FindingNamo
#50Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 2:04am

#FirstWorldProblems

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

VintageSnarker
#51Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 4:55pm

I will throw in that an advantage to the digital lotteries vs. a "box office open" rush is that you're not exhausted seeing the show that night should you win.

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#52Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 4:59pm

Won for Fun Home tonight. Lost yesterday. Seems legit.

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#53Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 5:14pm

I wish digital lotteries had a function where you get additional entries if you've entered previously. I believe it was how they did the BOM fan lottery. Not sure if I'm expressing this correctly but it would be an added bonus for dedication.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#54Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 5:20pm

I agree KathyNYC, standing in line waiting for tickets has its charms, and can be fun. I remember waiting in SRO for Hedwig the day before Neil left. There were at least 200 people on that line. Waiting in line for 19 hours with the people in the front was one of the best rush experiences I've ever had! We were literally sleeping on the street in our sleeping bags, and sharing snacks haha and it felt AMAZING when we got tickets!! However, everything is just sooo much easier digitally especially for people who don't live in NYC.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

AngInFL79
#55Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/3/15 at 12:52pm

I welcome this new trend but what I have to ask is this, let's say one person enters multiple digital lotteries on one day and by a true stroke of luck, wins more than one? What then? 

I am sure there are those out there who will try and see.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/3/15 at 1:04pm

Then you only buy the tickets for the show you have higher on their list.  They'll still offer the other tickets to someone else.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AngInFL79
#57Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/3/15 at 1:13pm

dramamama, I thought that might be it. I just was curious as to whether they have a way for you to deny a winning ticket when offered. :) I know in person you can just say "no thanks" but for this I wasn't sure. I know, dumb question, but just wondered. :)

dramamama611
#58Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/3/15 at 1:15pm

I know for the Hamilton online, you have 1 hour to pay for your tickets, if not, they are released.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Julie Yard
#59Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:43am

Hi - I could use a little technical advise for Hamilton lottery. I've downloaded the Todaytix app, gone to the Hamilton page and get the message "no tickets available, we'll let you know" (or something like that). Is there some trick/menu/whateva I am missing? Actually I can't find how to apply to any of the lotteries. Can anyone who is entering send on a few directions?

Thanks and good luck.

Dolittle

Julie Yard
#60Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:43am

dupe post

Dolittle
Updated On: 4/8/15 at 10:43 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:49am

There is no trick. It means there are no lotto tickets available.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#62Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:50am

^^ Hamilton is apparently not running a lotto on TodayTix at this time.  If a show is grayed out, it's not available.

I won the Something Rotten lotto 2 weekends ago, but was having a personal crisis and couldn't go.  I hope that doesn't preclude me from winning again.

neonlightsxo
#63Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 10:58am

There was a lotto available for today's matinee of Hamilton, so I guess that was their one lotto for the day.

Julie Yard
#64Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:00am

Thanks Veronicamae. Your answer was helpful and informative.

Dolittle

hanabana
#65Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:17am

Even though it takes me about an hour and a half to two hours to get to Manhattan, I am not a fan of digital lotteries.  I enjoy the live interaction at the traditional lotteries, and also meeting others who are passionate about theater.  And personally, I find digital lotteries to be even harder to plan for.  If I plan on going to Manhattan to enter a traditional lottery, I plan to spend that day in the city, win or lose.  However, if I enter a digital lottery, I have to stick around waiting to hear back, and while I wait I cannot really make any other plans, as I will have to stay ready to start making the trip to Manhattan should I win.  I think it's just much easier to know for sure you need to be in the city that day instead of thinking, maybe I don't need to make the trip since I might lose.  But I do see how a digital lottery has its charms as well - easier to enter, and people can enter more often.  Personally though, I prefer the traditional lotteries, and even lining up for rush.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#66Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:59am

"There was a lotto available for today's matinee of Hamilton, so I guess that was their one lotto for the day. "

There isn't a show tonight. The 1pm matinee was the only show today, according to the calendar on the Public Theatre website.

