phantom--perfect audience (even the dreaded day campers)

Indecent--perfect audience

1984--perfect audience (even the high school group, although they did not but it was in muffled yet excited whispers and I could tell that they had just read the book so it was kind of cute)

Prince of Broadway--the people behind me narrated the show for each other

Bandstand--perfect audience. Only thing was the elderly man next to me could not fit his knees into the rows without being in terrible pain. I tried to get him to switch seats with me since I was on the aisle and he could stretch out, but he wanted to stand in the back instead.

Chicago--perfect audience

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#664Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/7/17 at 11:07pm

When I saw Cabaret last night at the Kennedy Center, the couple in front of me wouldn't stop canoodling each other during the whole show and during Maybe This Time, the guy tried to take a picture of Leigh Ann, but I stopped him. And shortly before that, a person behind us took a picture with his/her flash camera 

irishgator1
#665Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 8:46am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "When I saw Cabaret last night at the Kennedy Center, the couple in front of me wouldn't stop canoodling each other during the whole show and during Maybe This Time, the guy tried to take a picture of Leigh Ann, but I stopped him. And shortly before that, a person behind us took a picture with his/her flash camera "

I was at that show too in the balcony ("Hello, poor people!"Bad Theater Behavior. The couple across the aisle from us kept eating their mixed nuts VERY loudly and drinking from the ice-filled cup.  They kept passing the items between each other and would put the cup down, only to pick it up 10 seconds later. The nuts (the food, not the couple) were in a plastic container that apparently required loud exertions to open. I think they were drunk, given the way they were eating/drinking/talking/falling up the stairs. 

Btw, balcony seating was very tough for my husband's legs. 

schubox
#666Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:15am

LxGstv said: "Not really sure if this deserves its own thread, so I figured that I'd post this here as it would be the most appropriate I think...

I wasn't at this performance, but I came across this on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/MdGxbKRsSnY

I'm shocked that someone was able to record the entire show without getting called out... the person even zooms in and out several times...

"

Broadway bootlegs are a thing. Pretty much every show you can think of has a bootleg just like the one you posted. The GC one you linked isn't very good though. The location they shot from leaves a lot to be desired 

schubox
#667Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:17am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "When I saw Cabaret last night at the Kennedy Center, the couple in front of me wouldn't stop canoodling each other during the whole show and during Maybe This Time, the guy tried to take a picture of Leigh Ann, but I stopped him. And shortly before that, a person behind us took a picture with his/her flash camera 

"

I love people that use their flashes from 50 feet back from the stage at shows or concerts. How do these people not understand how flashes work?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#668Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:23am

At Hamilton on Saturday, there was a young boy, maybe 8 or 9, wearing a Young, Scrappy, and Hungry T-shirt two rows in front of us, and we were even wondering if he going to get much out of this performance?! But then in act two, when (spoiler alert) Burr shoots Hamilton, this kid loses it, and starts wailing like he just lost a loved one. He was inconsolable, and his father or whomever was next to him had to put his arm around him, while the kid buried his head into their shoulder and continue sobbing. After the show, we all decided he really was following everything and invested.

But, he is not the bad theater behavior. After he is wailing, which was admittedly loud and a bit distracting, the lady in front of me tapped someone else in their party on the shoulder and said, "You should get him out of here, he's annoying everyone..."

A bit of an outlier in this thread, but figured it was worth sharing.

bennyb86
#669Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 3:23pm

This really upset me, I was at Great Comet on Saturday and loved every moment of it and stood up to give a standing ovation and the man behind me after about 10 seconds poked me and said "we can't see, do you mind sitting down?  They didn't do that good of a job"  I was literally stunned and didn't know what to say or do so I sat down but stool up again a bit later.  I know we have a standing ovation crisis in theaters but really, isn't it up to each to decide to stand or not?

coreman009
#670Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 5:22pm

Singing along or even lip-syncing. Lip-syncing can be distracting and draw attention away from the stage, but singing is just completely abhorrent. This isn't a concert. I saw Waitress with Sara Bareilles and the girl behind me started singing multiple times. No thanks, I wanna hear the Grammy winning composer perform, not you. 

10086Sundays
#671Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 5:29pm

Also, parents, please sit with your kid(s) between you so that they annoy you and not the people who did not pay to have to babysit them or deal with their bad behavior. 

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#672Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 5:31pm

Haterobics, that story about the kid is actually kind of sweet. So many posts on this thread are about people who couldn't care less about the stories or the art form. It's refreshing to hear of someone who was so overcome by what they were seeing :)

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#673Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/8/17 at 6:09pm

bisous3 said: "Nicole 10 said: "Last night I went to see The Great Comet and there was a girl seated on stage who was mouthing along every single line of the show. For those of you unfamiliar, during Natasha & the Bolkonskys Princess Mary and Natasha grab stools and sit at a table with audience seated onstage. The girl was sitting next to Mary and she was leaning in close to Mary and was making relentless eye contact while mouthing the song along. She continued this throughout the whole song! I get that some fans are very passionate but when there is a literal spotlight on you and you are seated onstage right next to the performers, PLEASE don't do this! It's not only distracting to the audience, but also to the performers! This girl leaned in to every single performer passing her, trying to sing together with Anatole, Helene, Sonya, everyone! 

"

I was there too!! At intermission I was coming back from the ladies room and over heard two gentlemen complaining to someone who worked at the theater. Before Act 2 started I saw another person go over and have a chat with her. There was another girl sitting to that girl's left that wasn't lip synching like the girl you're referring to, but reacting to every burp and fart like she was part of the cast with these animated facial expressions and hand gestures. It was almost annoying as the lip syncher but not quite. I particularly appreciated how as soon as each cast member saw what the lip syncher was doing they proceeded to completely ignore her. But what a complete and utter distraction she was! I was FURIOUS!

"

I witnessed lip syncher. It appeared she had dressed up as Helene - which is a weird trend I've noticed at the Comet and no other show. I was at one of the downstage tables and I first noticed her mouthing the lyrics during The Duel. I thought for sure I was the only one that was being driven crazy by her conspicuous participation, but then in Act 2 she stopped completely so I assume someone complained to an usher, who then spoke to her.

As the great Homer Simpson said, I hate the public so much.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

mailhandler777
#674Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 8/9/17 at 1:59am

At Wicked in Philly on Sunday night. The 4 kids seated beside of me behaved very well. The older(at least 60-70yrs old) 4 people behind me talking,singing and kneeing the back of my chair. All the stares/looks in the world didn't stop them. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)