HAMILTON Previews

After Eight
#50HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:26am

"think of BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON"

I try not to.

But MM, you're right. There are certain aspects of Hamilton that bear the same mindset as BBAJ, but not not as gratingly or obnoxiously.

Let's at least be thankful for that.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#51HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:12am

I listen to the cast album of BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON probably at least once a month on the train; saw it four times. Not everyone can like everything. :)

Can't wait to see what HAMILTON becomes.

And for those wondering about what Lottery was like... there were about 200 people there for 7 tickets. The number of tickets changes every day based on what is left over from the online lottery and other factors apparently... per an employee that didn't really seem to know the answer to the question.

neonlightsxo
#52HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:14am

I have to heartily disagree with After Eight- shocking.

Aaron Burr and Hamilton, as well as many of the other characters, are given a lot of dimension. I was surprised at how much I felt for these characters.

The hip hop format works great. Hamilton was a writer, a man of many words, as were many of our founding fathers. What better format than a word-heavy musical?

Lin's lyrics are unbelievably sharp, as well as some of his best melodies yet. I hope I'm able to see it again.

Btw, got out at 10:55 on Friday. Updated On: 1/26/15 at 10:14 AM

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#53HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:09am

Saw the show Saturday night and absolutely loved it. It can be trimmed, but honestly I wasn't bothered by the running time. Thought the performances were great. Lin-Manuel Miranda has crafted a very creative, entertaining musical. I was mesmerized by the choreography and the costumes. This show will only get better. I don't know how, but I must see it again.

neonlightsxo
#54HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:12am

Obviously the show needs to be trimmed, just because of the length, but I'm not sure where the cuts should be made. Maybe the second act. But there wasn't any obvious lag or extraneous musical numbers, at least not to me.

CoreyRyan3
#55HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/26/15 at 1:03pm

Just an FYI, there are about 15 tickets available on the Public website for Tuesday's performance of Hamilton right now.

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#56HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/27/15 at 9:49am

Thank you for the heads up, I was able to score a ticket for tonight!

HBBrock
#57HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/27/15 at 8:08pm

2 great pairs of seats just opened for this Sundays matinee....one of them being 5th row dead center.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#58HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 4:02am

I entered the in-person lottery Tuesday night in hopes that the snow would keep people away and I could see the show again, but the lobby was quite crowded. Seventeen tickets were sold ($20). I was not one of the lucky ones!

iagowasframed
#59HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 5:41am

oh I'm so happy to read this, I'm taking my 16 year old son 3/14 and was afraid it wouldn't be his style. Sounds like it is can't wait!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#60HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 11:40am

macnyc: I was there last night too. I had the same thought as you about the snow. I think it might have actually ended up being MORE crowded than usual. Maybe since everyone's work got cancelled, more people were able to make it in time to enter.

Fun side note: That adorable little theatre critic, Iain, was at the lotto last night. I saw him crying after he lost the lotto, which just melted my heart. Luckily I think he got in via the cancellation line. I'm looking forward to his review!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#61HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:13pm

these photos of the production are quite stunning. Looks like a great deal of money went into this production. Looking forward to seeing it in two weeks!
Photo Flash

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#62HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:16pm

^Complete opposite reaction. It looks like an SNL sketch or a scene from Smash.

Who is the costume designer?! Oy.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#63HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:18pm

JBroadway, that is hilarious about Iain! I'm glad he got in.

The production is stunning! I hope it extends again.

neonlightsxo
#64HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:47pm

I'm not a fan of the costume design either, but it doesn't detract from the show or anything. It's just OK. It's by Paul Tazewell.

And yes, the production is clearly very expensive. Multiple costume changes and all

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 12:47 PM

Baileyboo
#65HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:53pm

I heard it mentioned possibly to the Rodgers nest.

Baileyboo
#66HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:54pm

Now, if only I could type.

To the Rodgers NEXT.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#67HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:20pm

Plus, Brian D'Arcy James' costume is incredible! Really over the top regal. It adds greatly to the humor of his performance.

broadwayboy223
#68HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:37pm

I don't live in NYC so I hope they record a cast album or a bootleg shows up. I've been reading nothing but good things about it and i wanna hear the music.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#69HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 4:12pm

The buzz on this show is that it's the next big thing...broadway awaits and hear that Lin would luv to be back @ the Rodgers. For those that have seen the show already, is the Rodgers a good fit for Hamilton?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

IloveBroadwAY3
#70HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/28/15 at 7:49pm

sorry that set looks ugly or is just me

neonlightsxo
#71HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 9:26am

Sure, it would fit at the Rodgers. It's a relatively simple set.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#72HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 9:33am

"The buzz on this show is that it's the next big thing..."

I recall this was also said about Caroline or Change and Passing Strange - both shows that earned a certain amount of respect, but lost every cent invested.

Nothing against Hamilton (I'm looking forward very much to seeing it next week), but "buzz" is rarely attached to reality.

neonlightsxo
#73HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 10:30am

I'm not being snarky, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know, did Caroline or Passing Strange sell out the run before they started performances the way Hamilton did? I think the way that Hamilton is selling shows that it has a greater commercial audience than those two.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74HAMILTON Previews
Posted: 1/29/15 at 10:38am

Caroline, as well as fellow Public transfer flop Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, sold out multiple extensions at the Public.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."