MegInManhattan
#67Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 12:48pm

I won the Gigi lottery for the Saturday evening show this weekend! Which I thought was going to be an impossible feat considering they only pull 3 winners and I am generally very unlucky at lotteries. Seat was about 2/3 of the way back in the orchestra off to the right (but not the very end) and a great view. This show actually exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations.

I would still take in-person lotteries and rush over digital lotteries though. I like the concept that the discounted tickets could go to the most dedicated..and probably the ones who couldn't afford to see many if any shows without it.

dramamama611
#68Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 2:24pm

Most dedicated?  How do you figure that?  Just because you have TIME doesn't mean you are more dedicated than someone that works.  How do you even measure dedication as an audience member?  

How will you determine who has more financial need than another?   I get discounts as often as I can -- not because I'm cheap, but it stretches my money further.

Digital lotteries aren't feasible for everyone, but neither is sitting in line for several hours....and STILL risk not getting in.

MegInManhattan
#69Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 4:23pm

But, generally people who are less able to afford a full-price ticket would be more willing to put in the time to wake up early and rush a show they really want to see. People who are at a higher income and can buy a ticket without worrying about the cost are typically not the people who are spending their time rushing or going to lotteries. They just buy the tickets online and don't think about it. It's no coincidence that many rushes are exclusively for students - those who are usually not as financially stable, but are passionate about theatre and will spread word of mouth.

Of course, there's no way to prove dedication or measure financial ability of those doing lotteries/rush. But these are my observations, along with what people have also commented in this thread.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#70Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 5:09pm

"^^ Hamilton is apparently not running a lotto on TodayTix at this time.  If a show is grayed out, it's not available.

I won the Something Rotten lotto 2 weekends ago, but was having a personal crisis and couldn't go.  I hope that doesn't preclude me from winning again."

Update: It did nOT preclude me from winning again, as I won for the Saturday matinee; hooray!

However, I continue to be incredibly frustrated by Gigi's 2-hour entry window.  I remember/have time to enter maybe 1-2 times per week.

VintageSnarker
#71Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 5:19pm

I've been entering for On the Town, Grounded, Hamilton, and Fun Home on TodayTix. I have yet to win anything. 

delongpre
#72Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 5:58pm

I prefer the in-person lotteries. Someone else had said that if they have a plan to go to a show and are in the city, they can stand and try for the lottery or buy a rush ticket, or visit tkts, or even do todaytix last minute. Some shows, like If/Then. offered "lottery loser" tix to those who didn't win the lottery so you were basically always guaranteed a way in.

I have only won one online lottery and that was for On The Town. I was not planning on theater that day and when I won I rushed to get ready and drive in. I think there are hundreds or thousands of people who mindlessly sign in for the digital lotteries not really caring if they win that night.

I feel that the digital lottery decreases a person's chance exponentially. When I am willing to go in and risk not getting in, I can see my opponents in person and know my chances. I also know that they want in as badly as I do. With online tickets I am afraid of it becoming another type of scalping operation, with people winning and selling their tickets for increased prices. Yes, it can be done.

Does anyone have a clue about the number of lotteries tickets sold by Hamilton, Fun Home or Grounded?

PS...I also saw the lotteries as kind of a deal for NYers who continue to support theater on a regular basis. Now anyone can win from anywhere, as long as it is within a few hours on the city.

Updated On: 4/13/15 at 05:58 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#73Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:10pm

"Does anyone have a clue about the number of lotteries tickets sold by Hamilton, Fun Home or Grounded?"

I can't speak for the others but I'm pretty sure the TodayTix lottery only gives away one pair of tickets to HAMILTON each performance. I would guess that the others depend on the number of tickets available for each show.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#74Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 7:54pm

With the FUN HOME lotto....does anyone know at what time they give your tickets away if you win? 

I dont live in the city currently and with the notifications usually coming after 4pm - ive lost each time - I wouldn't be able to make it to the theatre till around 7:45ish.