pixeltracker

Hamilton Cancellation Line- Page 167

Hamilton Cancellation Line

stormyweather2
#4150Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:08pm

This weekend I was in NYC for a couple of days in order to run the half marathon this past Sunday. I’m from NC, and although (like most of us here) I know every single word to the soundtrack, I had yet to actually see the show. The one day of my trip where it worked out for me to try the cancellation line was Friday 3/17 (also St. Patrick’s Day). Fair warning, this post is gonna be long; the one quality I share with A.Ham is that I have no ability whatsoever to be concise. Hamilton Cancellation Line

I got there at 6am (in 26-degree weather), hopefully thinking that I might be first -- and was a little disappointed to discover that there were no fewer than SIX professional line-sitters already there, who had all arrived between 4 and 5 AM. However, that crew ultimately turned out to be super friendly; chatting with them made the hours go by MUCH faster. (They were also exceptionally well-prepared for the cold, so making friends with them was a good idea -- one of them lent me his sleeping bag for a little while when he went to get something to eat, which was definitely the most comfortable chunk of time I spent in the line!)

The six line-sitters needed a total of 9 tickets, though they warned me it might be as many as 12 if we were made to wait until the last minute prior to curtain (because then they’d have to go in as their clients’ plus-ones). I was the first non-line-sitter, so I was #10 if all went well. Another girl showed up at 6:30am and got in line behind me (#11). There was a long gap after that. Another woman came by around 9:45 and asked us about SRO tickets; we of course had no idea, so she went into the box office at 10 when they opened, then left shortly thereafter without coming back to the line, so nobody found out what was said.

The six line-sitters had one another’s backs, of course, and they were constantly swapping in and out of line to go get food and so forth, so I was grateful for the girl behind me, so that I had a ‘buddy’ to swap with also. The weather was EXTREMELY cold (and we were under the overhang, so no sunshine) and despite long down coats, gloves, hats, scarves, two pairs of socks, and foot warmers, we literally could not feel our feet for most of the ten hours we waited there. For the first hour or so until the sun came up, I really questioned whether I could stick it out all day long, because I was already going through periods of violent, uncontrollable, teeth-chattering shivers. Hot coffee proved to be the best antidote -- I think I went to Starbucks three separate times in those ten hours. Hamilton Cancellation Line The Marriott Marquis is right next door (with a Starbucks on the ground level) and they are very tolerant of the cancellation line folks' comings and goings as long as you're not obnoxious about it. There was some kind of medical conference happening on this particular day, so the third-floor bathroom doors were propped open, which was convenient.

A mom and her grown daughter showed up and joined the line around 10:30am (they had gotten there at 4pm the previous day, been #15-16 in line, and had not gotten in, so they were a little put out to realize that they were still numbers 12 and 13 for tickets even now -- but they ultimately did stick around after debating about it for the better part of an hour). Then another super nice mom and her young son got there around 11-11:30. The little boy was a big fan and had begged his mom to “just walk by the theater!” They were not dressed for a long wait in the freezing cold, and after talking with all of us and doing some mental math, they actually decided to hire the line-sitters for the following day rather than wait in line with us. (I bet their company gets a ton of business that way!)

Someone came out and offered premium tickets around noon or 1pm, which nobody took. Then the line started to get longer in the early afternoon; I’d estimate that there were 16-18 people there by the time the line-sitters were called in, which was around 3pm. They all got their tickets -- all second-row unclaimed lottery tickets; the online lottery had closed at 1pm, and the window to claim the tickets therefore ended at 2pm, which I think is why the action started around 3.

The rest of the line (about a dozen of us) got excited when the line-sitters’ tickets were passed out; we were all on our feet after that, alert for any sort of continued action in the lobby. But once they left, there was a lull. I had overheard one of the line-sitters (on the phone to his boss) say that when he was inside, he had heard the ticket seller say they were releasing 10 lottery seats, but the long lag after the line-sitters’ departure made me think he must’ve gotten it wrong. We all therefore decided that that was probably it for the unclaimed lottery seats and the rest would probably be true ‘cancellation’ seats, the ones in the general vicinity of rows 6-10 that they usually give out just a few minutes before curtain. Yet somehow none of us sat back down. Four more hours felt like nothing compared to what we’d already endured -- heck, the temperature had risen to 35 whole degrees; we were feeling great! Hamilton Cancellation Line

Another hour ticked by. There was a guy in an A.Ham baseball cap pacing the lobby and occasionally coming outside or looking out at us, so when he opened the door to let somebody out, I approached him, put on my best smile, and said, “I’m in no rush, I’m happy to stand here all the way til curtain -- but since I’m all by myself, I just wanted to ask whether I have time to run next door to the bathroom, or whether you think there’s going to be any more action in the next ten minutes?” I was doing this for two reasons: first because I really did have to pee, and second because I wanted him to know that I was a single ticket, not a pair -- just in case there really was a tenth seat left in that second row. He smiled and said he would let the box office know that he had let me go to the restroom. I made it back in record time, caught his eye through the glass, and gave him a thumbs-up. Not even three minutes later, he came back out the door and said, “You just need one?”

