pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 3:11pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/17/2014 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: CABARET (5.3%), NEWSIES (2.6%), PIPPIN (0.6%), CHICAGO (0.4%), ROCKY (0.4%),

Down for the week by attendance was: WICKED (-5.7%), LADY DAY AT EMERSON'S BAR & GRILL (-3.7%), CINDERELLA (-3.4%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-3.2%), MAMMA MIA! (-2.7%), KINKY BOOTS (-2.3%), BULLETS OVER BROADWAY (-1.7%), ROCK OF AGES (-1.6%), ONCE (-1.6%), BEAUTIFUL (-1.4%), THE LION KING (-1.1%), LES MISÉRABLES (-0.9%), MOTOWN THE MUSICAL (-0.7%), JERSEY BOYS (-0.6%), HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH (-0.6%), MATILDA (-0.3%), A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 3:17pm

CINDERELLA is holding out pretty well. I can say that I'm very happy with the grosses for GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE.

beautywickedlover
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 3:28pm

Pretty good week for a lot of shows. There's still a few more weeks before summer and the tourist season is over before the difficult fall months.

TheatreKid3
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 4:08pm

NEWSIES is grossing more the then 2014 Tony Winner. When was the last time a Tony Winner for Best Musical never saw a $1 million gross?

Essie4 Profile Photo
Essie4
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 4:18pm

^^Who's to say Gentleman's Guide wouldn't gross $1 million if it were in a bigger house than the Walter Kerr? It's grossing over its gross potential, so it's not like it's doing poorly.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 4:18pm

Not sure but NEWSIES is about to close and is in a 30% larger theatre, which helps.

If/Then losing steam?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/18/14 at 04:18 PM

neonlightsxo
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 4:30pm

If/Then has dropped the past few weeks I think, but I still don't see them closing soon. They did really well in the beginning so they haven't had to use any reserve funds, I would imagine.

I'm still wondering how Once is holding on with those numbers. Cinderella, too. Less than half gross potential

Dessie
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 6:10pm

Looking over past years, the grosses start to drop last two weeks of August

skylight2
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 9:00pm

"NEWSIES is grossing more the then 2014 Tony Winner. When was the last time a Tony Winner for Best Musical never saw a $1 million gross?"

Gentleman's Guide gross % potential is 103.22%. It's doing well. Newsies is 90.56%.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 9:25pm

Newsies coming to an end has made a big difference -- all the fans catching "one last time".

But the other posters are correct: you can't compare the dollar figure directly -- Newsies has a bigger potential, simply because the house is bigger.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 10:50pm

I can see Once and Cinderella closing in January. Unless they can pull off some casting magic (a la Keke/Sherri???).

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 10:50pm

Also, to directly address the (rightfully unhelpful) question: MEMPHIS only broke $1M 3 weeks, but in a much bigger house which would easily make it the weakest Best Musical winner in recent memory. Even after the Tonys that year, it only broke $1M for the first time over Columbus Day weekend that fall. The only other $1M weekends were the New Year's weekends of 2010 and 2011. Those two New Year's weekends were also the only weekends MEMPHIS ever surpassed 80% potential gross.

So, given that GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE has a smaller house and a more limited potential, and has been exceeding it's potential regularly since the Tony win, which MEMPHIS never did, it's reasonable to say that the honest answer to the original question is, "four years."

And then, "ho hum. That was easy to look up."

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:07pm

"Unless they can pull off some casting magic (a la Keke/Sherri???)."

How do we know this is casting magic? They haven't done a single performance and we don't know how much ticket sales will improve yet.

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:11pm

haterobics- That is why I put the "???". It may or may not be magical.

brdway411
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 12:36am

Just checked TDF for shows to see this week and noticed the If/Then is up every day for the next 2 weeks for $45. That cannot be good.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 12:39am

For that much of a deal, you should go one more time and see if it has grown on you. Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14

brdway411
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 12:45am

I would rather watch paint dry. it's much better than that turkey of a show and quieter too.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 6:34am

I got tdf tix for If/Then last week too. I still overpaid.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:39am

Where have the recent TDF locations been? Hate that theater's mezz, would rather be in the rise behind the orchestra. TDF still has an asterisk warning seats could be terrible.

Up In One

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
Posted: 8/19/14 at 10:26am

Yeah, the "If/Then" slippage is notable. Forget the reviews, I believe the problem is the disconnect between the material's adult profile and the star's fan base. Families can't go. Period. The irony is all too obvious: the star of a popular family-centric mega-hit and (remember, she's on the CD, whether they saw her or not; thus, they haven't all aged out) then the world's most popular animated film has a huge fan base under 12, who cannot see her live. It's an issue this summer, certainly, as potent as the critical reception.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Latest Posts

Videos