Emma Stone Stage Door

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#50Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:18pm

most actors like the audience at the stage door.

AndersonTours
#51Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:26am

NYC4Life: I'm not so sure that's true. Having produced over a hundred shows on the road, and knowing thousands of actors, I can honestly say most do not. Most just want to go home or see friends or have a bite to eat after a long night's work. They're tired after a show and the throngs of people who wait at the door (especially if there is a star in the show) can be overwhelming & tiresome night to night.
But perhaps I'm wrong.

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#52Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:37am

I've posted this before, and I'll post it here again. Bebe Neuwirth has some interesting points on the whole stage door thing. Take it for what you will.

The stage door discussion starts around 44:16...

Men don't even belt.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#53Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:02pm

beltingbaritone, thanks for posting that link. That was a really fascinating panel discussion. All four of them were really thoughtful and open about their experiences. It was much more thought-provoking and genuine than most interviews.

I'm not sure that I agree, though, that Bebe Neuwirth should have found someone saying, "I didn't know Lilith could dance" was offensive. The person is trying to be complimentary by making a joke -- maybe it came out awkward, but the person is trying to give her a compliment. Lilith was a very uptight character, who would never dance. And for better or worse, Bebe is known by most people for portraying Lilith. She can wish it wasn't true, but it is. It doesn't mean that the person saying that thinks she is Lilith. (Although I found it interesting when Alice Ripley said that a lot of people at the stage door for Next to Normal had a hard time understanding that she is not Diana and didn't go through those issues herself.)

I was wondering what people think about the other idea mentioned, that even just saying, "I loved you in Frasier," is offensive and somehow dismissive of the current role. I wouldn't want to be offensive by bringing up a prior role in an offensive manner. What are good ways of praising a previous portrayal in a non-offensive way?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#54Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:53pm

I was kind of intrigued by what Bebe said: "The audience is part of the show." I agree with her about being bemused at that fan's comment about Lillith knowing how to dance. It comes across as ignorant, in my opinion. Now, since the thread is actually about Emma Stone, how crowded is the stage door since she began as Sally Bowles?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#55Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 3:00pm

"I agree with her about being bemused at that fan's comment about Lillith knowing how to dance. It comes across as ignorant, in my opinion."

Eh, it is just someone not knowing what to say and trying to say something funny in person. They are clearly not saying they are surprised Bebe knows how to dance, just that it would be out of character for Lilith...

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#56Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 3:11pm

In my opinion, you should always comment on what you just saw (positively), then compliment them on previous work. I have always done this and I never felt (nor do I think the performer felt) awkward or offended. For example, after I saw Pippin I told Rachel Bay Jones how awesome she was in the show and that she was hilarious. Then I told her how much I miss Women on the Verge and she seemed delighted that someone knew she had been in it. Then we had a great little conversation about what a great score it is and that it was being produced in the west end. I don't think it's rude, just make it appropriate for the situation.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#57Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 4:09pm

I once saw Lucie Arnaz talk about the stage door. She said the comment she hears most often is not "You were great tonight", it's "I loved your mother SO MUCH".

Look, I think stage dooring is fine... for people under 16 years old. A grown man belongs no where near a stage door, unless you've been performing. These people just gave their all. Leave them to go rest, I say.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#58Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 11/30/14 at 8:32pm

^ You can't put an age limit on this kind of thing- there are always exceptions.

Darreyl with an L!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#59Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 12/1/14 at 5:58am

I just don't understand it. Period. They are people, just people. They did a job and now they want to go home.

My dd loves it. My son and I, never. We just want to see the show and then discuss it. For my dd, it completes her experience.

When I bring students into the city for a show, a will not allow them to SD.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#60Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 9:10am

Was just wondering if anyone has been to the stage door recently and if it was very crowded? Going tomorrow night and I can't wait!

Also, the first time I saw the show I walked around the block to get to the stage door, but I heard there were doors that went right out the stage door? Are they to the right or the left in the theater? Also, do you get Playbills if you exit out that door?

