pixeltracker

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway- Page 2

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#25Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:22pm

"I bet Philly is popping champagne bottles over this."

I was going to agree with you, but then I remembered he's too young to buy that kind of beverage. I'm sure he's popping some sparkling cider and talking to his insider friends about what will be going into the Lyric next.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#26Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:23pm

I HAD TICKETS FOR THE 10TH WHAT THE...:/

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#27Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:25pm

"I think the tour will not have the same size orchestra as was the case on Broadway."

Does anyone think that it might, through the incorporation of local musicians? I don't know how these things work.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#28Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:32pm

Mr. N - I think that's the only way it could be humanly possible to do a tour with the full orchestra.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty common practice to pick up local musicans on national tours - even for productions with smaller orchestras than this.  Yet another reason why I never buy tickets for the first week of a national tour's run.  Give em time to get settled in and refine their performances.  

BroadMagTech
#29Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:46pm

We all saw this coming and now we know when. Does anyone have an idea of what is coming next to the Lyric? I remember from March that Cirque Du Soleil set their eyes on the Lyric. I bet that with a killer show, they can break the curse of the Lyric.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:48pm

God ANYTHING but a Cirque show... PLEASE.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#31Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 8:57pm

Two of my happiest nights of theater last year were the 2 performances I attended of ON THE TOWN. Supremely well conceived, gorgeously mounted, thrillingly cast. And oh, that orchestra! The first time our TKTS tickets put us dead center row B, directly in front of the conductor, and we were in musical theater heaven as if Tony Yazbeck and his costars were playing the whole show directly to us. 

Unpopular to say here on BWW, but this very challenging show was robbed of its Tony for Best Revival. It made this past season glow twice as brightly.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#32Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:05pm

Damn. I figured this would happen, but I was hoping it would hang on until October, when I'll be in NYC. Oh, well, one less option makes my theater-going decisions a little easier, I guess.

BroadMagTech
#33Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:27pm

Based on their previous successes and failures as well as their recent comments, Cirque Theatrical will be going down a road that differs from Zarkana and Bananna Shpeel in that instead of having theater or vaudeville as a component of one of their regular acrobatic spectaculars, their next endeavor will have a theatrical basis with their usual technical and artistic flair but with more of a cohesive plot line that separates itself from their iconic Vegas and touring shows. 

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#34Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:29pm

Definitely going back to see this before it closes. Absolutely one of the best revivals I've seen in a few years.

ivandixon2
#35Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:33pm

Cirque spent over 100 million for a show that was suppose to run for ten years at the Kodak in LA. I had friends that went where there was barely a hundred people. It closed after a year.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#36Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:46pm

DAMN! They must have lost a lot of money. I would imagine NYC would be a better place for cirque considering people there are always seeing shows, and the illusionists and Penn and Teller have made very good business. I just don't want people to chose Cirque over Broadway play or musical 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

BroadMagTech
#37Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:48pm

Nothing will ever top true Broadway shows but it does not mean something new cant come onto the scene.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#38Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:49pm

In Pittsburgh there are pretty much always local musicians.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#39Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:00pm

Just bought my tickets for the final performance (there will be a matinee and an evening show, correct? - someone needs to update ticketmaster which is still selling dates far later than September 6). Very excited to see this show one more time as it is still the best thing I have ever seen on stage.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:21pm

What a magnificent production. We will never see this material done this well in our lifetimes. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:22pm

Totally agree

Poster Emeritus

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:49pm

Copeland's schedule doesn't have her doing the Saturday & Sunday evening shows. I have to wonder if she'll add in the final show to her schedule.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#43Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:51pm

Could Cirque and Barnum be a good marriage?

BroadMagTech
#44Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 11:32pm

I would love to see Barnum on Broadway but I have a few thoughts. Barnum if revived on Broadway has to separate itself from the recent revival of Pippin. Maybe going beyond acrobats, Cirque could lead the overal design team with a concept based around vaudevillian circus and the sideshows of the past. Something similar to the recent U.K production. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#45Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/15 at 11:46pm

"Philly will be so happy."

Honestly I am happy. Those producers could have put the money they lost towards developing new work or producing more shows. Totally irresponsible 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

rob136
#46Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:57am

As with all but the worst of shows, I'm sad to see it go, but excited to see what takes its place. I wasn't a big fan of On the Town. It was very "Broadway as usual" and didn't innovate or break the mold as much as other musicals in its season (Fun Home mainly, but also On the Twentieth Century as well as Hamilton if you count Off-Broadway). Not every show can be innovative, but I can still hope.

Absolutely amazed it held on as long as it did, though. This was a miserable failures for the producers, not only because they failed to pull the plug when it was time, but also because they chose the second largest theatre to stage a show that does not have the "wow factor" to consistently fill it.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#47Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 1:40am

I liked this show but didn't love it though I think that has more to do with the show itself than this production. I thought it was a really well done production. They certainly had a good run, longer than most expected and they tried their hardest to fill that huge theater.

Updated On: 8/7/15 at 01:40 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#48Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 1:50am

I adored this revival...not surprising but still sad to hear. I'm probably going to go back to see Misty Copeland when she starts performances.

neonlightsxo
#49Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:30am

"I was going to agree with you, but then I remembered he's too young to buy that kind of beverage"

Ha! A+