pixeltracker

Will Kristin Make It Through the Run?- Page 2

Will Kristin Make It Through the Run?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:59am

And its been widely stated....lots of voters don't see everything, they often vote based on word of mouth/reviews.  Even if they see the understudy....they could easily vote for her.

It is only the nominators that are REQUIRED to see each show.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#26Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:10am

It is only the nominators that are REQUIRED to see each show.

Voters aren’t required to see each show? I absolutely know that, with that amount of voters and that amount of shows (especially shows that opened and closed earlier in the season), it’s likely that many voters will not have seen every show. But, I assumed that they were still technically required to see each show? Or is it a case where the voters aren’t required to see every show, but are supposed to abstain from voting in the categories where they didn’t see all of the nominees?

Updated On: 5/4/15 at 10:10 AM

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#27Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:49am

I think that's what I heard or read somewhere. They are asked to see each show, and it would certainly be preferable, but it's not required. But you would hope that they would not vote in the respective categories that they cannot fully judge and and make a effort to at least see all the shows with multiple nominations...

But I was wondering (sorry, off-topic), do all voters get comped? Because with 800+ seats that would make a considerable financial impact esp on shows like OTTC with only 800 seats in the house. But on the other hand, you can hardly expect voters to pay for the tickets to each and every show... hmmm

neonlightsxo
#28Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:55am

Yes of course the Tony voters get comps.

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#29Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 12:38pm

For those of us seasoned enough to have been around during the original run, Madeline's issue were much different that Kristin's.  You can't and shouldn't compare the two scenarios.

Nice is different than good.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 12:41pm

Could you elaborate?

....but the world goes 'round

Liza's Headband
#31Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 12:50pm

It's on everyone's mind due to the fate of Madeline Kahn.

No, it's definitely not. Just yours. You are the one with the "overactive brain."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#32Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:41pm

Quite a comeback there, Headband.

When I posted that tweet, which I thought would be of interest to most, I did not have the Tony award in mind at all. Her long-term health is far more important than the Tony.

Kristin doesn't need a Tony award to validate her talents. She has legions of fans and is in demand everywhere.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#33Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:51pm

I hope that Kristin will get through this health episode and it's nice to see that she still performs even when she's not at 100%, goes to show what a strong woman she is.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#34Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 12:49am

"Kristin doesn't need a Tony award to validate her talents. She has legions of fans and is in demand everywhere."

Kristin most definitely cares about the awards. No, she certainly doesn't need a Tony to validate her work, but she has mentioned (in her memoir I believe) how upset she has gotten when she was snubbed for shows in which she believed she was delivering a particularly great performance. If I recall correctly, she cited the Apple Tree as an example. 

Annetteiago
#35Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 1:23am

"I was exhausted just watching her.
I didn't know she had asthma."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni%C3%A8re%27s_disease Kristin suffers from this disease. She is one tough Cookie. I would have given up !!!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#36Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 4:21pm

""Kristin doesn't need a Tony award to validate her talents. She has legions of fans and is in demand everywhere."
 Kristin most definitely cares about the awards. No, she certainly doesn't need a Tony to validate her work, but she has mentioned (in her memoir I believe) how upset she has gotten when she was snubbed for shows in which she believed she was delivering a particularly great performance. If I recall correctly, she cited the Apple Tree as an example. "

From what I remember, she only cited The Apple Tree as a time where she felt bad for not getting a Tony nomination. Based on the reviews she received and the precursors, it was a big surprise she didn't get a nomination as it seemed like she was a lock for one (not a win because it was Ebersole's year). Now that was a snub.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#37Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 9:45pm

Exactly. I'm pretty sure she even said that The Apple Tree was the *only* time she cared about the award, because of all the hard work she had put into the show and the validation she had gotten for it but the reviewers, which were the best of her career (at the time, I believe OTTC might have topped that), and not to be nominated came as big surprise to many, and also to her.

But she has said many time that this has reminded her to "never to anything with the expectation of an award". That's not to say that she won't be thrilled to be nominated again (for the first time in 11 years), and would undoubtedly be very happy to win. But she also knows that that's not what it's about and getting or not getting it doesn't have anything to with the quality of the work she is doing... And I'd imagine that's how most people in the business feel, or learn to feel. There is always people or shows that are snubbed, that's just the way it goes...

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#38Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 10:06pm

"For those of us seasoned enough to have been around during the original run, Madeline's issue were much different that Kristin's.  You can't and shouldn't compare the two scenarios."

