pixeltracker

Stop dressing like crap!- Page 4

Stop dressing like crap!

MegInManhattan
#75Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:45pm

"I just don't get how this is classist? It costs the same amount to buy a sundress or a nice pair of jeans and a blouse at Target as it does to buy casual clothes, for the most part. It doesn't cost a whole lot more money to look presentable vs. looking like you just rolled out of bed. I'm not advocating for ball gowns and suits, but I think it should be standard to at least look clean and groomed and like you were planning on leaving the house.
I don't buy the argument that how you dress is a reliable indicator of how you will behave, but really, I don't understand all the outrage in this thread."

Well said, Zanna. Lizzie, I've been agreeing with all of your points too.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#76Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:13pm

Mr Barrow--totally agree.

Individuals set their own standard of overall dress sence so unless it comes with 'dress conditions' when buying your ticket-wear whatever.

I am old school and always wear a jacket and open neck shirt. My mirror tells me that it what makes me look, in my eyes, reasonably presentable.

I often sit next to guys wearing shorts, thongs[feet-the other would be more fun] and singlet on a 6 hr flight to Bali and delight in the fact that an hour into the flight they are freezing cold with the aircraft temperature---pity it is never a J Groff look-a-like--now THAT would be totally acceptable !

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#77Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:32pm

It doesn't cost a whole lot more money to look presentable vs. looking like you just rolled out of bed.

Define "presentable".  Presentable to whom and for what purpose?  Loads of people look "presentable" to me in shorts, t-shirt flip-flops (even a bit sexy) and don't look like they "just rolled out of bed".  Or those the only two types you see?

So for those who feel that everyone should wear specific types of clothing to the theatre, please tell me precisely what it is you think I personally should wear (not what I shouldn't) when attending the theatre so that I will not offend only you personally.  Just be very specific and try not to speak for others.  Give me your instructions.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 05:32 PM

smidge
#78Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:38pm

I don't really understand the outrage of Ms. Vincentell in her article. As Jane2 mentioned it's how you feel about yourself. If it makes you feel good to dress up, that's wonderful. If you feel better in a clean, casual outfit, that's great too. But I still don't get why this writer is paying attention to other's people attire at a theatre performance. Walk in the theater, watch and enjoy the thrilling performances before you , show your apprecation and respect thru your applause and then leave. No checking your phone, eating, talking or being bothered by somebody else's appearance.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#79Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:40pm

I don't mind answering your post, Matt.

I've already said it twice, that you should wear whatever you feel is the right attire.

Since it's a personal choice, here's mine: I do not think flip flops or tank tops are proper for men. I'd prefer at least a shirt with some sleeves, and a sandal or shoes that are not beach flip flops.

For women, same-no flip flops, no very short shorts or skirts that are so short that you clearly are uncomfortable in because you keep tugging them down, no tank tops.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#80Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:55pm

People use to get dressed up for sporting events as well and that no longer happens either. That's just how people use to go out. 

I get why people still dress up when they go especially if they are from out of town cause it's a special occasion but I usually see 40 to 50 shows a year and so many of the seats are so uncomfortable that if I had to be in uncomfortable clothes as well I probably wouldn't even go any more. I will dress up for an opening night though. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#81Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:57pm

"There could be a whole separate thread on people who feel fine coming to the theatre with incredibly offensive BO. When you are going to be in close quarters with lots of people, please, please be conscious of how you smell."

In the same theme there are some people who also wear way too much cologone and perfume. 

Mister Matt
#82Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:09pm

I don't mind answering your post, Matt.

I've already said it twice, that you should wear whatever you feel is the right attire.

Oh, I wasn't worried about you, Jane.  Basically, what we wear when you see me and Bill is what we wear to the theatre and you didn't say we looked hideous or inappropriate or anything, so I figured we were okay.  But perhaps we should bring our "service dog" to the theatre...  Stop dressing like crap!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#83Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:10pm

"In the same theme there are some people who also wear way too much cologone and perfume."

YES! A common  problem. My friend and I were seated once next to a woman who was drenched in perfume. We had such good orchestra seats too! Neither of us could breathe. The house manager moved us to the only available seats which were in the side, in the balcony. These seats were the furthest you could get from the woman who was in the left front orchestra. Guess what? We could smell her perfume in the balcony! I think it wafted throughout the entire theater!