I breathlessly said, “Yes.” (OHMYGOD OHMYGOD)

“And YOU just need one?” he asked the girl behind me. When she also said yes, he said “Okay”... and held the door open so we could come inside!

I literally danced into the lobby, punching the air and chanting “YES, YES, YES!” (It was either that or burst into tears!) And then, wonder of wonders, I was handed a SECOND-ROW TICKET -- the tenth and final unclaimed lottery seat (the girl behind me was inexplicably given a seat in the lower mezzanine). Not only was I FINALLY going to see Hamilton, but this was EXACTLY where I had hoped to sit. I truly think I would have kissed the ticket-seller if there hadn’t been glass between us!

Ultimately, I think close to 20 tickets must have been given out; the last people in line at 4:15pm (when I got my ticket and left) were a mom and 16yo daughter from Texas, both celebrating their birthdays that weekend, who literally came straight from the plane to the theater, arrived around 4pm, and (happily) managed to get tickets! Compared to everyone else’s arrival times, it would have been easy for me to regret getting there so early -- I definitely still would have gotten in if I had arrived a lot later -- but I actually feel really validated, because I got exactly the seat I wanted, and the way the chips fell on this particular day, I wouldn’t have gotten that seat if I had arrived even just 30 minutes later than I did.

In conclusion: WORTH EVERY SINGLE MINUTE. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Although the temperature was pretty miserable (which might be part of why the line wasn’t as busy on Friday as it sounds like it was on Saturday), it still really did not feel like ten hours (and there was some exceptionally interesting people-watching that day, it being St. Patrick’s Day and all -- LOL). I read a few chapters of a book when I first arrived, but after that, I honestly spent most of the time talking to others in line! The waiting in and of itself was part of the experience, and the whole day was one that I’ll never forget. When the show finally started, I was in tears for the first ten minutes -- I can’t describe how it felt to actually SEE the faces, gestures, and staging that I had imagined in my head so many times! Some of it fit what I had envisioned; a lot of it didn’t, but that was precisely where the magic was.

I’ll spare you all the details of the show and the stagedoor (I’m going to write a separate blog post about all that; it doesn’t really belong in this thread) -- but one other happy surprise was that Andrew Chappelle (one of the swings, whom I follow on Instagram) just happened to be on as Lafayette/Jefferson! He was absolutely spectacular; I feel so lucky to have seen him.

THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone on this thread who has shared so much helpful information! I’ve been lurking here for months now, and your willingness to share your line experiences in such detail is precisely the reason why my own was so wonderful!!! <3

Lappina
#4151Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 1:05am

So I just did the cancellation line on Tuesday March 21st. I got in line at 1pm and I was 10th in line but needed the 11th ticket because there was a single in line that needed two tickets. It was radio silence for a while until they came out and offered premium tickets twice after 2:30 or so and then nothing else until Officer Sullivan (so nice!!!) came on duty around 5:30 or so. Eventually around 6:15 they started calling people for tickets. They gave out (2 pairs) then a single, another single, then nothing until 6:55. Then 4 tickets together, and at 7:00 they came out with 1 ticket (me, 7th row orchestra dead centre for $195) and 1 standing room. And the I found they gave out at least another 3 standing room tickets (people I met during the line waiting). 

So worth standing in line for 6 hours!!! The show went by so fast and I was so satisfied!! It helped that I was 6 seats away from Matt Damon!! 

packmunkey
#4152Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:28am

My wife and I are coming up to NYC for a few days and we are planning on sitting the line on Tuesday 3/28. Looks like it might rain! I have seen conflicting statements... is the first part of the line covered? If not anyone have suggestions on keeping dry? Seems like some folks have been getting tickets as early as 5ish on Tuesdays but the last comment was very last minute!

Thanks!!

