pixeltracker

Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!

Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#1Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 10:08am

Full Story Here! Updated On: 9/29/14 at 10:08 AM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 10:24am

Great! Another show I have to decide if I'm going to see in May! lol. Hopefully Jeremy is still involved.

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#2Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 10:49am

Any idea of a first preview date?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#3Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:17am

WOW I'M SO SURPRISED! I mean, I thought I was going to faint from the shock.

Let's hope they do serious re-writes-audiences may have loved it in Boston, where they don't get much in the way of decent theater, but here in NY...well audiences have more to pick from and with ticket prices being what they are...

Back Row
#4Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:37am

"Let's hope they do serious re-writes-audiences may have loved it in Boston, where they don't get much in the way of decent theater..."

If they make changes hoping to appeal to that kind of parochial view, it is indeed doomed to failure. Frankly, I think Weinstein knows exactly who he has to appeal to in order to make money, and the show has been crafted for that audience. The Boston audience is not unlike a tourist audience, and it was generally well received. He knows where the money is.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#5Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:42am

The first preview is supposed to be sometime in March, so at this point, the production will be shut down for about five months where they can be able to make all the changes necessary.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#6Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:48am

Wow this might make it to Labor Day.

Its fine the Boston public endorsing this so widly, but Ben Brantley thought this was a total stinker as did the British press when it opened in Leicester.

Surprised that the Nederlander group found room for this, especially in one of their biggest houses. Don't expect this to last long.

FindingNamo
#7Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:51am

"Let's hope they do serious re-writes-audiences may have loved it in Boston, where they don't get much in the way of decent theater"

Ha HA!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Back Row
#8Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 11:55am

Brantley's non review was little more than a summary of why he hates all things Weinstein, with very little to say about the show itself. The show that was reviewed by the British press was not the same show.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#9Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 1:23pm

I think this show is gonna last because it has elements of magic, and peter pan and stuff, and people always buy tickets to those kinda shows

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#10Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 3:13pm

I was hoping this would go into the Atkinson. The Lunt seems too large.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#11Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 3:51pm

Tottally sensible suggestion for the Brooks.

'I think this show is gonna last because it has elements of magic, and peter pan and stuff, and people always buy tickets to those kinda shows'

No theatre goers are now immune now from all that spectacle, a casing point being Rocky.

Wonder if Weinstein do the ice bucket challenge from Riedel, when this doesn't sell tickets.

Jarethan
#12Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:01pm

I agree. Maybe the Richard Rodgers?

I am a long-term New Yorker, living in Cape Cod in the summer. I consider myself an experienced theatre goer with good taste. I thought Finding Neverland was great, although still in need of some work, and I am tired of the people who keep bashing it and Diane Paulus, many without having even seen it.

It is a magical show with an excellent book, a number of very good songs (have to admit that I appreciated the score more on second viewing, which is typical for me), OUTSTANDING direction -- there are two scenes in the show that are among my all-time favorites, both of which are due primarily to the directorial concept for the scenes -- the end of Act one (although ironically, I thought the song could be better) and (spoiler) Sylvia's death scene. Both are pure magic.

Does it need work...yes. But, I don't think a lot. A few songs could be improved...the furniture song still does not work for me although I understand its objective; the kid's number needs work (replace it?) and the adult cast members popping theirs heads over the fence is too cute (dare I say twee) for comfort. In fact, the adults should not be allowed on the stage during that number...it should be a show stopper for the kids, which it is not today. I also think we need to learn about Sylvia's illness in the first act, perhaps via a song in which she worries about the kids. A few well placed coughs or signs of fatigue would also work wonders, particularly in the pub scene.

I really hope that Harvey Weinstein uses his promotional magic on this one to give it time to build an audience if the reviews re mixed. Finally, in this era of sickeningly regular standing ovations, the fact that it got one is meaningless. The smiling faces in the audience and the heavy applause during the show are a good sign to me.

I have to admit, finally, that Cyrano (Christopher Plummer) and Darling of the Day are two cherished shows in a lifetime of viewing and they managed about 110 performances between the two of them. On the other hand, I hated CATS and was actually a little bored the second time I saw Book of Mormon and The Lion King, so...who knows.

In any event, the Lunt Fontanne seems a little too big to me.

Updated On: 9/29/14 at 04:01 PM

Junior Babcock Profile Photo
Junior Babcock
#13Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 4:39pm

Thanks Jarethan. I agree fully, well almost. I enjoyed the show more the second time, and having seen the film on which it is based. The second act seemed much stronger than the first (with the exception of the first act finale) and they need to give the audience a hint that Sylvia is not well long before she collapses. As I recall, she dances on a table and then collapses in the next scene. Second time around, I was charmed by the score.

I'm even with you when it comes to Darling of the Day (Married Alive, when I saw it in Boston tryouts) and Cyrano and Cats (hated it). I can only add that I also loved A Time for Singing, which sank like a rock when it reached New York. So what do I know?

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#14Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 6:55pm

This absolutely needs a smaller theatre.... Can't believe Weinsteins top choice for this show was the st. james the show would have drowned in their. Very excited to see what 11 million dollars will do to this show.

buffy27 Profile Photo
buffy27
#15Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/1/14 at 9:20pm

If Jeremy is out why not Gavin Creel? He's worked with Diane. He has the age,the look. I think he'd be perfect.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#16Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:08am

Routing for this show. I throughly enjoyed it. Pure fun and some incredible theatrical moments. Plus the score which I liked a lot...way better than some acclaimed more recent musicals

To the artists and production team involved, we've got you, this is gonna be a hit

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#17Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:31am

This show shouldn't be 'pure fun' and that's what worries me about it. Seems to have completely ignored it's source material

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#18Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:25am

This proves one thing: Harvey Weinstein has more money than Berry Gordy.

evic
#19Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:27am

Roger Bart made the right decision to leave this sinking ship before the **** really hits the fan.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#20Finding Neverland Books the Lunt-Fontanne for April 8th Opening!
Posted: 10/2/14 at 7:51am

and how exactly is this a sinking ship?