pixeltracker

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews- Page 4

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

Curious3
#75AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:18pm

I have been posting about this show since I first saw it in Paris. I loved it then and love it even more now that it has gone through various preview revisions. When I first posted I was accused and vilified by some as being a shill and that "they" predict a massive failure, a show that the public would have no interest in. Some of the persons who posted on these BBs clearly had no insight, no writing skills, and a major chip on their shoulder. Were they, are they "wannabes", "jaded theater goers", "failed theater people" who the hell knows, but what was and is amazing is that others on theses BBs read them and made decisions based on NOTHING. I said that there were those who posted here that seemed to be more knowledgeable and insightful then others and I was accused of being self involved and the implications were that "only my point of view was valid" What nonsense!  What I am saying is that any cretin can write on the INTERNET and that includes me. Be judicious and open minded when you read things. I would write the names of the offenders but they are so well known here it would be redundant.  Now, here is what I posted about this show and I stand by it and double my feelings now that it has officially opened. 

"I was there. This show is sharp, sophisticated and elegant. The story has been fleshed in comparison to the film. If you are not ready for a grand super romantic evening filled with the greatest dancing since Jerome Robbins hit the stage, then by all means stay away. If on the other hand you want to see and hear a truly grand production aimed at an adult mentality (that does not mean children would not get caught up in the sheer beauty) please, do not pass this one up. The story is much more complex then the film ever was and the relationships far more interesting, but fundamentally this is a show of pure beauty of dance (emphasis ballet) and timeless Gershwin (which includes many purely orchestral and instrumental works that have never been in a Broadway show)."

Streganona
#76AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:19pm

"This is one instance in which I was anticipating a review from Queen Ben ... Was trying to get my friend to see this with me but of course she won't... 
Clumsy: What makes 'An American in Paris' better than 'On the Town'? Besides Robert Fairchild's looks? AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews"

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#77AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:37pm

Clumsy: What makes 'An American in Paris' better than 'On the Town'? Besides Robert Fairchild's looks? AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews"

Hey, that Tony Yazbeck isn't bad to look at either, you know. AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews

I just.. I feel like there's really something special and magical involved with American in Paris that you can't really put words to. On the Town is wonderful, tuneful, and elegant, but I just.. there's something about American in Paris that you just have to see it to feel it and be encompassed by it. Does that make any sense? I also wouldn't say either of them is better than the other, because they're both so different and great at what they do, but American in Paris is just.. really special in my eyes. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/13/15 at 06:37 PM

ClumsyDude15
#78AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 6:44pm

Sorry to double post, but I just actually thought more about this and had to get it out there: American in Paris challenges what a musical can be, and challenges the idea that in a musical a song is the only way to tell a story and that dance can do just that in so many ways, in this case especially, better. 

On the Town moved me in places, but not anything like American in Paris did. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Lats Profile Photo
Lats
#79AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 8:04pm

Thanks So much for your post, Curious 3. I was there first night of previews and was totally blown away by this breathtakingly brilliant production. I have seen 100's of shows and this is one of the best and most entertaining ever. I was stunned at all the negative and nasty posts advising people to stay away. Who are these people working for? The audience that night was totally capivated. I felt tremendous vindication when the reviews from actual critics praised it from coast to coast. I don't always agree with critics or The Times, Honeymoon In Vegas, anyone?, but it's all true. This is a landmark achievement for real lovers of great theatre and pure entertainment. It can still happen. I can't wait to see it again.

Updated On: 4/13/15 at 08:04 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#80AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 8:07pm

It reminds me of how the people on these boards were responding to Aladdin while it was in previews last year. On opening night we were all expecting it to get all these mixed reviews from the critics, but as the reviews actually came in, they were much better than expected!

Annetteiago
#81AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 8:09pm

"It reminds me of how the people on these boards were responding to Aladdin while it was in previews last year. On opening night we were all expecting it to get all these mixed reviews from the critics, but as the reviews actually came in, they were much better than expected!"

The reviews make we want to return to see NYC

indytallguy
#82AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 8:18pm

"Thanks So much for your post, Curious 3. I was there first night of previews and was totally blown away by this breathtakingly brilliant production. I have seen 100's of shows and this is one of the best and most entertaining ever. I was stunned at all the negative and nasty posts advising people to stay away. Who are these people working for? The audience that night was totally capivated. I felt tremendous vindication when the reviews from actual critics praised it from coast to coast. I don't always agree with critics or The Times, Honeymoon In Vegas, anyone?, but it's all true. This is a landmark achievement for real lovers of great theatre and pure entertainment. It can still happen. I can't wait to see it again.

"

I have yet to see the show, but during my NYC trip earlier this month, I several sets of couples behind me at both Something Rotten and The Visit were talking about how incredibly boring they found An American in Paris. So I'm not sure we gain anything by assuming negative comments voice earlier about this show were by someone out to get it. We all have experiences where something that we really love is something that others dislike.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#83AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:44pm

^I pity the folks above who were bored by AN AMERICAN IN PARIS heading instead to THE VISIT for a more -- what? slam-bang entertaining time? Yikes, what a mistake that would be...

I loved ON THE TOWN back when we saw it in September, and it rightly deserves all the kudos it's been getting. But even its biggest boosters will concede that it relies a lot on a form of humor that will be a tough sell to contemporary sensibilities. Dancing: A+. Jokes: C-.

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS has no similar burden since so much more of its story is told in pure song and dance. And as I've been contending for several pages now, the physical production at AAIP boasts one of the most ravishing and imaginative designs to be seen on Broadway in several seasons. It's going for musical romance rather than musical comedy. For me that's a big plus too. This is the show I can't wait to go back to.

Curious3
#84AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 9:51pm

@indytallguy............I have absolutely no objection to personal criticism of this or any other show, movie, book or ANYTHING for that matter, but don't you think it is only fair and wise TO FIRST HAVE SEEN OR EXPERIENCED IT.  So many folks, it seems, just want to be noticed and would pull the wings off a butterfly if it got them there.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#85AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 10:00pm

Bottom line for me: We are incredibly blessed to have two musicals this season that feature the music of two of our greatest American composers--Gershwin and Bernstein--in musicals with wonderful casts and the kind of glorious dancing you seldom see any more.

That's enough for me to be grateful for.

ClumsyDude15
#86AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/15 at 10:09pm

Bottom line for me: We are incredibly blessed to have two musicals this season that feature the music of two of our greatest American composers--Gershwin and Bernstein--in musicals with wonderful casts and the kind of glorious dancing you seldom see any more.
 "

Here, here! 

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#87AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 3:16am

Just saw this :15 spot for An American in Paris.  The art direction and editing are lovely, but I've gotta ask - is the music we hear in this spot akin to what you hear in the theatre?  I know it's just an excerpt, but this sounds like a large symphonic size orchestra playing that gorgeous music.  I'm still looking forward to catching this show the next time I'm in NY, but unless my ears betray me that can't possibly be the 19 piece pit band playing in this spot.  I know, I know most audiences don't care about orchestras.  I get it. But surely with such a recognizable title with a score by perhaps the most beloved and well known American composer, the music is one of the bigger draws - even for casual theatregoers.  This spot gives one such a sense of a lush, grand aural experience. Overpromising?  Is it common for Broadway shows to use such dramatically augmented orchestras in their promotional spots?  I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but imagine if the most recent Night Music revival with its teeny 8 piece band used the 'Night Waltz' from the original cast recording in its commercials.  

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 03:16 AM

sctrojan65
#88AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/19/15 at 3:52am

I would have to cast my vote for Yazbeck.  

Now, if I could look like Fairchild, would I?  Sure.  In a NY minute.  

But I find Yazbeck's looks intriguing.  He's good looking without being on the pretty side.

And his character is so charming in OTT.  

And that voice!

"Clumsy: What makes 'An American in Paris' better than 'On the Town'? Besides Robert Fairchild's looks? AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews"
 Hey, that Tony Yazbeck isn't bad to look at either, you know. AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
I just.. I feel like there's really something special and magical involved with American in Paris that you can't really put words to. On the Town is wonderful, tuneful, and elegant, but I just.. there's something about American in Paris that you just have to see it to feel it and be encompassed by it. Does that make any sense? I also wouldn't say either of them is better than the other, because they're both so different and great at what they do, but American in Paris is just.. really special in my eyes. 
 "

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 03:52 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#89AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:52pm

I saw it tonight and think it's simply one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. It's so elegant and just stunning. I can't even begin to recommend it enough.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#90AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 12:59pm

I just picked up a ticket for the matinee on May 27 - I'm going to see Significant Other that night and decided to make it a day of theatre.  There weren't a ton of good options left, back of the orchestra, side mezz and balcony mostly. Same for a few other nights I looked at.

Anyhow, if anyone is looking to see it, I thought I'd share that they DO still have an active discount code supposedly through June 7. It's BOX01

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

neonlightsxo
#91AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 1:10pm

^ I used that code a few weeks ago. Got a rear mezz seat for $59 I believe. Great deal.

broadwaysfguy
#92AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/30/15 at 12:13am

Saw the matinee today

tons if very very old people so audience 

energy was not very high

this is a musical/ballet

something new and wonderful

i liked how the story went much deeper

And connected with all the main characters

A few times I even got the sense from the male leads moves what it must have been like to see gene kelly live

loved the performances by Jill paice and brandon

thought the dance/fantasy scene went long(felt the same in the movie)

This is a great production and must see  this season

Best m

usical will be very very interesting

If I were a voter id give to fun home

but not by a lot

both are fantastic beautiful works and must sees this season

PJPan
#93AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:12am

"

That we are.

Saw it last night and was absolutely enchanted by it. It's such a charming show and a beautiful score, performed expertly by accomplished dancers.

They have a wonderful supporting cast, too - I wish Veanne Cox had been recognized more, I loved her droll-deadpan delivery. Brandon Uranowitz was wonderful (even though I felt I had just seen the same character in "Beautiful"), and Max von Essen is a charming stage presence. The final ballet is a visual feast.