pixeltracker

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway- Page 3

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

Sutherland
#50Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:01pm

Love your message, Cinders!  I, too, am terribly sorry to see this wonderful production go.  My thanks go to the producers for keeping it running.  I was not able, due to work commitments, to see it until May, and have taken friends to it twice since.  If the producers had not been so generous, I would have missed it entirely.  OTT has had 14,000+ seats to sell each week (how many does it take Fun Home, for example, to sell out?).  It is beautifully performed and played.  It is also makes demands on the audience that many shows don't these days (e.g. the score is of major sophistication, the numbers are often very long, if brilliant, it takes an appreciation of classical dance).  But that's why I love it!  Thank you, On The Town!

broadwaysfguy
#51Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:06pm

what a gift this revival was

thank you to cast, producers and all involved

will always have very fond memories of this production

first row, inside aisle, matinee saturday with Something Rotten as my evening

show

my definition of a really really fine day on broadway....

and of course, excited for whats next.....

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#52Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:10pm

At least we got an amazing cast album out of it. I'll still listen to the Nancy Walker recording, too.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:18pm

That cast album is more than amazing. It was the best cast album of the season as far as I'm concerned. The production may not have been a financial success but there was so much love and passion put into it by the cast, creatives and especially the producers who kept it open for as long as they did in that huge theatre that the money almost doesn't matter. Almost. I know at the end of the day it's all about making a profit but everyone involved still created a production to be proud of.

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#54Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 12:21am

I will be sad to see this show go. I thought the design of this show was beautiful.

bfreak
#55Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 2:56am

Having just seen the show tonight, I have to say I am saddened to see this show. I wasn't going to originally see this but came across some comped tix and went and was really pleasantly surprised. The entire production was one of the best of last season and it was very fresh and had a slightly modern take to it, and I felt every single member of the company did a great job. I feel bad that there aren't too many shows that sell well at the Lyric because in my opinion it is a grand, beautiful theatre and one of the best on Broadway to enjoy a show. I was house left Orchestra Row R and had a fantastic view from there! Most of the orchestra seemed to be filled up (except some of the sides were scattered a bit) but I couldn't tell what the story was in the dress circle or the balcony. At the very least I hope this does well on tour and/or regional productions because I ended up having a really helluva time! (I know, but I just had to)

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#56Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 3:15am

Would being in a smaller theatre have made that much difference though?

If the cast, orchestra and physical production were the same then aside theatre rental not much would  change in terms of running costs. Would more people have come to see it in a smaller venue? Probably not as majority of theatregoers don't care what theatre a show is in. So grosses wouldn't have changed.

At least in a bigger theatre they had the chance to try and sell more tickets even at a lower price.  In a smaller theatre there would be fewer seats but still sold at a lower price.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#57Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 8:14am

I and my husband had tickets for OTT this past Thanksgiving weekend. I ended up having surgery and could not go but he did. He raved and raved and loved it. I was very disappointed of course, but s**t happens. We talked about it again, decided to get tickets again, and got 2 great seats for 9/6 before we found out it was closing night. I feel so lucky that now I'll be able to see it, the Broadway Gods were with us this time around!Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 8/8/15 at 08:14 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#58Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 10:09am

> It was very "Broadway as usual" and didn't innovate or break the mold as much as other musicals in its season (Fun Home mainly, but also On the Twentieth Century as well as Hamilton if you count Off-Broadway).<

How would a 70 year old musical like On the Town be expected to "innovate" like a new musical?  How did On the Twentieth Century "break the mold," exactly?  And with its four major ballet sequences, On the Town was an innovator in its day, although Broadway, with its short term memory, now thinks ballet on Broadway was discovered by An American In Paris.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#59Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 11:18am

again, does anyone know if Copeland will do the final show?? She's not scheduled to do Sat. & Sun. evenings.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#60Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 11:49am

Assuming that's a contractual decision, I'd assume we wouldn't know the answer to that until the date gets closer and closing night details are announced. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#61Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 12:24pm

Loved it.

