pixeltracker

Misty Copeland to join "On the Town"- Page 2

Misty Copeland to join "On the Town"

LarryD2
#25Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 8:51am

"Cynics say, "stunt casting."  If a great dancer at the top of her game -- and in very the week she made ballet history -- lends her artistry to a show built almost entirely on dance, no matter the brevity of her run, the stunt is genius. "

Who is calling this stunt casting?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#26Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 9:11am

"I have no idea who she is. "
"If you're serious - you will know who she is very soon. Her career at ABT is finally on the rise."

Starcatchers, I'm kind of chuckling at your response.  I'm not sure why anyone would be astounded that some readers here know little or nothing about ballet outside of Broadway.   But stop and think.  If someone doesn't know who Misty Copeland is, I'm willing to bet they won't have a clue what ABT stands for, so I'm not sure how much good your response did!  LOL"

I think the astonishment is more because Copeland's profile has been unusually high for the past few weeks. Were that not the case, I wouldn't be surprised that someone couldn't name principal dancers at ABT.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#27Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 9:49am

Wonderful news! No one more deserving!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#28Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:23am

""I have no idea who she is. "
"If you're serious - you will know who she is very soon. Her career at ABT is finally on the rise."

Starcatchers, I'm kind of chuckling at your response.  I'm not sure why anyone would be astounded that some readers here know little or nothing about ballet outside of Broadway.   But stop and think.  If someone doesn't know who Misty Copeland is, I'm willing to bet they won't have a clue what ABT stands for, so I'm not sure how much good your response did!  LOL"

I think the astonishment is more because Copeland's profile has been unusually high for the past few weeks. Were that not the case, I wouldn't be surprised that someone couldn't name principal dancers at ABT."

That was it. Sorry. I feel like I've been hearing her name fairly consistently from EVERYONE over the last couple of weeks. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#29Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:04am

Misty Copeland to join

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/6/15 at 11:04 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:05am

Is it me or do her feet look like they're facing the wrong way?

....but the world goes 'round

LarryD2
#31Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:07am

If you're buying tickets specifically to see Copeland, be aware that she is not doing all performances:

Copeland will appear only at the Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evening shows and the Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday matinees. The show will also have a Saturday and Sunday evening performance during those weeks.

brdway411
#32Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:38am

I had no idea who she was until this morning. I follow Broadway. Really not into ballet or Opera. Those areas belong to my husband in our house. 

And I agree with Mr Roxy. Putting a star ballerina in for 2 weeks during the slowest time on Broadway is kind of senseless.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#33Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:39am

Misty Copeland is on The View right this second if you are home and can turn it on.

Updated On: 7/6/15 at 11:39 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#34Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:56am

Ivy barely sings, so I don't know why they were asking her about her singing on The View. So Misty will only do a total of 12 shows for OTT?? At least their website is very clear she's only doing 12 performances.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:23pm

That's a strange picture of her. She looks like a spanish/white lady. And then I read the article and she's Africa-American. Crazy. But she's gorgeous. I'd love to see her in the role.

LarryD2
#36Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:33pm

"That's a strange picture of her. She looks like a spanish/white lady. And then I read the article and she's Africa-American. Crazy. But she's gorgeous. I'd love to see her in the role."

She looks like she looks. The production isn't trying to white-wash her appearance or her race.

Updated On: 7/6/15 at 12:33 PM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#37Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:39pm

Thanks Larry D2 for the info about which performances she will be doing. That info will definitely help me as I plan to see OTT again.

I initially became familiar with Misty from when she served as guest judge over several episodes of So You Think You Can Dance. I thought she was an excellent judge on that show.

She has a varied resume and I find her to be quite impressive.

Crain's NY article

Misty -video

Updated On: 7/6/15 at 12:39 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:51pm

"Cynics say, "stunt casting."  If a great dancer at the top of her game -- and in very the week she made ballet history -- lends her artistry to a show built almost entirely on dance, no matter the brevity of her run, the stunt is genius. "

Who is calling this stunt casting?

If there ever was a definition of stunt casting, this is it.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#39Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:54pm

Yep, this is definitely stunt casting, but it's excellent stunt casting.

LarryD2
#40Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:55pm

When I think of stunt casting, my mind goes to Jerry Springer in Chicago or NeNe Leakes in Cinderella -- not an eminently-qualified dancer being cast in a dance role in a dance show.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#41Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:58pm

She's a name being used for publicity, in the wake of high profile national news coverage.  And she's only doing a set number of shows over only two weeks.  It's a stunt, plain and simple.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 1:01pm

I doubt they'll make a fortune with Copeland doing only 12 shows. But it would be nice to see that theater packed for once.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LarryD2
#43Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 1:07pm

She's a name being used for publicity, in the wake of high profile national news coverage.

From what I understand this was in the works well before her recent promotion was announced. She wasn't cast because of her recent achievement. That's just a bit of happenstance -- and sure, it's good publicity for the show. But this production obviously wants a trained dancer in the role and Copeland is certainly that.

Updated On: 7/6/15 at 01:07 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#44Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 1:23pm

Yes obviously this has been in development since at least before she intro-ed On The Town's Tony performance.  And the show's PR team waited until the earlier announcement this week to take advantage of it for their own publicity.  This was probably all mapped out and planned months ago.  Things like this aren't happenstance.

LarryD2
#45Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 1:53pm

This was probably all mapped out and planned months ago.  

That would require them knowing that she was going to be promoted months ago -- and promotions are not decisions made months in advance.

VintageSnarker
#46Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:11pm

This site is not a big fan of Misty's. Not knowing much about ballet, I couldn't say anything about her abilities. I'm not wild about all the non-singers or not-primarily-singers starring in musicals but if this gives OTT a bump at the box office then I'm all for it. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#47Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:24pm

Taz, you are right. They are facing the wrong way

Problem is that for 12 performances they have to keep pumping money into it to keep it running. What do they do after she leaves?

Poster Emeritus

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#48Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:48pm

$10 bucks says this closes on Sept. 6.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#49Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:49pm

"This site is not a big fan of Misty's. Not knowing much about ballet, I couldn't say anything about her abilities. I'm not wild about all the non-singers or not-primarily-singers starring in musicals but if this gives OTT a bump at the box office then I'm all for it. "

It seems like that site has way more issues about life that go well beyond Misty Copeland and is using her as a tool to vent out those frustrations.

As to OTT finally getting a ballet superstar, well, I thought Megan Fairchild was a thrilling dancer who really knew how to act the part through dance.