Tom5
#84Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:18pm

I try to wear something that relates to the lead in the play I'm seeing. That's why I chose A Fish In The Dark over The King And I.

Mister Matt
#85Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:19pm

Just an FYI - The only distracting thing about my scent is how delicious and sexy I smell all the time 24/7, but I honestly can't help that.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#86Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:28pm

"service dog" to the theatre...

HAHAHA and make sure said dog is camera ready!

Phantom4ever
#87Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:44pm

Growing up in Chicago and seeing all the tours come through town, it was common to see people dressed up: suit-and-tie type of outfits. Something that can easily be worn to a wedding. 

But that situation is when a show is in town for a month or two, and it is special occasion. I am totally guessing, but I get the impression that people who dress up like that for theater do not go very often and it is a special night out for them.  And it is nice to see people dressed up; it adds to the excitement of the evening. 

Now New York City is a whole different situation. I have so many people visit me and I run them ragged around the city all day long that by the time that 8pm curtain hits, most of my visitors look like they just ran a 4-minute mile up a hill backwards in the snow. 

Now does that mean we wear sweatpants? Paint-splattered shirts? Last-day-before-laundry apparel?  No. But I am all for dressing casually for the theater.  When I take my high school students to shows, I ask them to dress casually; t-shirts, shorts, whatever they feel comfortable in. I want people to see them and think "look at these thugs with no respect for thea-tuh, why can't they dress better?" And then those "thugs" behave like angels through the whole show and the judgment jerks are just that: jerks. 

If you want to dress up for a special night out at the theater, great. If you go to a million shows a year and couldn't possibly dress up because you are coming straight from work/class/hanging out/whatever, then come as you are. 

One of my favorite things about moving to New York was that I was able to treat theater as such an everyday, commonplace occurrence. I cherish that. No longer did I have to see only Saturday night shows and wear a tie because they tour is only here for 2 more weeks!  I could go on a Tuesday night in my jammies (I kid, I kid!) 

ZannaDo
#88Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:56pm

"Define "presentable".  Presentable to whom and for what purpose?  Loads of people look "presentable" to me in shorts, t-shirt flip-flops (even a bit sexy) and don't look like they "just rolled out of bed".  Or those the only two types you see?"

Presentable to go out to an event with lots of other people that cost you and those around you (presumably) a good chunk of change. Different things look different on different people, so it's hard to set rules, but I think most people are capable of using good judgment? A dress that looks nice on one person might be too short on someone taller, etc. Generally, I try to wear, at minimum, nice, clean, dark jeans with a blouse and shoes that aren't flip-flops, but I generally will put on a dress (usually a casual cotton/jersey one) and ballet flats. 

Different outfits are right for different situations, that's why we have so many different styles of clothing. Wear what you want, nobody's going to start imposing rules, but I definitely understand a little eye-rolling when you see somebody show up smelly and in athletic clothes. 

skies Profile Photo
skies
#89Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:57pm

I think it's great that people can have variety in their attire.

However, sometimes people dress up because they want to dress up or enjoy it, it's not a statement or a judgement on others.

Going to church is common place occurrence for me, and something I dress up for all the time.  Ditto for work or meeting clients.

Some people actually feel comfortable dressed in nice and more formal clothes, I certainly do.  A crisp white linen shirt feels wonderful on a hot humid day, (well as wonderful as being out on a hot humid day entails as opposed to poolside or at the beach).

I don't think there is a direct correlation between being uncomfortable and being dressed up, I wear ties virtually every day and I don't even think about it.  

What I have noticed is that while there are jerks who judge others for dressing down, there others who mock or judge others for being too "dressy" or "formal" as a reverse judging.  Or as being too in "awe" of theatre as a special occassion.  Well sue me, to me like church, going to the theatre is a special occasion, no matter how many times I attend.

I do think body odor, however, is a no-no.  A suit or a tee shirt that is rancid to high heaven, just  no.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 06:57 PM

VintageSnarker
#90Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:37pm

"Define "presentable".  Presentable to whom and for what purpose?  Loads of people look "presentable" to me in shorts, t-shirt flip-flops (even a bit sexy) and don't look like they "just rolled out of bed".  Or those the only two types you see?"

