Fun Home Previews

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#425Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:16pm

Yeah I don't think Gentlemen's Guide was worthy of all that. But eh. 

Tesori didn't win for Caroline or Change? Weird.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#426Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:33pm

Tesori won a Drama Desk for Caroline, or Change, but she's been nominated four times for the Tony and hasn't won.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#427Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:50pm

"Saw the show tonight. There's nothing to say that hasn't already been said except to say it's just stupid good. Just like really really stupid good. It's breathtaking. I loved it downtown and blubbered like a baby next to Tesori in the back row. But here, I don't know. It's just become such a beautiful piece. I loved how it was all designed and how Gold used the floor and the space. It was just incredible. I wish we could collectively give everyone an award. I'm not sure who I'd single out for Lead or Supporting. I just thought they were all brilliant in their own moments. The way "Telephone Wire" is staged is incredible. The reveal of the house when Allison comes back home is incredible. I'm just in love. It inspires me. It makes me so excited to be alive! And it makes me excited to see more theater, etc. I just really can't enough good things. Go see it. I can't imagine it won't win every award possible."

Had to repeat your post because it is exactly how I felt, how I feel, I need to be in that theater again, several times ...amazing.

Politically I don't see them nominating multiple players from the same show for the same category but how could they not? How could this not get nominated in every category?  Even the set, while not flashy amazingly serves and enhances the piece the design brings relevance back to a theater space that has not had much.

Up In One

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#428Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:10pm

Multiple performers from the same show often compete in the same categories. Just last year there were co-starring nominees in the same category from Twelfth Night, Gentlemen's Guide and Raisin in the Sun.

After Eight
#429Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:10pm

"she's been nominated four times for the Tony and hasn't won."

That'll change soon.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#430Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:41pm

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#431Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:12pm

Great and powerful performance this afternoon. It would be thrilling to see a piece like this win Best Musical. Wonderful performances. All three Allisons are absolutely sensational. Would definitely like to see it for a second time.

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#432Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:26pm

Saw this again. I am neither gay nor had a father who was gay, but this show resonates in so many other ways and has given me courage against something I've been carrying around far too long. 

I am addicted. Very addicted.

Like, "Changing My Major to Fun Home" addicted.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#433Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:34pm

^ :) cute

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

sephyr
#434Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:26am

I really like the show! Saw it on Sunday and had a wonderful time. There were several moments that really pulled at my heart and I loved the songs especially Fun Home, Changing My Major, Telephone Wires, and the last song! The staging was wonderful and the technological aspects were fascinating and seamless. It just felt really heartwarming and special. I want to see it again at some point :) Got to have a talkback with the cast and Jeanine Tesori afterwards and it was so wonderful to hear their passion for the project. Wishing the show all the best. I can't wait for the new cast album!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#435Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:31am

I'm just so passionate for this show. I want it to succeed. It deserves to be on Broadway. It's such an interesting and smart story. I can't imagine it's an easy sell. I can't imagine what they'd sing on the Today Show, but it's brilliant. It deserves to be recognized. And the fact that it lost the Pulitzer to Disgraced is....well, a disgrace.

After Eight
#436Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:25am

"It deserves to be on Broadway. "

Why? So it can be forced upon audiences --- who we have been told here --- don't want to see it?

"It's such an interesting and smart story. I can't imagine it's an easy sell."

If it's so interesting and smart, it should sell like hotcakes.

"I can't imagine what they'd sing on the Today Show, but it's brilliant."

What's so hard to imagine? If it's all so brilliant, then any of its songs should be sung on the Today Show. In fact, DESERVES to be sung. In fact, MUST be sung.  Personally, I would recommend one of  Alison's two songs. Wouldn't they just delight the Today Show's viewers?"

"It deserves to be recognized. "

I'd say it NEEDS to be recognized. For exactly what it is, that is.

"And the fact that it lost the Pulitzer to Disgraced is....well, a disgrace."

It lost lost to another critics' darling stinker, The Flick. And that that one deprived this one of that odious prize is the only good thing I can say about The Flick.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 05:25 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#437Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:43am

Man, you waste a lot of time repeating the same thing over and over to people who don't care what you say.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/16/15 at 05:43 AM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#438Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:25am

He just thinks he's witty and clever, that's all... it's kinda cute.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#439Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:25am

"You imply constantly that anyone who doesn't share your taste is stupid or following the popular crowd."

I imply nothing of the kind. You infer ---- incorrectly.

A8 (still think he/she is Sondheim having some fun) is also a comedienne.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

mpd4165
#440Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:39am

"I'm just so passionate for this show. I want it to succeed. It deserves to be on Broadway. It's such an interesting and smart story. I can't imagine it's an easy sell. I can't imagine what they'd sing on the Today Show, but it's brilliant. It deserves to be recognized. And the fact that it lost the Pulitzer to Disgraced is....well, a disgrace."

It actually lost to The Flick. It was nominated against that and The Curious Case of the Watson Intelligence.

mpd4165
#441Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:41am

""It deserves to be on Broadway. "
Why? So it can be forced upon audiences --- who we have been told here --- don't want to see it?
"It's such an interesting and smart story. I can't imagine it's an easy sell."
If it's so interesting and smart, it should sell like hotcakes.
"I can't imagine what they'd sing on the Today Show, but it's brilliant."
What's so hard to imagine? If it's all so brilliant, then any of its songs should be sung on the Today Show. In fact, DESERVES to be sung. In fact, MUST be sung.  Personally, I would recommend one of  Alison's two songs. Wouldn't they just delight the Today Show's viewers?"
"It deserves to be recognized. "
I'd say it NEEDS to be recognized. For exactly what it is, that is.
"And the fact that it lost the Pulitzer to Disgraced is....well, a disgrace."
It lost lost to another critics' darling stinker, The Flick. And that that one deprived this one of that odious prize is the only good thing I can say about The Flick."

We get it. You hate Fun Home. Thank you. Next.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#442Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:53pm

Fun Home segment on NPR right now!

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

FindingNamo
#443Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:30pm

Blubbered all over again at the song clips whilst driving.

I LOVE Alison Bechdel.  And Lisa Kron.  

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#444Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:32pm

Something about hearing Ring of Keys on the radio is magical

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#445Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:45pm

Fun Home segment on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/16/400095882/broadway-passes-the-bechdel-test-with-fun-home

@seahag2 It really is!

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#446Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:39pm

We went to the Wednesday matinee.  I love this show.  It is incredibly moving. I think I'm in the minority on one point... I prefered the staging at the Public. The material is still beautiful, but I just thought it worked better there.  Maybe it was my seat.  I was in row E I think seat 106.  The gay union door was blocking my view at times.  To me the house on Maple Avenue felt bigger and more impressive at the Public.  These are small quibbles... I love the show.  I'm so close with my dad... All of the sexuality stuff aside, it's about a father/daughter relationship.  I turn into a blubbery mess at the end.  Not just teary, but big fat ugly tears.  

A woman sitting behind me complained throughout the show.  She kept saying... Why are people laughing? It's not funny.  Then during Changing my major to Joan, she said "this is stupid". Then I turned around and gave her a look and she didn't say anything else for the duration of the show.  What a philistine. 

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#447Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:42pm

Having loved the book for years I am so excited to see this. I am Curious if there is any merch for sale? (Besides the CD and graphic novel)

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#448Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:46pm

I remember t-shirts.  They were bright yellow.  I didn't go look up close.  That's not like me.

smidge
#449Fun Home Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:25pm

Was at yesterday's matinee also. Beautiful show. I know they also have magnets and souvenir programs.