Lappina
#4153Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:48am

packmunkey said: "My wife and I are coming up to NYC for a few days and we are planning on sitting the line on Tuesday 3/28. Looks like it might rain! I have seen conflicting statements... is the first part of the line covered? If not anyone have suggestions on keeping dry? Seems like some folks have been getting tickets as early as 5ish on Tuesdays but the last comment was very last minute!

Thanks!!
"

It was definitely last minute yesterday!! I was expecting the same thing, tickets to start being handed out around 5 or so by that didn't happen for us. It was actually no updates until a bit later. But in response to your last question, yes, the beginning part of the line is covered and there are steps you can sit on, around 6:00 though, they move the cancellation line back by the stage door, pictured in a previous comment at the top of page 167 which isn't covered. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#4154Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 10:30am

packmunkey said: "My wife and I are coming up to NYC for a few days and we are planning on sitting the line on Tuesday 3/28. Looks like it might rain! I have seen conflicting statements... is the first part of the line covered? If not anyone have suggestions on keeping dry? Seems like some folks have been getting tickets as early as 5ish on Tuesdays but the last comment was very last minute!

Thanks!!
"

There's an awning where the cancellation line starts that covers about the first 15 people in line.  I was #8 in line when I did this last Fall and stood in the right in the middle protected from the sun.  Hope this helps.

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#4155Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 5:17pm

Hamilton Cancellation Linepackmunkey said: "My wife and I are coming up to NYC for a few days and we are planning on sitting the line on Tuesday 3/28. Looks like it might rain! I have seen conflicting statements... is the first part of the line covered? If not anyone have suggestions on keeping dry? Seems like some folks have been getting tickets as early as 5ish on Tuesdays but the last comment was very last minute!

Thanks!!

"

Updated On: 3/22/17 at 05:17 PM

Ahmy
#4156Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/22/17 at 6:24pm

stormyweather2-

Ultimately, I think close to 20 tickets must have been given out; the last people in line at 4:15pm (when I got my ticket and left) were a mom and 16yo daughter from Texas, both celebrating their birthdays that weekend, who literally came straight from the plane to the theater, arrived around 4pm, and (happily) managed to get tickets! Compared to everyone else’s arrival times, it would have been easy for me to regret getting there so early -- I definitely still would have gotten in if I had arrived a lot later -- but I actually feel really validated, because I got exactly the seat I wanted, and the way the chips fell on this particular day, I wouldn’t have gotten that seat if I had arrived even just 30 minutes later than I did.

In conclusion: WORTH EVERY SINGLE MINUTE. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Although the temperature was pretty miserable (which might be part of why the line wasn’t as busy on Friday as it sounds like it was on Saturday), it still really did not feel like ten hours (and there was some exceptionally interesting people-watching that day, it being St. Patrick’s Day and all -- LOL). I read a few chapters of a book when I first arrived, but after that, I honestly spent most of the time talking to others in line! The waiting in and of itself was part of the experience, and the whole day was one that I’ll never forget. When the show finally started, I was in tears for the first ten minutes -- I can’t describe how it felt to actually SEE the faces, gestures, and staging that I had imagined in my head so many times! Some of it fit what I had envisioned; a lot of it didn’t, but that was precisely where the magic was.

"

(Cut some of your post)

I'm the one who was behind you. Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed that the seat was in the front mezzanine, but it was still a ticket to the show so I can't complain too much. It ended up being a really good spot, as I could see everything without having to constantly look up. And the usher I had a conversation with before the show said it was a good seat, so that was good to hear. 

It was neat to see the show this time, because the only people who were on the last time I saw it were Alysha, Andrew, and Gerald. Alysha and Andrew were in different tracks, but I'm pretty sure Gerald was doing the same one. there were some differences, but overall pretty similar to the original cast. 

Like you, I was excited to see Andrew as Lagayette/Jefferson. I was also happy to get a ticket because it meant not needing to go back and do it again, because it was cold. That, and it worked out to be $265 Canadian... it was pretty fun though.

I'm here until next Wednesday, and I'm tempted to do it again. Just gotta keep looking at the exchange rate to deter myself 

Adi2
#4157Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/23/17 at 3:00am

Hi,

We are visiting New York next week and would like to see Hamilton on Saturday 1st April.
Looking for someone who is going to be in the cancellation line that day for either the matinee or evening show.

I would be happy to pay for one of your tickets, if you were willing to help me purchase 2 standard tickets. (We can work out the finer details between ourselves).

Feel free to PM if interested.