"For women, same-no flip flops, no very short shorts or skirts that are so short that you clearly are uncomfortable in because you keep tugging them down, no tank tops."

See, this is where dress codes start to get into a morality zone. I also feel like this has been unsaid but the Jonathan Groff look a like comment made me think of it. There are certain people who are considered less presentable aren't there? Someone who is overweight in a sundress or a polo shirt and slacks can easily look "less presentable" than a slimmer person in the same outfit. 

I feel like a lot of criticism is being directed at younger/middle-aged audience members. I don't really care but I have to point out that it's not like most older audience members show up in their best ball gowns and tuxedos. 

Jingjo2 Profile Photo
Jingjo2
#91Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:56am

Wow I don't get why some people are so judgmental towards things that do not concern them at all! This is why we have wars.. It usually begins with people with negative attitude looking down on others. Even the smallest things as the physical appearance.

Can we focus on cellphones? Taking pictures In the theatre incl the set? Candy wrappers? Hummer and Singer? Leg spreaders? Seat kickers?... I would say people who doesnt dress the way you'd like to see should be on the bottom of the list of annoying theatre attendees.

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 12:56 AM

brdway411
#92Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:14am

I'm  old, it's hot, I will wear what I want. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#93Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:15am

Snarker, 

Most people note and don't like the way some people dress. And we tell our friends how we feel, whether at the theatre, on the subway or just walking down the sidewalk.

Most of this thread has devolved (in the usual fashion) into a poll as to how we like and don't like to see people dress. But that really misses the point, because the thread is about a ridiculous theatre critic who deigned to public chastise people for how they dress at the theatre (and whose own choices are worthy of criticism in my opinion, but that too is beside the point) in a newspaper of general circulation (and one, mind you, that her "targets" do not even read).

As I said before, this is a pathetic attempt to draw attention and readership (it worked!) to try and save her job. Let's not prompt any more clicks.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#94Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 8:30am

"Wow I don't get why some people are so judgmental towards things that do not concern them at all! This is why we have wars.."

The topic was brought up and we're posting our opinions. It doesn't mean any more than that. 

As for "this is why we have wars" um, k.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#95Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:03am

Comfort level is also not just physical but psychological. The first time I saw Rent by myself, this was in 1999 or so and I thought I'd dress informally given the nature of the show. (The first time I'd seen it was a few months earlier with a few friends and we'd never seen a show together as a group, so we all dressed up a bit.)

Physically I felt fine and it was a comfortable outfit, but in my head I felt like a total out-of-place bum walking in and out of the theatre in tennis shoes and these baggy canvas pants you'd find in an old Delia's catalog. Never did it again. Experimenting with what works for you is important as well.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:31am

I'm not sure how I can justify dressing up to a place that serves bad wine in sippy cups.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#97Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:44am

Part of the reason I don't go to broadway theaters extremely casual is for the physical buildings themselves. I consider most broadway theaters to be beautiful, somewhat luxurious and formal places. That influences my attire. For instance, there are some off and off off broadway houses which are similar to some unfinished basements I've seen. I feel at home in quite casual dress there.

I know I'm a bit "old fashioned" but I also am influenced by museums such as the Met. Such stunning and quiet places, intended to soak in fine art. I know it's perfectly acceptable to browse around there in flip flops and torn tank tops (I mean, it's art, after all!) but for  me myself, I'd rather wear a little more of an upscale outfit, for the respect of the art.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#98Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:11am

Jane2, 

I think you are doing exactly what you should do, which is dress in the way that puts you in the frame of mind that pleases you most. Most of us like to dress up sometimes, even when it is not "appropriate." And vice versa.

But I do have one question about the way you dress and the building you are going to be in. Do you dress differently when you catch a train at Grand Central than you do at Penn Station? Stop dressing like crap!

MegInManhattan
#99Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:12am

"Part of the reason I don't go to broadway theaters extremely casual is for the physical buildings themselves. I consider most broadway theaters to be beautiful, somewhat luxurious and formal places. That influences my attire."

Great point, Jane. It adds to the formality of the experience.

Since it's summer we're obviously focusing on shorts and flip flops...but what about casual winter attire? I wore Uggs to one or two shows in those really cold winter days (with nice jeans and a dressy top though) and once in the theatre felt schleppy like I should have bit the bullet and worn better shoes :/

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 11:12 AM