I would also like to hear your take on it. The brand new biography of Kahn devotes a whole chapter to Twentieth Century. Just browsing through it on Amazon, problem one was that director Hal Prince did not like her and did not support her when she showed anxiety about taking on the difficult score eight times a week. Prince had expected Bernadette Peters in the role.

As Prince perceived her, Madeline was merely a movie star, unable or unwilling to come up with consistent performances onstage.  Prince was unaware of Kahn's difficulty with the score, to say nothing of her being terrified -- which she was.

Kahn was undeniably anxious about the demands of the score on her voice and her ability to meet the demands. Maris Clement, a member of the cast is quoted as saying, 'Those notes were very difficult to sing.... I think what happened was that Madeline got scared of it, and then she became more nervous, and she started getting panicky'."

John Cullum: I did my best to convince her that she was doing fine, but I noticed that she was transposing some of the lines in the Sextet.

Kevin Kline: [s]he was so brilliant; so incredibly funny. By the second week of rehearsals, Kline became aware of Madeline's anxieties about the score.

A sad story, but to her credit Madeline overcame this disaster in her life. This is of course is the take of her biographer, but everyone except Judy Kaye agreed to be interviewed by him.

I don't think that Kristin is intimated by the score, as long as she is healthy.

Updated On: 5/5/15 at 10:06 PM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#39Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/5/15 at 10:12pm

That's really sad to hear about Madeline. Reminds me of the nightmare experience Patti Lupone had with Evita. She also felt she had no support from the directors (Who was also Hal Prince).

I'm more than sure Kristin will make it through the run. She's obviously not scared of the score.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#40Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 8:44am

I bought tickets for OTTC for June 6. I realize this is the night before the Tonys. Think Chenoweth will be in?

LarryD2
#41Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 8:54am

It's stated very clearly on Roundabout's website that Chenoweth isn't performing on June 6:

NOTE: Kristin Chenoweth will NOT be performing at 8pm on Saturday, June 6, and there will be no 2pm performance on Sunday, June 7.

If you're not interested in seeing the show without her, I'd recommend contacting Roundabout's customer service department and inquiring after a refund or exchange.

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#42Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 9:22am

Ok thanks. I misread it. 

figaroindy
#43Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 10:19am

Prince had expected Bernadette Peters in the role.

Really?  Then perhaps he should have suggested to the composer to not write any high notes, because Peters NEVER had the notes this role requires.  This role is in no way suited Peters' voice at all - I imagine Prince MAY have considered her for the role, but she couldn't have sung it (as it is written)....period.

Yes, it's a very demanding role, and performing on Broadway is different than doing movies.  I think that while Kahn had a trained voice, she didn't have the experience/history of doing 8 shows a week to keep it in shape, and it was harder for her to sustain the run.  (She didn't do a lot of Broadway musicals.)  However her "departure" happened, it's not the same thing as Chenoweth's situation, as Chenoweth has consistently made her career on her voice, which Kahn did not do.  I think comparing them, other than the fact they both played the role, is really grasping at straws.

Updated On: 5/19/15 at 10:19 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#44Will Kristin Make It Though the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 2:19pm

I've heard Bernadette Peters sing some soprano-type stuff, but she would have been strange singing the role. She probably would have looked fantastic in it though.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#45Will Kristin Make It Though the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 4:38pm

Really?  Then perhaps he should have suggested to the composer to not write any high notes, because Peters NEVER had the notes this role requires.  This role is in no way suited Peters' voice at all - I imagine Prince MAY have considered her for the role, but she couldn't have sung it (as it is written)....period.

You are astute. Down further in that paragraph in the biography it is said that Prince later admitted that Peters would have had difficulty with parts of the score.

"Grasping at straws?"

Prior to seeing this biography I had no idea that Kahn's reason for quitting was a fear of being humiliated on stage by the failure of her voice to hit the high notes. I thought that the role in its entirety had been too strenuous.

There were some other interesting statements in that chapter of the book that I can't remember to whom to attribute. Someone connected to the show said that the problem was all in Madeline's mind; that she had the chops to do fifteen shows a week.

Someone else, Kevin Kline I think, said that Coleman's <expletive deleted> score was that of an operetta, not a Broadway musical, and any actress would have been intimidated by the difficulty.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#46Will Kristin Make It Though the Run?
Posted: 5/19/15 at 11:34pm

Kristin will definitely make it through the run, she'll get her health together and I think she'll end up pulling off the Tony's too, she's a trooper and an amazing talent. If she misses a few performances in the remainder of this month, she could lose some votes though.