Thanks!

littlegrrrl
#4158Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:32am

Does anyone have a recommendation based on experience for what time to show up to the cancellation line for a Sunday 3 PM show? We're hoping to try for this Sunday and it's not supposed to be so warm. We were thinking 6 or 7 AM. Might that be too late? Thanks in advance!

Rainyday3
#4159Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:02pm

littlegrrrl said: "Does anyone have a recommendation based on experience for what time to show up to the cancellation line for a Sunday 3 PM show? We're hoping to try for this Sunday and it's not supposed to be so warm. We were thinking 6 or 7 AM. Might that be too late? Thanks in advance"

I've never waited on a Sunday, but it is my understanding that on weekends and matinee days the line tends to start earlier.  If there are line sitters that day, you won't be first.  If there aren't, then you'll have a chance.  It's honestly hard to tell, though.  Is it still spring break for many schools?  That could be a factor  When I waited on a Tuesday, I got there around 5:45.  I was third behind two line sitters.   Another person didn't join the line for another couple of hours.  So I guess I could have gotten there later and been okay, but I got my tickets early and was able to go back to the hotel and shower.  People who arrived later on my day got tickets, but not till the last minute. 

Good luck!  It's totally worth it.  I never thought I could endure sitting outside in the cold for that many hours, but you end up meeting a lot of ice people and the time goes by quicker than you'd imagine.  Bring something to sit on, even if it's a small blanket or towel.  That cement gets cold. 

Browneyes142
#4160Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:13pm

Good luck! It's totally worth it. I never thought I could endure sitting outside in the cold for that many hours, but you end up meeting a lot of ice people and the time goes by quicker than you'd imagine. Bring something to sit on, even if it's a small blanket or towel. That cement gets cold.

"Ice people", a Freudian slip perhaps? Hamilton Cancellation Line

I picture beautiful ice sculptures of the people in line frozen in place like a fairy tale. :)

Jeff Tseng
#4161Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:36am

Hello all. First time poster here :) If someone could help me answer a couple questions that would be great! 
I want to wait in line for two tickets, for myself and the wife. I'm aiming for a matinee and will probably start lining up around 5-6am. For a Wednesday matinee, is that enough time from your experiences?

Also, does my wife have to stay in line all the time for her to use the ticket? Or can she join me in the line around 9 or 10 am in the morning? 

I know the exact time tickets are released varies each day (or does it?), but if I'm lucky to get them some time before the show starts, can I go take a rest or a quick nap at the hotel or do I have to go straight inside the theatre?

With various rule changes it is a bit confusing. I appreciate all your help and congrats to those who got to see it!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#4162Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:40am

Jeff Tseng said: "Also, does my wife have to stay in line all the time for her to use the ticket? Or can she join me in the line around 9 or 10 am in the morning? "

Unless that line has really gotten crazy, you can always buy two tickets without the other person being there. The issue is typically if you want more than two and she just pops in later in the day, thus not really waiting in line, but skipping ahead of a bunch of people. But for just two, she can not show up until show time, or to trade shifts with you, AFAIK.

Ortensiah
#4163Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:47am

From what I've been reading on here, people who were lucky enough to get their tickets some time before the show could just leave and return when the theater normally starts letting people in. I believe the rule for going straight into the theater is only for tickets that are released just before the curtain, probably because at that point they really need everyone seated so they can start the show (when I did the line, I was able to buy my ticket literally a minute before the show was supposed to start). That's why (as far as I can tell), for the professional line sitters, if the tickets they get for you are released too close to beginning of the show, they "have to" go in and see the show with you. 

littlegrrrl
#4164Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/28/17 at 9:31am

Just wanted to share our experience with the cancellation line for the 3 PM Sunday matinee on 3/26. My daughter and I already had tickets for this show but we were hoping to score 2 more so that my husband and son could join as well. My husband got to the theater a little before 7 AM and he was the first one in line. We were shocked. A 2nd person arrived shortly thereafter. By close to 9, there were about 5 people in line and it just grew from then on.

At a little after 12, right after the box office opened, someone came out and offered premium tickets for $845 (!) which most everyone turned down, except for someone at the back of the line who said "You only live once!" Everyone else just took their chances. I arrived with the kids around 2:00 and still no change and no further offers, although the line had been moved back by the stage door which was actually cool because we could see all of the cast members as they entered (some kids pulled them aside for autographs and photos even though they seemed a little rush but most obliged). I went to pick up my tickets at the box office and asked if there would be any tickets for the cancellation line and the man said, coyly, "We might have a few...". Finally, at about 2:40, my husband was called in to the box office and was able to buy 2 tickets at $199 each which were in Center Orchestra Row J. Fantastic seats. I'm not sure how many other people in total got tickets but we did see about 7-10 other people from the line, all of which seemed to be in the orchestra as well, although one pair looked to be far side orchestra.

