pixeltracker

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread- Page 3

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#50Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:07pm

I don't know who those other bitches were, but Hedwig is finally on Broadway!

Obviously, this was going to be a theater packed with people ready to give it up, as evidenced by Jay Brannan across the aisle from me, Miriam Shor a few rows back, multiple people in full Hedwig drag.

The first standing ovation occurred before we even saw JCMs knees, with the roar drowning out Yitzhak's intro, and we may have stood for the entire first song. For a moment, I wondered if we were going to turn the whole thing into a rock concert and never use our seats...

JCM was completely on his game, and very present when he wasn't, whether a snagged mic cord or other incidental thing happened. He had the confidence of someone in the middle of a run, not a first show, but this part is well into his bones by now.

The show didn't end until 10p, and not all of that was the audience, as I swear JCM did an extra 15 minutes, both extending lines to be more drawn out and contemplative, as well as a lot of new material. None of which I'll spoil here, although people who keep asking whether the Kathy Griffin line is still in there? No.

I'm totally biased, admittedly, since he was my first Hedwig, my movie Hedwig, the voice of the two Hedwig CDs I listen to, so... it wasn't watching a new actor give a take on a role. JCM just exudes Hedwig effortlessly. The emotional stuff was deeper, the lewd parts dirtier, and the audience interaction extended and perfect.

But yes, we stood a lot, we clapped a lot, we cheered a lot, and the theater was filled with magic. When the band kicked in during Midnight Radio, there was no build for the audience to join in. It was the orchestra, mezzanine, and balcony all on its feet, both hands in the air, and engaged immediately.

JCM looked overwhelmed during his curtain call, during which Trask came out for a bow, too... and it would be hard to imagine a more perfect night, a more perfect show, or a more perfect Hedwig.

Lift up your hands!

And who do we have to blow to get that bitch a Tony?

Updated On: 1/22/15 at 11:07 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#51Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:27pm

Tonight was honestly one of the most incredible nights of theater I have ever witnessed or been a part of. I sadly was far too young to have even been aware of Hedwig in its original incarnation, but I fell in love with this one. I saw both NPH and Andrew Rannells, and both brought wonderful things to the role. But John Cameron Mitchell is this part. Everything seemed effortless, even the slight mishaps. He was everything I dreamed he would be, and the crowd was electric. It is so rare to see a performer inhabit a role so completely and in such an honest way. He was bitchy and brash and open and funny and warm and angry and bitter and so many other things by turns, and every beat was natural and felt like it was happening for the first time. I can't wait to go back.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#52Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:30pm

As haterobics said, it was a totally incredible show! JCM was amazing. I can die happy now!

There were actually quite a few changes from what I remembered from previous Broadway Hedwigs. He tailored the show to what he felt like doing, and heck, it's his show, so he can do what he wants!

JCM didn't climb the walls on the side of the stage and didn't engage with the "interactive box." (I think the box was used tonight for lottery winners.)

Instead, he went grabbed a cellphone out of Yitzhak's back pocket and went out into the audience with it. He made conversation with at least two people about Grindr and other dating sites. It was very funny.

I noticed lots of text changes too. I think a lot was added or ad libbed. As haterobics said, the show didn't get out until 10.

It was great to have Stephen Trask come out and take a bow at the curtain call. I believe he gave JCM a long smooch! At least, from where I was sitting, that's what it seemed like.

I have never been in a theater with that much love and enthusiasm for a performer. Yes, there were four or five standing ovations. I lost count. It was crazy fun!

Updated On: 1/21/15 at 11:30 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#53Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:37pm

"I believe he gave JCM a long smooch! At least, from where I was sitting, that's what it seemed like."

He did, indeed.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#54Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:09am

I hate to be "that" person, but did anyone notice if those vintage-looking JCM window cards are in fact being sold?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#55Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:12am

Nope. It was the black one with the shiny mylary letters kind, with JCM's name on them. The merch guy wasn't sure if he would be getting any other designs. But he also said, he wouldn't know if they were coming in tomorrow, too...

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#56Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:15am

Darn, I was really hoping they'd be available. Nonetheless, it sounds like it was a magical evening to say the least. Thanks for sharing your experience!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#57Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:17am

JCM got the big name in mylar treatment, though, not the Andrew Rannells mouse text at the bottom version. I figured I'd wait and see if they bring a new one out before I decide which one to buy/get signed.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#58Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:22am

Way to go guys.

