pixeltracker

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway- Page 4

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#75Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:42pm

"This is terrible news for any theatre fan that visits New York and I tell you why.
Just like Rock of Ages both shows were light hearted fluff shows and enjoyable both in there own way, but both shows performed on a Sunday Night/Monday Night when seeing a Broadway show is challenging.
So going to make those Sunday/Monday evenings very difficult now."

Those show's performances on historically "off" nights are fairly recent. 

You act as though there's nothing else to do in New York on those nights, whether or not you're a theatre fan. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#76Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:48pm

Mamma Mia is also one of the few Thursday matinees and they will be on that schedule from May until closing. It will be interesting to see if another show decides to try that timeslot.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#77Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 2:00pm

Well not really, there isn't much if you are a theatre fan, Chicago or Monday night only The Phantom of the Opera.

Hairspray0901
#78Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 2:28pm

Not sure if anyone cares, but, the final two performances are no longer available on telecharge! I managed to get a pair of tickets to the 8pm performance for 9/5 and the 2pm seemed to be selling pretty quickly. I imagine a great amount of the tickets are going to the cast/crew/creatives/former cast etc. but I'm glad they'll be going out with a bang!

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#79Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 2:37pm

"Well not really, there isn't much if you are a theatre fan, Chicago or Monday night only The Phantom of the Opera."

I'd love to spend my Monday night seeing Phantom. Mamma Mia!
Honestly, though, theatre fans don't have to just see shows the entire trip. There's tons of things in the city to see and do if you're a tourist.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#80Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 3:57pm

There's plenty of theater on Sunday nights. NYTW usually makes the whole theater $20 on Sunday night and many other off-Broadway theaters off a Sunday evening performance. 

Monday nights on Broadway aren't so uncommon when a show is in previews. There are great cabaret and benefit options on Mondays too.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#81Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 5:25pm

apparently theres rumors that Mamma Mia might transfer off broadway to new world stages

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#82Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 5:41pm

"Not sure if anyone cares, but, the final two performances are no longer available on telecharge! I managed to get a pair of tickets to the 8pm performance for 9/5 and the 2pm seemed to be selling pretty quickly. I imagine a great amount of the tickets are going to the cast/crew/creatives/former cast etc. but I'm glad they'll be going out with a bang!"

NY Post article wondered if the members of Abba would come to final show to do "Dancing Queen" sendoff - lol.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#83Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 5:52pm

I bet the final performance is going to be a blast. Sad I won't be at it, but I hope to see it in August about a month before it departs.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#84Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 6:39pm

apparently theres rumors that Mamma Mia might transfer off broadway to new world stages

It makes sense with the Shubert connection and the fact that last week's gross was $800,00+.  New World would provide a cheaper operating cost and open up the Broadhurst.

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#85Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:35pm

"Mamma Mia! "

Jonwo
#86Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:02pm

Im not sure if Mamma Mia could successfully transfer off-Broadway. It might work for small scale shows like Avenue Q but I think the economics just wouldn't add up to make it work 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#87Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:14pm

PhillyPinto, apparently theres rumors that Mamma Mia might transfer off broadway to new world stages

---

theres? > there's

Where did you hear that? I asked a friend of a friend that works for the Shubert's-New World Stages and nothing about a transfer of Mama Mia is planned.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#88Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:16pm

people in the biz told me 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

AEA AGMA SM
#89Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:22pm

If a producer can find a way to make a show the size of Mamma Mia work Off-Broadway and actually make money then that producer is at a level beyond genius.

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#90Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:29pm

I love Mamma Mia and am sorry to see it close.  

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#91Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:32pm

"Rebecca needs to open this year or the current producers will lose the rights. VWB has been very gratuitous towards Sprecher, however, given that they have extended the rights from 2013, then 2014, and now 2015. Hard to believe it could be the THIRD time the marquee was up at the Broadhurst!

"

Sorry to play schoolmarm, but I think you mean "gracious" or better yet, "generous", not "gratuitous".

Back OT, I have rarely been so bored as I was during the 3 hours of MAMMA MIA! Oh, the curtain call was fun, but it was a long, long wait for it.

If the alternative to that drivel is A8's "dirgical", give me the latter any time.

But we needn't go that far. There's already a nearly perfect ABBA musical: it's called MURIEL'S WEDDING (which is not to say I think that beautiful film needs to be redone as a stage show).

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#92Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:11pm

I've been told thst Mama Mia is going to be staged on the newset Oasis class cruise ship, too. Hmmmm? 

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#93Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/12/15 at 12:18am

I can't see Mamma Mia working in a small off-Broadway house.  The cast is too big, and there's no way the financials will make sense.

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#94Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/12/15 at 4:49pm

Mamma Mia is currently on the Quantum of the Seas until May and then it will transfer to the Allure of the Seas in June, where it will run for 5 years.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#95Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/12/15 at 4:58pm

"Mamma Mia is currently on the Quantum of the Seas until May and then it will transfer to the Allure of the Seas in June, where it will run for 5 years."

It will only seem like five years to the audience.  (I kid...I kid... I actually enjoy the show)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#96Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/12/15 at 4:59pm

PhillyPinto, apparently theres rumors that Mamma Mia might transfer off broadway to new world stages...people in the biz told me 

---

I asked a friend of a friend that works for the Shubert's-New World Stages and nothing about a transfer of Mamma Mia is planned. So tell your friends in the biz that a transfer of the Broadway production of MAMMA MIA is NOT happening. Thank you.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#97Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:03pm

New closing date is Sept. 12!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#98Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:06pm

Maybe they'll just keep extending it week by week. I'd be okay with that.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#99Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:28pm

I'm wondering why they only extended a single week… they've got to have something up their sleeve. Like a "Mamma Mia!" week, or a transfer (likely not), or something else… I don't know.