Since I wasn't the one standing outside, I can't really comment on the wait but my husband said it was cold and tiring but not terrible. And he did say that everyone in line was very friendly and held each other's places while they went for bathroom breaks, food, etc. I can say that the show was everything it is hyped up to be and was truly incredible and I'm so glad that the whole family got to experience it (I was having a bit of a "Sophie's Choice" crisis since we only had 2 tickets to start!). I think in the end, everyone felt it was well worth the wait. :)

gatorgirl2
#4165Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:11am

Hey all, I'm going to be in NYC April 21st and wanted to do cancellation line that day. 

I thought I had someone to wait for me but they haven't responded to any of my messages so I thought I would try again.

Anyone willing to wait in line for me on Friday April 21st in exchange for a ticket? I won't get to the city till one and its my only day to see it. 

kcapuani
#4166Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:06am

I've read several of the posts on this thread but can't figure out how the professional line sitters are allowed to buy tickets for their customers. Isn't Hamilton's official policy to not allow line swapping? I'm planning ahead for a June visit to NYC... Hoping for a Saturday matinee and don't want to resort to paying a line sitter.

littlegrrrl
#4167Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:25pm

I was wondering the same thing when my husband was doing the cancellation line last week but he said while he didn't see any paid line sitters, there was no issue with swapping in and out as several couples did that to give each other breaks, plus everyone was great about holding spaces in line to allow each other to use the bathroom, get food, etc. 

Juan Perez2 Profile Photo
Juan Perez2
#4168Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:56pm

gatorgirl2 said: "Hey all, I'm going to be in NYC April 21st and wanted to do cancellation line that day. 

I thought I had someone to wait for me but they haven't responded to any of my messages so I thought I would try again.

Anyone willing to wait in line for me on Friday April 21st in exchange for a ticket? I won't get to the city till one and its my only day to see it. 

Sent you a PM!

"

muffie80
#4169Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:04pm

I am going to be in NYC next weekend and I am looking for someone to line sit for me. Either Saturday matinee or Sunday. Please PM me. Thanks!

spikethebunny Profile Photo
spikethebunny
#4170Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:05pm

kcapuani said: "I've read several of the posts on this thread but can't figure out how the professional line sitters are allowed to buy tickets for their customers. Isn't Hamilton's official policy to not allow line swapping? I'm planning ahead for a June visit to NYC... Hoping for a Saturday matinee and don't want to resort to paying a line sitter.

"

There were at least six line sitters in front of me when I got there at 5am on the 18th, as well as a few other people. There doesn't seem to be any issue with them buying tickets for their clients. They didn't swap with anyone and you are given the tickets earlier now (if you're near the front) and don't have to go right in. The line sitters in front of me got their tickets around 12:30 for the 2pm show, then left to meet their clients. I got mine around 1pm and had time to go back to my hotel and freshen up before the show. 

And as someone else mentioned, people did swap in and out of line with no issues and let each other go for bathroom breaks, food, etc. I think as long as the line is courteous and quiet, (as mine was--everyone was awesome) they take no issues with swapping out.

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:05 PM

#4171Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:42pm

Stopped by the cancellation line after Hello Dolly Matinee yesterday.

There were only 12 people in line at about 5:30. I was incredibly lucky got the last seat. Row G orchestra center. 

Wow, just wow..it happened, my first attempt. Now, I must see it again!! 

elili
#4172Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:50pm

is it possible to get a line sitter if we need 4 tickets?

Juan Perez2 Profile Photo
Juan Perez2
#4173Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:56pm

elili said: "is it possible to get a line sitter if we need 4 tickets?

"

You would probably need to hire two sitters, since you're only allowed two tickets per person.

casedilla2
#4174Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 3/30/17 at 6:07pm

Hi there! If anyone is looking to get 1 or 2 tickets for nearly any upcoming show, I would be happy to do so in exchange for you helping pay for my ticket (and the ticket of the friend waiting with me, if you need 2 tickets). I would particularly like to go this weekend (4/1 & 4/2) and/or next Sunday (4/9), but I'm open to any dates. I have done the cancellation line many times and have always been successful. PM me if interested - thanks!