pixeltracker

Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP- Page 2

Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#25Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/27/14 at 3:10pm

So at the Thanksgiving performance today, they performed "Show Some Respect," which they changed to make it predominately sung by Sting with the ensemble in the background. Do you think they might be changing it in the show too, so that Jackie leads the number? It makes sense that they would want to make Jackie even more of a singing role while Sting is playing the part.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#26Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/27/14 at 8:26pm

Unless I took a nap at that point, Jackie was already a large point of that number.

Is Jimmy Nail not actually leaving? Noticed he was still in that number...

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#27Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:51pm

I don't imagine they'll give the song to him. It doesn't make sense dramatically. But featuring your star attraction in the most entertaining number from the show on the parade does.

I hope he boosts sales. I think the show is beautiful. Very flawed, yes, but heartfelt and lovely and ambitious. The score is perfection. The book is the weak link. Not what I would have guessed based on the creative team, but Sting's work really impressed me.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#28Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 8:10am

"I don't imagine they'll give the song to him. It doesn't make sense dramatically. But featuring your star attraction in the most entertaining number from the show on the parade does. "

I thought this was very entertaining yesterday and hope it helps the show.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#28Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 8:10am

"I don't imagine they'll give the song to him. It doesn't make sense dramatically. But featuring your star attraction in the most entertaining number from the show on the parade does. "

I thought this was very entertaining yesterday and hope it helps the show.

ILuv2shop531
#30Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 10:40am

Had a random thought, isn't Sting getting honored by the Kennedy Center during the month of December? Is this being taped before he joins the show or during? If it is during, I wonder if he would miss a performance or they wouldn't have a show that night and change the schedule for the week? Maybe the cast is performing in his tribute, who knows.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 11:20am

"Had a random thought, isn't Sting getting honored by the Kennedy Center during the month of December?"

Fortunately, I was online when I read this, so a quick Google search shows this event is 2 days before he joins the show.

ILuv2shop531
#32Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 11:40am

That worked out well! I wonder if the show will be involved at all since it is his current project?

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#33Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 11/28/14 at 1:33pm

I hope they would know better than to start redistributing songs. Talk about undermining an already precariously weak book. Presumably Sting prizes the integrity of his show too much to do that... or else he could have just benched Michael Esper and taken the whole thing over.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#34Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 2:48pm

If anyone on the board is going to see Sting in the Last Ship tonight (or any night), please report back! I'm curious to hear if the role has been expanded for him.

neonlightsxo
#35Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 4:13pm

"or else he could have just benched Michael Esper and taken the whole thing over. "

This is a joke right? Gideon is clearly in his 30s, and Sting is not.

I'm seeing Sting in the show on Saturday, but I'm sure someone here will go before that.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#36Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 4:19pm

After Sting has completed his short run, it would be interesting if he called some of his famous rock star friends to fill in a few weeks at a time for the remainder of the winter and until the Tony's ... hoping to somehow get a few nominations and perhaps breathe life into the show and ticket sales.

I don't know who Sting's friends are, but it could be like "Love Letters" for rock stars .... David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney, Bono (when he heals up, etc ...

Updated On: 12/9/14 at 04:19 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#37Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 5:15pm

I highly doubt any of those guys would be available to go into a Broadway show. Sting wrote it, and he's obviously passionate about the project. It makes sense for him to join the show, and there's appeal in seeing a famous singer performing material they wrote; I don't even know if the appeal would remain if it were some other aging rock star.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#38Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 5:47pm

The main attraction here is seeing STING live in a BWAY show called The Last Ship that won't last once STING is gone...The Ship will sink!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/9/14 at 05:47 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#39Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 5:49pm

Interestingly there is still a bit of availability for tonight's show.

It was never really clear how much they expected the boost with Sting to be, but it doesn't look like it's the hottest ticket in town.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#40Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 6:53pm

I'm wondering if people were scared off by the weather.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/9/14 at 10:20pm

So, how is STING???

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#43Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/10/14 at 8:22am

LOVE LETTERS with Sting and Patti Smith. I'm there.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/10/14 at 8:35am

I think it is extremely unlikely for anyone of note other than Sting to take over what is an extremely thankless and non-showy role.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

neonlightsxo
#45Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/10/14 at 9:03am

I don't think they're expecting it to be the hottest ticket in town, they're just trying to make enough to cover their losses.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#46Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/10/14 at 11:41pm

I didn't care for THE LAST SHIP when I saw the first preview on Broadway. However, Sting was excellent tonight and his presence (even in a small role) seemed to elevate the cast and the audience. It isn't the best show on Broadway, but I enjoyed THE LAST SHIP much more upon second viewing.

Sting has fantastic stage presence and, of course, a great voice - perfect for this show. I didn't notice any changes or beefing up of his role, but I did notice that he didn't really participate in the dancing/choreography. He was mostly on the periphery during the large ensemble numbers. I don't remember if his predecessor did the same...someone who has seen it more recently can weigh in on that.

Still, if you're a fan of his, I would recommend seeing him in the show during the next month. A pleasant and most welcome addition to the show.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Sting had the third to last bow at curtain call, preceded by Fred Applegate, and followed by Rachel Tucker and Michael Esper.

April Saul
#47Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/11/14 at 2:31am

I saw it tonight, too, and even though it was not a perfect musical by any means, the music was lovely and seeing Sting in it was a lot of fun.

Just wanted to add--in case it pops back up on TDF or already has--that my TDF seat was excellent, Row R of the orchestra and better still when I upgraded to third row after intermission Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP

neonlightsxo
#49Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
Posted: 12/11/14 at 9:13am

Jimmy Nail didn't really dance either.

"Also, in case anyone was wondering, Sting had the third to last bow at curtain call, preceded by Fred Applegate, and followed by Rachel Tucker and Michael Esper."

That's the same as it always has been.

Videos