Just give the world Love.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#62Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 12:44pm

I've been listening to the cast recording again after reading the closing notice, and I just can't get over how great the score sounds with the production. I really wish I could see this one more time before it closes. Once just wasn't enough.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Brick
#63Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 1:58pm

"We can knock the producers for pouring money into this for a year, but they kept a great show - with some of the best reviews of the entire season - alive for a lot longer than the traditional fate of a fall musical would allow. And for that, it kept a huge orchestra and huge ensemble employed in from of very appreciative audiences. "

Hear, hear!

lunch
#64Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/8/15 at 8:27pm

"Too bad Copeland will have a short time"

Copeland was only scheduled for two weeks -- August 25 through September 6.  See http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/misty-copeland-broadway-debut-on-the-town-1201534246/ 

The closing won't effect her run, unless they decide to move her to the evening show on the last night.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#65Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/9/15 at 4:42pm

I liked the revival, but never was completely in love with it. However, Tony yazbeck's performance was one of the best I've ever seen. If he's on the tour it will be much less of a loss.

fallingawake Profile Photo
fallingawake
#66Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/14/15 at 7:20pm

just saw that Tony Yazbeck is out of the show all weekend with an injury, and Tyler Hanes is filling until he gets back on Tuesday. I didn't have a desire to see the show again, but I loved Tyler in the role at PaperMill, so I'm going back. (Still on TDF for this weekend btw).  Anyone know why they went with Tyler instead of the understudy? I'm pretty sure he's been doing regional shows this summer, and wasn't in the production at the Lyric previously.

Source 1  /  Source 2

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#67Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/14/15 at 7:36pm

"just saw that Tony Yazbeck is out of the show all weekend with an injury, and Tyler Hanes is filling until he gets back on Tuesday. I didn't have a desire to see the show again, but I loved Tyler in the role at PaperMill, so I'm going back. (Still on TDF for this weekend btw).  Anyone know why they went with Tyler instead of the understudy? I'm pretty sure he's been doing regional shows this summer, and wasn't in the production at the Lyric previously.

Source 1  /  Source 2

"

I wonder how long Yazbeck's been injured? Hanes was added into the program as the Gabey s/b last week, so I'm guessing it was just a matter of him learning everything before officially going on. Also Clyde Alves has been out of the show as he's away doing OKLAHOMA  at the MUNY. So two leads have been out since [at least] last week & a new Ivy started on Tuesday.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bfreak
#68Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/14/15 at 9:14pm

Clyde Alves was out last Friday, but his understudy (Cody Johnson, I believe) was fine.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#69Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/14/15 at 9:34pm

yes, Cody Johnson was on all last week as Ozzie. Cory Lingner is on all this week as Ozzie. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#70Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/14/15 at 10:39pm

Kevin Worley understudied the role of Gabey as well, but he left the show recently. Not surprised they added Tyler Hanes. I'd kind of like to see him. I'm going to the final Wednesday matinee.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#71Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/16/15 at 12:43pm

I saw Tyler Hanes last night.  He was charming in the role and, when called for--'Lonely Town', for example--powerful and very affecting.

I was sorry that my guest missed Yazbeck's performance, but I love seeing a talented performer stepping into a role like this, and I was really pleased to see Hanes. 

The audience has evolved into the standard late-in-the-run mix of tourists in T-shirts & cargo shorts and groups of First Responders from Moonachie, but those kids up on the stage are still singing and dancing their hearts out, God bless them.  It was still a great evening of theater. 

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#72Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/16/15 at 1:11pm

I saw Tyler yesterday afternoon. As someone who has seen this production 11 Times, I think they should let Tyler fill in for Gabey for the rest of the run. Tony Yazbeck is fantastic but needs to heal his foot and Tyler brought so much to the role. 

Tyler Hanes was in the Paper Mill version and I really love him in the role. He is outstanding. ( PS I also adore Tony Yazbeck in the role!) This happens to be my favorite revival running on Broadway. I personally think Tyler is a better dancer and was really moved yesterday. Go and see him if you can!

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#73Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:22pm

I've been on the fence about seeing this for months. Is it worth going before it closes?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#74Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:24pm

^ Yes.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "