Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August- Page 4

Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#75Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 9:35am

I agree with you 100% newintown.

I thought it was completely mediocre.

I think it would have better had they done it as a straight play with just the songs from the movies in the training montages (so maybe a "play with music" then).

Conversely I would have liked it more had it been sung-through. The songs are mostly anthems or power ballads. Recitative connective tissue between songs would have worked in this case, imo.

But as is the songs just kind of sit there and all sound the same (and I'm a HUGE Flaherty and Ahrens fan, so this isn't coming from a hater).

Having said all that I have grown fond of the score over repeated listens, but it's still below average for this songwriting team.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/16/14 at 09:35 AM

pathman2
#76Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:10am

What time into the show does the finale actually start? I don't want to waste a whole slot to see Rocky, but was thinking of buying the cheapest ticket I can to just catch the ending after I see a matinee of Violet. Can the finale be seen from everywhere in the theater? Will they let me in at 4 pm? Thanks!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#77Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:21am

I've never heard of anyone being allowed into a show 20 minutes before the end, but who knows?

I don't think, though, that the finale will be quite so effective if you haven't sat through the stagnant and stultifying 2 hours that precede it.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#78Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:33am

During the Road Conference in May, the show made it clear that they will do anything to make the show viable for a tour. The ring doesn't have to come out into the audience, and they will pare down the set a bit, and mentioned that a week long run in a market was completely doable.

That being said, this may hurt its chances, but you never know.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#79Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:39am

Don't waste your time seeing the finale either.I

Poster Emeritus

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#80Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:41am

pathman, the audience starts moving to the bleacher seats (which takes like 8 minutes) about 15-20 before the end of the show.

And it's not just the ring, they also lower a 4 sided screen box thing like they have over the arena, like this one:

So the entire theater becomes a boxing arena.

It's pretty cool I must say.

PJPan
#81Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:41am

Critics don't really push me in one direction or another anymore. I saw Rocky because I was curious, and for the most part I was at least entertained. The music, as many have agreed with me, didn't seem to fit the show. To me, however, the fight completely made the show worth it. The show will never be on a "top" list for me, but I'll remember that fight.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#82Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 10:44am

Yea, and also props to the fight choreography. It looked like a real fight.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:19am

"I have seen other shows I loved several times also and more than I have seen Rocky. Rocky isn't going to be around long enough for me to see it as many times as I saw Spring Awakening as that show lasted 2 1/2 years. I saw the Boy from Oz, Rent, Altar Boys, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Jersey Boys, Next to Normal, American Idiot and Hugh Jackman Back on Broadway numerous times. There might have been others, but these are the ones I can recall at the moment."

Wow. I just can't imagine seeing any show that often in such a short period of time. After all the Broadway plays, musicals, Off-Broadway, stand-up comedy, and concerts I see, the days I haven't already booked, I enjoy staying home already, heh.

I do envy anyone who got to see N2N a lot, though.

Jack Hughes
#84Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:21am

I just hope this doesn't deter the producers from going forward with the musical version of "Cobra".

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#85Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:42am

^^^
HA!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#86Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:51am

Don't be stupid. COBRA would never work as a musical. But I am really excited that Jerry Herman is writing the score to TANGO & CASH.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#87Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:54am

Why waste the set? There are 5 more Rocky movies to turn into musicals... not to mention the upcoming Creed spinoff movie.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#88Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:56am

Honestly though, that set is just so God Damned impressive, they should just keep it and incorporate it into any other show that moves in there.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#89Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:03pm

The Creed spinoff is already booked at The Apollo.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#90Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:22pm

Ya know, I went into the show solely for the design. And while the set is SUPER impressive. I also felt like the whole show took place under an overpass? It was just so dark and dreary. And the show came from Germany, which I think is more their cup of tea. But still, there are some gorgeous stage pictures happening.

Also, the two best songs in the show are Adrian's. I'm not sure if that's a result of the fact that maybe, we as an audience, just don't want to hear Rocky sing. Everything has to be so deep in his range for it to work, so it just sounds kind of laughable.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#91Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:41pm

Also, the two best songs in the show are Adrian's

I don't know, I agree that "I'm Done" is a great song, but "Fight From the Heart" is pretty great also.

And I don't really care for "Raining".

Hackasaurus_Rex Profile Photo
Hackasaurus_Rex
#92Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:43pm

The original movie is pretty dreary, RippedMan.

I do agree with Newintown about the characters being inarticulate. And his point about Adrian is spot on. She is more powerful in her silences. However, I think Rocky is not a "quiet" character. He actually talks too much and overshares in a childlike way that I always found the most endearing part of his personality. Either way, both characters are a massive challenge for a lyricist. Not impossible, but again, this is one of those things you have to hit directly in the middle of the bullseye when it comes to tone or it can come off silly. I applaud them for trying.

Updated On: 7/16/14 at 12:43 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#93Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:47pm

Heres hoping Margo Seibert has a long career

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#94Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:58pm

Good to know! I haven't seen the movie. I also felt the love story aspect was underdeveloped. I'm assuming that's how it is in the movie? I never understood why either of them really liked each other? The poster design makes it seem like it's such a tumultuous love story, but it's pretty darn basic.

I find "Fight to the Heart" to be pretty lame. Any time Rocky sang I just zoned out. But to each their own.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#95Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 1:16pm

Sad to see this go. Didn’t expect much going in, but I walked out of the theatre very surprised - I enjoyed it a lot. While not a perfect musical, I think it was a solid show. I cared about the characters and was fully entertained (the entire time, not just during the match – although the match was unbelievable). I found much more worth in this than in “Gentleman’s,” personally, and had a significantly better time in the theatre.

As for the simple lyrics, I also think it was simply an effort to speak in the characters’ voices. It worked fine for me, but I understand why it didn’t for others. However, I think there might also have been some complaining if Rocky began to wax poetic, so I’m not sure if there was a good middle ground in this situation.

Interested to hear if a tour will come to fruition or not.

teresa2
#96Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 2:48pm

Haterobics, like i said i have seen pretty much everything else that is out there on Broadway and off Broadway, plays and musicals, but the shows i really like i go more often to. Sometimes it is once a week, sometimes once a month. If I hear a show is closing, or someone I like is leaving, I might go more often. It just varies. I don't see stand up comedy and I havent been to a concert in years as the prices are so exhorbitant. For the theatre i use TDf, TKTS, lotteries SRO, rush, discounts, etc. I won't pay full price for a show, except if it is someone I really want to see and there isn't another way. There aren't too many that fit into that category tho, thank goodness. Believe it or not I do stay home too, LOL!!!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#97Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 3:36pm

How can anyone say NEVERLAND would be a good "fit" when it hasn't played one performance?

The nut of ROCKY must have been outrageous and when more $ and time go into the set than anything else, we have a problem.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#98Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 3:40pm

"How can anyone say NEVERLAND would be a good "fit" when it hasn't played one performance?"

You're so old school... waiting for actual performances... if we did that, how would we already know Kelli O'Hara is winning the Tony next year for her amazing, some might say breathtaking, turn in King & I...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#99Breaking News: ROCKY to Close on Broadway in August
Posted: 7/16/14 at 3:47pm

"The nut of ROCKY must have been outrageous..."

HehehehheeaaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaHaaaaa!!!!