Violet Previews

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#50Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:09am

Wow, I'm surprised to read some of these comments. Caught this production tonight and thought it couldn't have been lovelier. The show itself is incredibly moving and Tesori's music has never sounded better than with this cast. Sutton Foster and Joshua Henry, in particular, are giving incredibly powerful performances. There might be some minor quibbles about a transition or two, and the sound design is somewhat muffled but...well...this is it. THIS is the power of musical theatre, if you can allow it to reach you.

I'd take this over just about any other musical offering I've seen this season (I still need to see Hedwig and Bullets). I was just in love with this production. By all means see it. "On My Way" is worth the price of admission. Or "Let It Sing." Or "Raise Me Up." Or...well, you get the idea.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#50Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:09am

Double post.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/6/14 at 12:09 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#52Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:26am

That set would be great for PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#53Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 1:27am

I was also at the show tonight, and I also really, really liked it. I had seen a production of the original (two act) version of the show in college and felt lukewarm about it, but I'm a huge Sutton Foster fan so I thought I'd check this out.

I'm glad I did. The show clicked for me tonight in ways it hadn't before, and I found it to be quite moving. Maybe I'm just at a point in my life where stories about the power of faith and human connection and going on physical journeys to find yourself are especially meaningful and powerful to me, but, even if that's the case, I think VIOLET has a lot going for it. Though I'm admittedly a biased fan, I think Foster is giving an excellent performance. Joshua Henry is also doing amazing work. The music sounds great. Definitely worth the $25 and the 2 hours of my time.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#54Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 11:17am

I have only sat in the mezzanine in the American Airlines for previous shows, so I was curious to know how obstructive the sight lines are on the far sides of the orchestra level? For anyone who has seen the show, would you recommend the mezzanine or is this a piece that should be experienced a little closer?

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#55Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:26pm

I sat on the side orchestra (I forget the seat number, but it was few seats in from the end of the row) and my view wasn't obstructed at all. I don't think you'll have a problem with the side orchestra, and I was happy to be up close rather than in the mezz.

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#56Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:48pm

Saw the third preview of this. I was dramaturg/asst. director for a really lovely production of this show about five years ago so that colors my opinion.

Thought the sound issues were much better based on what others were saying. Is there going to be a cast recording of this one? Everyone sounded wonderful. It's still really early in previews, but I had a hard time staying engaged with the show for the first two thirds. For me, the line delivery was too fast and I really didn't get a sense of physical movement this show really needs. Some important lines lost their emphasis in the rush to deliver them. (At the same time, if it's too slow the show will drag.) Again the music and singing were wonderful, and Raise Me Up almost stole the show. I really started to feel connected to the story and the journey once they got to Beale Street. And the Bring Me to Light had me welling up with tears.

This show has a really special place in my heart, so I really do wish them all the best and hope they have a successful run.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 4/6/14 at 12:48 PM

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#57Violet Previews
Posted: 4/6/14 at 6:01pm

Yes, I can't wait for the recording as well.

The cast recording was announced a while back - it will be available as a 2-disc set on June 3 (http://www.psclassics.com/cd_violet.html).

You can also sign-up for pre-order at the theater itself and get it 2 weeks early, but it seems like you'll be paying more...

bas2
#58Violet Previews
Posted: 4/7/14 at 3:37am

I'm getting tickets for this sometime in the summer, and I've been trying to read up on whatever reviews are present, but I was wondering what the thoughts were on the three main actors (or at least the ones being promoted as such - Sutton Foster, Joshua Henry, Colin Donnell).

For the most part, I've heard that all three are amazing, but the main praise seems to go to Joshua Henry and Sutton Foster (for good reason, both the songs they have are quite amazing) so I've been trying to figure out whether or not Monty's role is just lacking writing/music wise (it doesn't match up to what the other two have) or if it's the acting?

Also, because it's a limited run, do you think there's any worry of vacations among the cast? I have yet to book ticket dates, but I'd like to see the main cast, not understudies (no offense to them!).

broadwayman17
#59Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 2:56pm

Does anyone know if rush seats are available or have they not been selling any due to the hiptix popularity?

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

rjm516
#60Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 4:50pm

I'm conflicted, because while I really really wanted Joshua Henry to have more songs and just more everything, if the show was any longer than it was I would have started getting hella antsy. It was *nice*, well done, but it was boring.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#61Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 4:52pm

I found it to be similar. It's a good production of a merely "okay" show. Even at 90 minutes, it drags, and the ending seems remarkably unearned.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/10/14 at 04:52 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#62Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 7:03pm

Kad-I felt identically. It was 'nice'. I didn't feel transported or even really moved. The songs sounded the same to me after awhile, too and the pace is slow-even at 90 minutes.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#63Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:25pm