Thanks! :)

bfreak
#61Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:06am

Based off the videos on YouTube there are more people then when Michelle Williams was in it, but it looks like the barricades are stretched out far enough so that everyone can meet everyone. When I went to the stage door in September, I walked around the block so I'm not sure what door in the theatre would lead you out to the stage door. I'm going back to see the show in early February, and I will stage door and let you know how it worked out (unless if you're going before then).

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#62Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:12am

There are doors that exit onto 53rd Street, by the stage door. If you're facing the bar downstairs, exit through the doors on your left. I'm not positive whether there are Playbills at that exit, but you could always go grab one near the 54th Street doors, then walk back through the theater to the 53rd Street exit if you really want to avoid walking around the block....

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#63Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:19am

Oh I don't mind walking around the block, I just didn't want it to be crazy crowded by the time I got there if I did, so I was just wondering if there were Playbills by that exit. :)

I will definitely let you know how it goes!

bfreak
#64Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:21am

When are you going, n2nbaby?

P.S. I hope you have more success this time as I remember you wanting to see Michelle Williams, and her understudy being on for her instead.

hanabana
#65Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:45pm

When I saw the show a bit over a month ago, I went out the door that exits to the stage door, and they were passing out Playbills at that exit. During intermission, I asked an usher about the Playbills and was told that they would be passing them out at every exit.
I did find it strange that they pass out Playbills at the end of the show. Are there any other shows that do that? I am so used to looking at the Playbill and reading about the performers before the show starts and during intermission that this kind of threw me off guard.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#66Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:49pm

I think they pass them out in the mezzanine (maybe not, haven't been up there), but in the orchestra, the tables are technically part of the Kit Kat Club, so they don't want Playbills laying around during the show with Alan and others coming through, interacting, etc. You're part of the show, sitting on the stage ,for all intents and purposes...

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#67Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:58pm

They do not pass them out in the mezz either, at least not when I was there.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

bfreak
#68Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:58pm

I sat in the mezzanine when I saw it, and I got a playbill when I was leaving. The reason why they give out playbills at the end is because they (the producers) want the audience to feel like they are in an actual cabaret when they are watching the show. Originally the producers wanted there to be no playbills for the show at all but they were told that was against the rules when putting on a Broadway show.

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#69Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 1:59pm

I like the logic behind not having the Playbills ruin the club setting, but personally I think that's already sort of destroyed by the sippy cups they serve cocktails in that have both "Cabaret" and "Roundabout Theatre Company" printed on them.... Also, when there's an understudy on, they leave the insert cards that would usually go in the Playbill on the tables instead, which, again, ruins the illusion a bit.

bfreak
#70Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 2:03pm

Alix, I wonder if they do both with the understudy cards because when I saw it there was an understudy for a secondary character, and between sitting in the mezzanine (mid mezzanine) and getting the playbill at the end, there was an understudy slip in the playbill (even though I had checked the board before the show began).

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#71Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 9:29pm

@bfreak I am going tomorrow night! Leaving first thing in the morning, having dinner at Serendipity, going to stop at Schamackary's so I can bring some cookies home and then off to the show and then the long drive home! :)

How sweet that someone remembers something I say. :P Most of the time I post and figure nobody even reads the posts. :)

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#72Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 9:55pm

Went Saturday night and it was fairly crowded and pretty deep. I sat in the front mezz, went out the main entrance, cut through the parking garage, and still made it in time to secure a spot directly on the barricade (but pretty far down). Alan came out within 30 minutes or so and Bill Heck a few minutes after him. Alan was kind and signed all the way down the barricade, and Bill was also very generous and even leaned over Alan (or Emma's) car to take selfies with people. :) I waited an hour and twenty minutes for Emma and eventually left. However, I saw via Twitter that she did come out that night-seemed to be around 12:15 or 12:30. I overheard someone saying that she usually is out much earlier, so she might have had something to do Saturday night.

Have a great time!

bfreak
#73Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:12pm

I hope when I go that Emma doesn't come out too late because while I understand it's her job and has other things to attend to, I would really like to meet her after and don't want to have to stay too late.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#74Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:20pm

I have heard she comes out relatively quickly. There must have been something going on. The first time I saw it it only took 15 minutes or so for Alan to come out as well.

Videos