The Visit Previews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#100The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 1:10am

For those who saw it today. Is Doyle still using the applause break at the end of YELLOW SHOES? There wasn't one in Williamstown, and the number certainly calls for applause, but it felt a little awkward at the first preview.

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 01:10 AM

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#101The Visit Previews**spoiler alert
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:06am

ljay889:
What are your thoughts on the ending/meaning/staging of it:
I had a discussion with someone that thinks Her change to white hair and black dress - was her leaving the artifice/ as no longer needed. But my thoughts are:
That would be the literal interpretation of the scene. I think there is symbolism involved also/- not sure. So she removes all the artifice and now goes to Capri with her love. - I'm familiar with the song... But a literal interpretation doesn't fully work as she is no longer using the cane. The moment you see her come out with white hair and dressed in black - she is no longer using the cane...it's been presented like this in all productions of this musical... I think there is more to it...but not effectively staged. That's the one issue I've always had with the show.

matineeidol2591
#102The Visit Previews**spoiler alert
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:25am

I caught the show last night. I went in with very high expectations- I was looking forward to 'The Visit' more than any other show this season. The evening unfortunately left me cold.

I felt that the night lulled along, and that nothing really elevated the show to dramatic heights. The score could have very well been the highlight, but it is second rate Kander and Ebb. The book lacks dramatic tension and simply plods. For the first time in a long while I actually pulled out my program to see if the show was almost over. On a plus side, the set and lighting design are striking.

It was thrilling seeing Chita live, but as others have said on this board, I don't quite understand the hype about her performance. Jason Danieley was a standout.

Really, really wish I would have enjoyed this show more. I am very curious to see how this will be received after opening.

ljay- I wish I could recall if there was an applause break after Yellow Shoes, but I simply don't remember.

Glitter
#103The Visit Previews**spoiler alert
Posted: 3/29/15 at 2:17pm

I believe exiting without the cane is new to the production under Doyle. At Signature and at Goodman, she exited with it.

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#104The Visit Previews**spoiler alert
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:22pm

glitter:
at the signature she didn't use the cane either after he hair/dress change...
i saw it a couple of times there and that always caught my attention.

would love to know the reasoning behind that decision.

JerseyBoy25
#105The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:37pm

I have an idea. So I've seen The Visit and The King and I. I think that Kelli and Chita give excellent performances in both, and both would be equally worthy of a Tony in June. So instead of nominating Chita for a Tony, give her a special Tony Award instead, for her long illustrious career that is coming to an end with this show. And then give Kelli the best actress trophy. Everyone wins, and two people who are giving, in my honest opinion, wonderful performances both receive their just reward.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#106The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:53pm

"Just saw the commercial with the new voiceover on ABC.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCJHrptN6A"

That's a terrific advertisement. But I HATE the tagline. The Best Revenge is Revenge? Huh?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#107The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:56pm

"Living well is the best revenge" is a saying, and since Claire has clearly been living very well, the tagline suggests that saying doesn't quite cut it.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Glitter
#108The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:01pm

AAO26 I just double-checked the video from Signature right now and she clearly has a cane. Maybe it changed during previews?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#109The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:40pm

Someone please post a song list

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#110The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:52pm

And arbitrarily make her ineligible? Ridiculous. You don't give someone a lifetime award to get them out of the running for another.

A day later, I wanted to expound on my thoughts having seen Saturday's matinee.

I adored the set and that it greets you upon entering the theater. Certainly sets the tone. The lighting was stunning and added another layer of depth to the setting and tone. I also was impressed by the costumes, so very striking.

The only technical weak point, IMO, was the sound. The mics were not balanced well at all. Some characters were too loud, others needed more power.

I loved the presence of both the casket as well as the spirit of the young lovers. Both were constant reminders of the past AND the future. I did find the blocking to be a bit redundant, even though I think I understand WHY, I did want a bit more variety.

As to the music, I am no expert to orchestrations or composition. I enjoyed the score, but am unsure if I'm interested in a cast recording. I do love me some Kander and Ebb, but this wasn't quite in the same clubhouse

But as to the book and overall production, I was fully enveloped within the world created. I was intrigued, surprised and ultimately satisfied. I found many of the performances strong, particularly that of Daniely and Rivera and the two lovers. I thought that Rees had lots of moments, but they weren't all connected.

I can't say I fell in love with The Visit, but I enjoyed it immensely. And am wondering if I can trim the play into a 40 minute playable story. While I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, I will to most of my like-minded theater friends.

Funny overheard conversation: a middle aged couple was loudly expressing their dislike of the show. Then the man turned to his wife (?) and said, "So, what do you want for a souvenir?" Who wants a souvenir of something they didn't enjoy??