Stephanatic

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#59Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:25am

I so need to see this. I'm so happy this is on Broadway for people like me who had no outlet to this show before. I want to see him so bad!!!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#60Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 6:56am

The curtain call and the smooch!

Hedwig curtain call Updated On: 1/22/15 at 06:56 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#61Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:18am

Someone has to ask it...

...How was the stage door?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#62Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:26am

A mob scene!

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#63Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 9:02am

Well, time for the poor college kid to start going to the lotto every night with his friends to win! This sound incredible and I can't imagine what it feels like to be back in this role on Broadway. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#64Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 9:20am

Remember they still have $49 balcony seats, which are only $12 more than the lotto and are not partial view....

nyctechie08
#65Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 10:31am

LOL!! Great review Haterobics! Thanks! Can't wait!

Updated On: 1/22/15 at 10:31 AM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#66Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 10:33am

I debated on whether to get opening night tickets or his last night. I ended up buying tickets for the last night and am now kind of regretting it haha.

Plus I bought for the 7pm show forgetting there was a 10pm performance. Oh well... I could NOT be more excited for this!

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#67Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 10:39am

And, of course, there's the chance he'll extend, so it won't even BE his 2nd to last performance.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#68Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:53pm

Lena on Instagram: "Last night was historic. I've never experienced anything like that. I am one of the luckiest people on the planet and I am so thankful for ALL of this!!! Emotionally I'm totally drained. It's all quite overwhelming. And I get to do it all over again!!!"

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#69Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 2:55pm

Here some of my favorite ad-libs from the invited dress. They seemed to be made up on the spot, so I hope I'm not spoiling anything. Just thought it would be a fun documentation. You've been warned!

During the first 15 minutes of the show the right side of his hair was falling out a bit. "Do we have trouble in The West Wing?" Hedwig asked and the audience laughed. "Wait, I think this really is west, that's amazing," and the audience died. It was in fact facing the west side of The Belasco. Even Hedwig laughed a little at that one. Yitzhak came out a moment later and fixed it with a bobby pin and the audience "awwww"ed.

Right before Wicked Little Town, one of John's eyelashes fell off. He picked it up and stuck it over his lip and raised his arm straight in the Heil Hitler pose and the audience groaned and laughed. Then he pulled off the other lash and threw them on the stage. "There, go ahead and clone me with that."

He also struggled with the microphone cord a bit and finally stopped the show and just goes, "this is fifty percent of the show, ladies and gentlemen. Fifty perfect of the f**king show." About five minutes later it got caught on the car and Hedwig started whipping the cord back and forth screaming, "FIFTY PERCENT!"

I'll post more if they come to me. :)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#70Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 2:58pm

"Then he pulled off the other lash and threw them on the stage. "There, go ahead and clone me with that.""

We got a variation of that as I get he was a bit congested, so he put his finger over one nostril and launched whatever was blocking his nasal passage onto the stage through the other, and he told someone in the front row, they could clone him with that, if I'm remembering correctly.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#71Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 3:14pm

Yep haterobics, that's exactly what happened last night. I was dying.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#72Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 3:18pm

Did he seem a bit under the weather to anybody else? I was surprised to find most of the keys were lowered. That, and he seemed to be adjusting the melodies to more comfortable ranges as well. Perhaps these were just artistic choices.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#73Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 4:35pm

Fun piece from Vanity Fair! A couple of minor spoilers. It reveals he was, indeed, sick with a bad cold lately.

Sketches from Hedwig and the Angry Inch
BY MICHAEL ARTHUR
This week John Cameron Mitchell, the author and original performer of Hedwig and the Angry Inch begins his run in the Broadway revival about the punk rocker with a botched sex-change operation—for which Neil Patrick Harris won a Tony award in 2014. Artist Michael Arthur has spent the last week and a half in rehearsals, drawing and chronicling Mitchell’s return to the role that he was born to play.

Sketches from Hedwig Updated On: 1/22/15 at 04:35 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#74Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 1/22/15 at 4:59pm

Yikes. If last night was him under the weather, I can't wait to see what he's like once he's feeling better...