I went to Violet tonight, and I had a great time. There were no phones out, no people chomping on food, and the audience was really into it. I didn't know anything about this show, but the gospel and country music was fantastic. You don't hear it on Broadway much, so it's always a nice treat when you do. There wasn't a weak person in the cast. Sutton Foster was incredible, it was so nice to see her again, and she gives a heartbreaking performance. Colin Donnell played the role really well, but his singing was just average for me. Joshua Henry, holy f*cking hell. The man killed it. His voice is heavenly, so rich, powerful, and smooth. The audience was clapping for "Let It Sing" a full 30 seconds before the song even ended. He was so sexy, so intriguing, and had great chemistry with Sutton. But, he was so extraordinary in the Scottsboro Boys, so I'm not surprised. The sound was good, I was row E, dead center. All in all, a great production, with a great score and a rock solid cast.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:29pm

I have to say: Annie Golden stole every scene she was in. Adore her.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sutton Ross
#65Violet Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:35pm

She was wonderful and deeply funny. Love. Also, the show is 105 minutes, not 90. Updated On: 4/11/14 at 11:35 PM

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#66Violet Previews
Posted: 4/12/14 at 5:58pm

If the whole show is only 105 minutes, how are they getting 2 CDs out of it? PS Classics says "This is a two-disc set."

indytallguy
#67Violet Previews
Posted: 4/12/14 at 6:05pm

What Kad and Dreaming said: some nice singing, but ultimately a pretty boring night out.

wexy
#68Violet Previews
Posted: 4/12/14 at 6:10pm

Saw it last night.Was a little tired having been at the R+R HOF concert the night before.
I thought the singing was great but the story just OK

Some of the cast came to the subscriber party afterwards

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Sutton Ross
#69Violet Previews
Posted: 4/12/14 at 7:22pm

There are 23 songs, some of them quite long. I think they can easily make that into a two disc album.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#70Violet Previews
Posted: 4/19/14 at 2:49pm

Saw this last night and thought it was a deeply moving night at the theatre. Sutton Foster's performance was stunning and Joshua Henry was phenomenal. Annie Golden was also really great, too. Didn't really care for Colin Donnell, however. Before the show there was a really nice talkback on the 5th floor lounge that gave a backstory about the show.

Overall, it was fantastic. Will definitely be going back after it opens.

mschwager Profile Photo
mschwager
#71Violet Previews
Posted: 4/19/14 at 5:25pm

Saw this today. It was phenomenal and I thought was one of the strongest musicals I've seen this season. I think the performances across the board were great. Sutton shone as Violet and I think it is a role that she was perfectly suited for (I wasn't sure of this before seeing it).

I really liked the minimalist approach and I think it really worked for this show. I also thought the show worked so much better as one act. I saw it in DC earlier this year and am glad to see they've improved the flow of the story.

Also, for what it's worth, I was in the rear mezz and could see perfectly.

Go see this one. It's worth it.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#72Violet Previews
Posted: 4/19/14 at 11:46pm

I'll be the first to say I'm fairly easily entertained and can usually find something to make sitting thru a show worth it. But I seriously was sooo bored in this show. It had a few moments, but none that I feel I ever need or want to sit thru again. Love the cast, but this show was a huge disappointment.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#73Violet Previews
Posted: 4/20/14 at 1:24am

I liked this production a lot more than the City Center concert. It's a show that benefits from a lot of TLC, which you just can't devote all that much to when doing a one night only concert version. But in this mounting, they've mined the heart, soul, and brain of VIOLET. And they've given it a lovely production, with some stirring sequences.

"Let It Sing" and the gospel song were the highlights at City Center, and they still are here. Joshua Henry all but snags a Tony nod with "Let It Sing" and Rema Webb all but brings the house down with the gospel number. But there are also some really nice quieter moments as well, such as Sutton's gorgeous rendition of "Lay Down Your Head."

Sutton is giving yet another wonderful performance; this is probably one of my favorites of hers. She's very subdued and her acting is just fantastic. She grabs your heart from the start, and by the end, she's very moving. Josh Henry, Colin Donnell, and Annie Golden are each giving fine, fine supporting performances, all with a moment to shine.

I really liked the lighting design for this production as well. The orchestra sounded great.

All in all, this is a strong production of a flawed show. It still feels a bit long and some of the book scenes drag. It's absolutely worth seeing though, especially in a season as devoid of thrilling musicals as this one is. I'd hardly call it a thrilling production, but it is touching and well-executed. And it's always great to see Roundabout step outside of their comfort zone.

NeverSoShy
#74Violet Previews
Posted: 4/20/14 at 7:22am

I saw the show last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. There wasn't a single weak performance among the cast, and there were some really quite phenomenal ones.

Sutton's acting performance was just gorgeous, and it was one of the best things I've seen on stage in recent years. In some ways it was a shame that she didn't have a big 11 o'clock number, if only because this will probably the only time I'll get to see her perform live, living in Britain! However it was a good showcase for 'you don't need to belt your way through a performance to prove that you have an amazing voice (that isn't meant to be an insult to anyone else's performance in any other show! I saw Idina in If/Then the night before and was absolutely blown away, even if I did prefer Sutton's voice overall).

Emerson Steele's portrayal of Young Violet was spot on and I think she's got a very good career ahead of her.

The show itself certainly wasn't my favourite. There wasn't anything in particular that I disliked and I was very moved by certain parts, but it did feel like there was something missing.

If I lived in New York I'd definitely try and see it again, and I cannot wait to buy the cast recording!