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#111The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:02pm

I've listened to some recordings of the score from previous venues with Rivera and I like what I've heard. It seems to be different from what Kander and Ebb usually write. I think there's a very slim chance that there won't be a cast recording. I'm sure they'll want to preserve the score with Chita Rivera.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#112The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 7:58pm

Saw the show today- Chita was perfection and just plain wonderful. The show overall was rather boring for me- it kinda started at one speed and kept that for the Act. It was interesting how the feel of the show changed whenever Chita wasen’t on stage. The show looks beautiful and the set is awesome- it felt like a painting come to life. Its funny- Some guy actually fell asleep behind us and started snoring loudly until somebody woke him back up. Nathan Lane was at the show tonight.

We did the rush to try and get a ticket for my mom- There was only like three people in front of us for rush and we were actually able to get a seat right next to me, so we got to sit together. The Rush only costs $30- Can't beat that!

Stage door- everyone came out and signed. Roger Rees seemed out of it at the stage door, maybe a little drunk. Chita took a while to come out- about 2 hours, but was extremely kind and thankful to everyone who waited. It was interesting- there were two kinds of stage door people there- polite and not soo polite. One couple had lots of stuff for Chita to sign and actually told her where on the photo to sign and what pen to use. They also chased the actors down the line asking them all kinds of questions, but not once did they say thank for anything or the actors time. The rest of the people there were nice and respectful.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 3/29/15 at 07:58 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#113The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:10pm

Funny Story- During the wait, people kept coming up to us asking who we were waiting on, after telling 6 different people who was coming out, I started saying that Beyonce was inside- and one lady actually believed me and waited for a while. One lady came up and asked who we were waiting on and when we said Chita Rivera, she replied “What’s a Chita Rivera, Is that a person?”

Darreyl with an L!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:59pm

Here's some great interviews with the cast and creators from the press day. It does include *SPOILERS.*

http://www.theatermania.com/video/after-more-than-a-decade-chita-rivera-brings-kande_757.html

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#115The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:39am

Really wanted to like this show but I left feeling not much of anything. Set is nice-lighting is good too. Some nice music. But I just felt it started on one note and stayed there-no arc. No tension between the two leads-which seems to be of utmost importance to the storyline.
I wish them well. Great that it found it's way to Broadway after so many years.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#116The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 11:03am

What a strange little show. It's a (very black) operetta turned on its head completely. Chita is a presence, boy! She just has to lift her cane, or tilt her head, or gaze into the audience and she has us mesmerized. The rest of the cast is very good, and the girl who plays Young Claire is gorgeous. As nice as it was for the producers to let the press (and public) see that sneak preview of "Love and Love Alone" in recent days, it's really the highlight of the show, so I'm sorry they spoiled the surprise.

I can't see this lasting past Labor Day-- less if Chita doesn't win a Tony. It's very bizarre, and while it left me thinking for the rest of the evening about what I just saw (which is a plus for me), I know that the current dunces that go to Broadway musicals don't want to think and definitely don't want bizarre. But I'm glad New York is seeing it.

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#117The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 11:16am

Fundamentally given the team behind it, if this had a ready audience it would probably not have taken 14 years to get it fully up-and-running.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#118The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 11:20am

I think this would have had an audience thirty years ago. It's no stranger than something like FOLLIES or any of the Prince-Sondheim shows, and those ran, even if they didn't make money.

But unfortunately, most audiences don't go to the theater to think or have an experience anymore. Unless that experience includes Pinot Grigio in sippy cups.

Updated On: 3/30/15 at 11:20 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#119The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:08pm

I saw it over the weekend and personally, when it ended my jaw was on the ground. I was absolutely blown away with what I had seen, it's probably the best thing I've seen so far this year. The score is something that I know once I have the cast recording will grow on me, much like SCOTTSBORO BOYS did but it really impressed me hearing it live.

I wish all theater could be as thought provoking and as gorgeous as this.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#120The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:14pm

when it ended my jaw was on the ground.

That's how I get every time I see it. Absolutely chilling. it leaves me with the feelings and thoughts that I often go to the theater trying to find.

But unfortunately, most audiences don't go to the theater to think or have an experience anymore. Unless that experience includes Pinot Grigio in sippy cups.

Sad, but oh so true.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#121The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:25pm

I can't wait for a cast album, too. The last duet in the forest was gorgeous, and warrants repeated listenings.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#122The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:10pm

@ EthelMae -I agree. No highs and lows, just one long note. Which made it drag. This is certainly not a show for the masses at all.

Darreyl with an L!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#123The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:13pm

When it was over, I would have sworn it had only been on for 45 minutes, it flew by for me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#124The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:17pm

Same thing for me, Jordan. But I've said from the start that this definitely won't be a show for everyone, so I respect that some aren't as taken with it. Also, a little surprised that After Eight hasn't commented on it, given that he usually sees early previews. The Visit Previews