Tony Host 2015

littlebro2
#50Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:43am

CBS broadcasts The Late Late Show, so they would probably let him take a week off and would use the show to help gain exposure for him with theatre crowds. It would be a smart move but would be a bit difficult, as his show is based in Los Angeles.

2014- Cripple of Inishmaan, Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bullets Over Broadway

evic
#51Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:37am

Just a reply to those who are suggesting performers currently performing in a show on Broadway- do you want to kill them?  Doing their shows, rehearsing the Tony show, and a dress rehearsal the morning of the ceremony...pretty impossible unless the producers give them permission to miss some shows.

evic
#52Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:38am

I am an idiot- I suggested Chita......oops.  But the fantasy of her hosting got to me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#53Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:43am

Sean Hayes did it in 2010.

Liza's Headband
#54Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:46am

littlebro - Being the host and a producer of a nightly talk show is extremely demanding and taxing. Being the host (and potential producer) of a major awards telecast is also extremely demanding and taxing. Corden would need much more than just a week off to handle both duties. While it makes sense from a PR angle, it's probably not feasible. We are talking multiple weeks of rehearsals & preparations for the Tony Awards host. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:17am

While I agree with most of what you said, I doubt a first time host would be given producer duties, at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#56Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:38pm

Seeing as James holds tremendous stock at CBS, never say "never." It's fairly typical for the host to be given a Producer's credit as he/she is actively involved in the development of their material; regardless of their background (cultural icon, actor, model, singer, comedian, etc.) 

Caesar2
#57Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:00pm

What is really needed is someone who loves Broadway and has shown this by numerous events promoting Broadway.

And, that person is no other than Rosie O'Donnell.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#58Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:03pm

Rosie O'Donnell is not presently culturally relevant enough to headline an awards show. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jonwo
#59Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 2:27pm

I think if Corden gets it, they'll likely just have The Late Late Show taped in NY since Letterman finishes in May and the Ed Sullivan will be vacant for a while before it is due to be refurbished in time for Colbert starting in September.

i wouldn't be surprised if it's him or Colbert.

Liza's Headband
#60Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 3:49pm

They will begin the refurbishment immediately following Letterman's finale, so that option is not really feasible. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#61Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 3:53pm

Listen to Liza, she is a genius

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Jonwo
#62Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:03pm

"They will begin the refurbishment immediately following Letterman's finale, so that option is not really feasible. "

How long will the refurb take? I'm guessing Colbert will want to do a test run at the Ed Sullivan I guess it'll done by August at the latest. If the Ed Sullivan is unavailable then surely there is studio space in NY that could be used. 

Liza's Headband
#63Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:17pm

late May / early June to early August. 

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#64Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:01pm

If it were not for the fact that the Tony broadcast is the same day as the last performance of "it's Only A Play", I would have said that Nathan Lane would be a good choice.  

If they could get Whoopie, it would be a home run..

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

decast
#65Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/7/15 at 7:04am

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Corden is hosting the CFDA Awards this year which are June 1st in New York, that's the week of the Tonys, yes? It's highly unlikely he'd do both but he will be in the city that week. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#66Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:13am

During a recent Periscope Vlog, Paul Wontorek claims that he and his staff at Broadway.com have already figured out who's gonna be hosting, it just hasn't been confirmed yet.
@16:15

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#67Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 1:47pm

hmmm. Stephen Colbert and Jim Parsons seem like the two most viable possibilities. I wish they said who gave Broadway.com the info, since that may point towards who it is. Parsons could also plug his show opening in the summer which makes me think its going to be him. 

Sunny11
#68Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 2:08pm

As a wild guess, what about Jane Lynch? She will be a co-lead for a new CBS show this fall. She recently hosted the Emmys and won a hosting Emmy last year for Hollywood Games Night and performed at the Tonys as Miss Hannigan in Annie. 

Liza's Headband
#69Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 3:26pm

Since GLEE's popularity has sharply declined over the last couple of years, I highly doubt they would go for Jane. She is not a huge name who will attract viewers. Jim Parsons or Stephen Colbert are smart guesses and would both be respectable choices. 

Liza's Headband
#70Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 3:26pm

Since GLEE's popularity has sharply declined over the last couple of years, I highly doubt they would go for Jane. She is not a huge name who will attract viewers. Jim Parsons or Stephen Colbert are smart guesses and would both be respectable choices. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#71Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 4:59pm

I thought it might be good to have David Hyde Pierce and Kelsey Grammer co- host. They both can be funny and dignified when necessary. David Hyde Pierce is Tony award winner and Kelsey Grammer is in "Finding Neverland" so they are "Broadway" people. Might be good TV to has a "Frasier" reunion - lol.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#72Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/8/15 at 7:11pm

Short or Chita

Poster Emeritus

tombomb31
#73Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:11am

What about Josh Gad? He's a Broadway guy, and is on a very fast rise to being a pretty big star. Not to mention that he's hilarious. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#74Tony Host 2015
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:14am

I saw Jim Parsons was mentioned.  It think it would be a smart move for CBS because he's one of their biggest stars cause of Big Bang Theory, and it's good promotion for An Act of God.  Same reason Neil hosted; HIMYM was huge and CBS already had a built-in fan base.