pixeltracker

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway- Page 4

Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#75Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:27pm

Yes! I have seen it 11 times. I did miss Megan Fairchild her dream ballet was beyond but Tyler and everyone in the cast are great. It is the only show I have seen 11 times. (Almost once a month!) Today tix has good prices on the show and an online lotto. Enjoy!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#76Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:30pm

Be a little mature--read ALL that has already been written above and on other threads-THEN make up your own mind.

If you love musical theatre then just go---this will not be revived,on Broadway, for a loooooooooooong[helloPhilly] time.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#77Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 5:00pm

damn thats a lot of times!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

brdway411
#78Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 5:09pm

I was beyond bored to tears when I saw it, but if you love dated, dance heavy shows, go for it. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#79Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 5:38pm

same here brdway411!! It wasn't even funny

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#80Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 7:22pm

"I've been on the fence about seeing this for months. Is it worth going before it closes?"

If you have even a modicum of good taste, you will find plenty to enjoy in this wonderful production.  

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#81Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:12pm

It's a bummer Misty Copeland will not be doing the closing night performance.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

FindingNamo
#82Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:16pm

"It is the only show I have seen 11 times."

I'm pretty sure you saw Forbidden Broadway many more times than that, right?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#83Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:19pm

Is it confirmed that Copeland won't be doing the last show? We got tickets for that ( before the closing was announced) Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#84Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:20pm

"Is it confirmed that Copeland won't be doing the last show? We got tickets for that ( before the closing was announced) Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway

"

I'm wondering, too, if this is true. I would imagine the producers are at least trying to switch up her schedule to have her do the final show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#85Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:22pm

^ I believe so... It says on the website that she is only doing 12 performances.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#86Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/17/15 at 9:33pm

"> It was very "Broadway as usual" and didn't innovate or break the mold as much as other musicals in its season (Fun Home mainly, but also On the Twentieth Century as well as Hamilton if you count Off-Broadway).<

This production was, indeed brilliant.  It is a difficult, horribly dated book   Previous, disappointing  revivals have shown how difficult it is to do this show well.    This time, every roll was perfectly cast.  Songs that could have been tedious were staged to stress the humor and hold the attention.   The beauty of the ballads, the dancing, the Bernstein music had to be savored.  Which is exactly what I did, every moment, as I watched it a second time, knowing and very conscious of the fact that, as pal Joey says we will never see this quality again for this show.   Thank goodness we have the recording and I have my wonderful memories.

It was every bit as much of an accomplishment as fun home   One that, frankly, I really didn't think was possible.

"

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 09:33 PM

TapDanceGal
#87Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 8:16am

Copeland isn't doing the Sunday evening closing show.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#88Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 8:28am

Thanks TapDance; I'm a little disappointed but figured it was still a gamble. I know the show and cast will be wonderful.

I guess we'll dance up to ABT to see her sometime.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#89Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 9:44am

Thanks for the feedback ... :) BroadwayWorld -- It's a helluva board!!! :)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#90Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 12:53pm

If you have even a modicum of good taste, you will find plenty to enjoy in this wonderful production. 

Well, what I think you're trying to say is that people whose tastes are similar to yours will enjoy the show. :) It is not a sign of poor character to dislike this show (or any other). I also found it quite tedious, but the fact is that I'm probably never going to like a show of this genre, from this era. It's not the show's fault, or mine.

Dollypop
#91Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 1:08pm

I took my grandkids and they absolutely loved the show--and it's score.  I'm happy that they are listening to the cast album over and over.  One can never have enough of Leonard Berstein's music in one's life!

We'll be seeing the show once more before closing.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#92Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 4:56pm

Going to see it again on Thursday, can't wait!

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#93Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/15 at 6:00pm

"If you have even a modicum of good taste, you will find plenty to enjoy in this wonderful production. 

Well, what I think you're trying to say is that people whose tastes are similar to yours will enjoy the show. :) It is not a sign of poor character to dislike this show (or any other). I also found it quite tedious, but the fact is that I'm probably never going to like a show of this genre, from this era. It's not the show's fault, or mine."

No, I said exactly what I meant.  I mean, right, PJ...?

robertmole28
#94Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/15 at 12:11am

Misty Copeland will not be performing the Sunday Evening show it was confirmed today by Philp Boykin at the stage door

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#95Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/15 at 12:26am

anyone know which one of the Ivy u/s will be performing the Saturday & Sunday evening shows??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#96Breaking News: ON THE TOWN Sets Fall Closing Date on Broadway
Posted: 8/21/15 at 1:56pm

Haha. No one else mentioned this threads headline that at first comes across like a report that the shows sets fell down?

I finally got around to catching the show & even though I went into it not really caring for earlier versions, I found that this one magically transcends the shows limitations & gives it's audiences a hell of a BIG SHOW that ends up being a polished delight. I enjoyed the sound/orchestra, lighting, & costumes, the most.

Sheer quantity here seems to make up for some lack of quality nuanced theatre art.

Tony Yazbeck seems like the show's strength. As a terrific song & dance man, his singing & poignancy of being the sole sailor who doesn't score the gal is very nicely achieved.

I also liked the other 2 guys even if their style & basically comic dancing personas blur together as indistinguishable to me. Of the gals, I liked Elizabeth Stanley's big-eyed ditzy glee that felt like helium or laughing gas to me (even if she didn't quite capture "Some Other TIme" all that strongly.) To those who know Gilligan's Island, her performance was like a younger somewhat frantic Mrs Thurston Howell the 3rd reborn as a soprano. What she was doing just looked like fun to me, even if her character was an abusive 2-timing adulterer.

The show mainly reminded me of some of those classic modernistic 50's cartoon shorts - interspersed with numbers - or extended vaudeville/burlesque sketches dedicated to presenting NYC which all-in-all comes away as the winner. I'm so grateful I had a chance to catch this before it disappeared on Bwy.

Updated On: 8/21/15 at 01:56 PM