Hedwig's future

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#150Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 11:09am

Hedwig's subject matter alone makes it a tough sell. Sure, they've recouped, but you still need to make money. Rent on Broadway isn't cheap. Luckily, they have money in the kitty for the slower months, but that doesn't mean they can rely on that forever. They need someone who can pull in the numbers.

Hateareobics-once Idina's contract is up, If/Then is finished. I guarantee it. (The show sucks, IMO, and without her its flaws will be even more apparent, though I'm not a fan of hers in the least.)

But in all seriousness, with shows waiting for theaters, Hedwig better get decent numbers. Sure, it has its fans, but how many are willing to fork out hundreds of dollars to see it?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#151Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/12/14 at 11:09am

"So let's wait and see."

That's like the opposite of everything BWW is about! Hedwig's future

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#152Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 3:06pm

does anyone know if the Yitzhak standby, Shannon Conley, has gone?? Also, do you think they'll bring in an u/s for Rannells since he'll be doing 8 shows/week?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#153Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 3:52pm

Im pretty sure they will. Rannels won't be above the title, and folks won't be flocking to see HIM.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#154Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 4:38pm

I'm surprised they aren't doing 8 performances a week and having an alternate for one or two. (I seem to recall at the Jane the alternate went on once a week. I'm sure Jane2 will clarify that.) But I'd imagine the extra performance would help cover the drop in grosses.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#155Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 4:53pm

He's on the same schedule, and an understudy wasn't announced so it's probably just him. He is a big draw for a lot of young people, eight weeks seems about right.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#156Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 5:06pm

In September, the schedule changes with an added Tuesday night, and the Sunday matinee moving to 2 p.m.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#157Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 5:13pm

hmm, I wish I could remember more, but all I can come up with was that Donovan Leitch did one show a week and so did Asa Somers. I forget who they were stepping in for, but I think late in the run. Maybe Michael C. did one a week during JCM's run, or was it Kevin? See, I can't remember, sorry!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#158Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 5:30pm

Seems like Lena revealed the plan is going to be bringing different Hedwigs regularly to keep the show fresh in the new BWW video... people have been speculating that was the case, but I think this is the first time anyone associated with the show has said so....

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Theres-a-New-HEDWIG-in-Town-Andrew-Rannells-Meets-the-Press-20140813 Updated On: 8/13/14 at 05:30 PM

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#159Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 7:38pm

Fascinating. Several interesting and possibly revealing allusions were made in that video. I would guess that JCM was referring to a particular rock star in they may have had in mind (Adam Lambert?). But it sounds like they are very committed to maintaining the integrity of the casting which leaves me hopeful and very excited by the possibilities!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#160Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 8:03pm

I'd like to know who they have in mind?? And more so, if they plan to have a woman play the role at some point.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#161Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 8:23pm

^ they've already learned their lesson.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

FindingNamo
#162Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 8:29pm

Adam Lambert may portray a rock star when he's fronting 50% Queen-Free, but he is not know nor has he every BEEN a rock star.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#163Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/13/14 at 8:33pm

"I'd like to know who they have in mind?? And more so, if they plan to have a woman play the role at some point."

If they just announced the whole list, they wouldn't get a news hit/ticket sales with each "New Hedwig" announcement...

Bwaydreamer3 Profile Photo
Bwaydreamer3
#164Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 7:14pm

I'm not sure what the Hedwig stagedoor is like right now I imagine it's crazy. I am going on Andrew's 3rd show which is the Saturday matinee. Do you guys think he will come out to sign stuff after the show? Also I'm not sure if they put The Hurt Locker playbills in the balcony (I don't think they do) but if I wanted one how would I get it? Would they give it to me if I asked? Thanks guys

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#165Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 7:32pm

"Also I'm not sure if they put The Hurt Locker playbills in the balcony (I don't think they do) but if I wanted one how would I get it? Would they give it to me if I asked? Thanks guys"

They do have The Hurt Locker playbills scattered around the balcony :)

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Bwaydreamer3 Profile Photo
Bwaydreamer3
#166Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 7:41pm

Thanks that makes me so happy!

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#167Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 8:39pm

"Adam Lambert may portray a rock star when he's fronting 50% Queen-Free, but he is not know nor has he every BEEN a rock star. = cocktails kicking in?

Stephanatic

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#168Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 10:50pm

Hedwig's future

Darreyl with an L!

FindingNamo
#169Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 10:53pm

He's an actor-singer from a ginned up TV karaoke show. What's not to hate?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

brenway
#170Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/15/14 at 11:03pm

BwayDreamer3: see ya next Saturday! I am so excited and am wondering the same thing about stage door.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#171Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:08pm

Hedwig is currently on sale until November 23, but Telecharge only lists 5 performances a week after Andrew leaves.
Starting Oct 15, it is Wed-Fri at 8pm, Sat at 7pm, and Sunday at 3pm only.
Could they have a big star who only agreed to 5 shows a week, or could they just not have scheduled the other 2-3 shows per week, because they want to see preference of when they want to perform or something like that?

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#172Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:16pm

^^ OMG really crossing my fingers that that means JCM is going to do it....

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#173Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:26pm

Alix-he's gone on record saying he doesn't want to do it.

It likely means they have a true A-lister who won't perform 7x a week. (And the prices will be insane for those 5 perfs.)

#174Hedwig's future
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:37pm

I heard they were talking to Emma Stone's people. But then again, aren't we all?