Broadway 2016 Season

OneDayMore1979 Profile Photo
OneDayMore1979
#1Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 1:41pm

Hi Guys, 

I know, I am way ahead of myself here but planning a week in NYC next for the pre-2016 Tony Nomination Shows. 

And was wondering, what does Broadway have in store for 2016 

I know so far we have confirmed all opening in 2015. Hopefully they will all stay open through to April 2016

The Color Purple with Jennifer Hudson

School Of Rock : Andrew Lloyd Webbers next flop

Allegiance with Lea Salonga

Anything else been confirmed as yet?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 2:56pm

Don't forget about the upcoming revival of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF directed by Bartlett Sher and starring Danny Burstein as Tevye. It begins previews in November with opening night in January.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#2Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 2:59pm

Hamilton......winner of all the 2016 Tonys.

Jay94
#3Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 3:01pm

The Gin Game

King Charles III

On Your Feet

Our Mother's Affair

Those will probably still be on in 2016

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 3:04pm

So far, nothing tremendously exciting.

Poster Emeritus

OneDayMore1979 Profile Photo
OneDayMore1979
#5Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 3:12pm

Oh I forgot She Loves Me with Laura Benanti and really hoping for Kiss Of The Spider woman with Audra McDonald and First Wives Club

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 3:32pm

Amazing grace is probs going to be an early closure.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 3:56pm

Suggest dispensing with next year's Tonys since a poster above said Hamilton will win all of the Tonys anyhow.

Poster Emeritus

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#9Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 4:53pm

Audra McDonald is coming to Broadway with Shuffle Alng in 2016. The Spiderwoman reading she took part in was a reading and for now, her focus is A Moon for the Misbegoten at WTF and Shuffle Along.

Different Drum
#10Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 7:56pm

Tell it like it is, Mr. Roxy.

Hamilton sounds like a transformative work of art that is likely to dominate the next season. But the hubris surrounding this show reminds me of the certainty surrounding the British import Matilda, which was a shoo-in for best musical until Kinky Boots came along.

It's a shame, because many producers will choose not to bring in a new musical next season because of all the fawning over Hamilton. Let's hope someone gives them a run for their money.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 8:48pm

One can hope

As good as Hamilton is, I have trouble embracing a show where the price of a ticket is going for wages for a year for someone in an undeveloped little country.

Poster Emeritus

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#12Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 8:53pm

Are Hamilton prices higher than any other Broadway show? I paid $142 for orchestra seats. The problem is not what the producers are charging, the problem is that scalpers are grabbing up all the good non-premium seats. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#13Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 9:12pm

Visiting also roughly May 17-21 2016 and am thinking about:
 - "She Loves Me" with Laura Benanti
 - the "Shuffle Along..." musical with Audra
and keeping my eyes open about 
 - The Gin Game
 - Fiddler (a bit Tevye-fatigued, but I love Danny B)
 - Allegiance (give props to George Takei)
 - The School of Rock (in spite of ALW)
Less interested in other talked-about revivals like "The Color Purple" 

(We'll be seeing "Hamilton" this September - YAY!)

Updated On: 5/3/15 at 09:12 PM

starlightlocamotion
#14Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 10:54pm

the revival of cats as well.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/3/15 at 11:06pm

Cats Now we are getting somewhere - not.

Poster Emeritus

theatreguy12
#16Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 2:42am

Actually doesn't look like such a bad season.

I'll have on my list: Hamilton, She Loves Me, Fiddler on the Roof, Allegiance and Shuffle Along.

phantom phan2
#17Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 3:34am

"School of Rock- Andrew Lloyd Webber's next flop" 

Don't get too ahead of your self, this MAY work...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#18Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 4:37am

Falsettos!!!!

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#19Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 5:55am

I believe Audra has other commitments that will prevent her from doing Kiss next season.

But I read on playbill.com that both a Kiss and a Rink revival are both in the works.

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:30am

The Gin Game is to straight plays what Gypsy or Fiddler is to musicals. When you want to revive a show, look to these old warhorses instead of reviving something not usually revived.

Saw it once years ago and found it mildly enjoyable. No reason to rush to see it again. A Driving Miss Daisy without the car.

Poster Emeritus

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#21Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 9:47am

The Gin Game has been revived once, a four month revival in the late 70s, since its one-year run almost forty years ago.  In what ways is it similar to Gypsy/Fiddler?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#22Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:11am

On Your Feet - October - the new feel good Jerry Mitchell musical 

http://onyourfeetmusical.com/tickets/?gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4CH38unpcRUxGoaM9ELrUbt5yEbFWgt5Vfra-1XSPXghoC8iLw_wcB

Up In One

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:15am

Re Gin

Is there that much interest in a 2 person play with 2 people sitting at a card table? Will people be willing to shell out big bucks to see this? Will it appeal to tourists or the family crowd? DO not see this appealing to the demographic Broadway is aiming for.

Do not see the appeal but if some want to produce it and others want to see it be my guest. Do not see this as a long run in any event  

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/4/15 at 10:15 AM

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#24Broadway 2016 Season
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:20am

"Re Gin
Is there that much interest in a 2 person play with 2 people sitting at a card table? Will people be willing to shell out big bucks to see this? Will it appeal to tourists or the family crowd?
Do not see the appeal but if some want to produce it and others want to see it be my guest. Do not see this as a long run in any event  "

I read the play in college and am looking forward to it. It is obviously not meant to be a huge draw for the "family crowd"...god I hope there is still a market for more than just Disney on Broadway...