pixeltracker

Hedwig tour set for early October 2016- Page 5

Hedwig tour set for early October 2016

neonlightsxo
#100Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 2:28pm

They also have Caucasian women covering the Schuylers, so what? That doesn't mean they can be all white all the time.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#101Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 3:42pm

Are you saying that Darren Criss can't play King George because he's part Filipino (even though you can't tell just by looking at him)?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#102Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 3:59pm

Let's bring this back to Hedwig casting, shall we?

How about Matthew Morrison? Has that been brought up? I'd honestly love to see Jonathan Groff take on the role as well.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

theoriginoflove
#103Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 4:26pm

I would love to see Matthew or Jonathan in the role.

Jonathan might be a bit young but so is Darren.

Matthew is actually perfect. 

Thanks for changing the subject back to Hedwig!

skies Profile Photo
skies
#104Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:24pm

It's not going to happen but , yes, Matt Morrison would be a fun choice for Hedwig.

However I just can't see Matt committing to long brutal road tour.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#105Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:34pm

Is it at unrealistic to guess that maybe there'll be a bigger-name Hedwig who'll perform only in the larger cities like LA? (Legit question; no sarcasm.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/9/16 at 08:34 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#106Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:37pm

It could happen- Billy Porter did the Pittsburgh engagement of Kinky Boots.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#107Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:40pm

my guess is that if the tour is booked for an entire year, they'll have three different Hedwigs throughout the tour. Each Hedwig would do about 4 months each.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#108Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:42pm

darquegk said: "It could happen- Billy Porter did the Pittsburgh engagement of Kinky Boots."

Billiy Porter is from Pittsburgh, his intent was to go back to his hometown. The producers it would create a great buzz for the show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#109Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:43pm

darquegk said: "It could happen- Billy Porter did the Pittsburgh engagement of Kinky Boots."

That's because Pittsburgh is Billy's hometown. On an unrelated note, Cheyenne Jackson mentioned on RuPaul's podcast how Hedwig is one of his dream roles. Perhaps he'll step into the tour while it's on the west coast given that it's where he seems to spend most of his time these days. 

AppleSunday
#110Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 9:28pm

The more I think about it and the more time passes without an announcement the more I wonder if they're working on getting quite a few larger names to do a different Hedwig for each city. It would be a shorter commitment for each actor and allow them to take more casting risks. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#111Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/9/16 at 11:24pm

I really don't think the "new actor per city" would be very good for the show. Every actor I saw took their time to gel in with the band. Even though most of the show is scripted, there's frequent ad-libbing involved which requires a good rapport with the band. Not to mention the chemistry with Yitzhak needs to be very very good.

Cheyenne Jackson is an inspired choice. Would he command the box office, though? I love the idea of one of the singing RuPaul queens taking the role too.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#112Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 12:45am

Please, no RuPaul reality show rejects in this show...  So some of them can sing in drag...  That doesn't make them fit for the needs of the character.  Stunt-casting, partially, IMO is what is to blame for the premature closing of this show on Broadway.

I'd like a Hedwig with some miles on her, in the same vein as JCM.  Weary, witty and layered, without the schmaltz that Neil Patrick Harris brought to it.  

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 12:45 AM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#113Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 3:35am

cheyenne would be inspired and amazing.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#114Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 11:10am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Please, no RuPaul reality show rejects in this show...  So some of them can sing in drag...  That doesn't make them fit for the needs of the character.  Stunt-casting, partially, IMO is what is to blame for the premature closing of this show on Broadway.

I'd like a Hedwig with some miles on her, in the same vein as JCM.  Weary, witty and layered, without the schmaltz that Neil Patrick Harris brought to it.  "

Some queens were actually decent singers. Adore (too young?) /Courtney (too attractive and vain) / Jinx (not a good enough singer, but she IMO can pull off the sass really well.)

Did you see NPH do Hedwig? Because he did a really good job with the weariness, wit, and character's layers. I was in the performance where he snapped out at the audience for calling out "I love you, Neil", and I tell you - he didn't break character for a second. It was clever and exactly what Hedwig would have done in her show.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#115Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 11:24am

You know who I would like to see read for the role? Not necessarily get it, but just- try it out and see how the fit is? Don't laugh. David Duchovny. "Weary, witty and layered" is kind of his thing, he's the actual age of the character and not the paradoxically young incarnation of the recent revivals, and he has experience playing trans characters AND leading a bar band.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#116Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 11:30am

David Duchovny won't be my first pick (or any pick for that matter).

How about Adam Lambert? I know I'm fishing, but he has stage experience (Fiyero in Wicked tour?), and is dabbling more with upcoming Rocky Horror live television production. I don't think the timing would work for him to start the production, but he could be an interesting replacement. Dude can sing rock songs as well as emotional ones and is incredibly sarcastic.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#117Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 12:31pm

Sadly Adam Labert is probably a no go. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that he was offered the role multiple times during the Broadway run of the show, and always declined. 

BenjaminNicholas2
#118Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 12:51pm

Valentina3 said: Did you see NPH do Hedwig? Because he did a really good job with the weariness, wit, and character's layers. I was in the performance where he snapped out at the audience for calling out "I love you, Neil", and I tell you - he didn't break character for a second. It was clever and exactly what Hedwig would have done in her show.

I saw every Hedwig during the Broadway run and NPH just didn't do it for me.  I felt he was too aware of himself and never got lost in the character.  Once you've seen JCM live in the role, most everyone else is ruined...  Except for Michael Cerveris, who was equally as stunning (in a whole other way).

Updated On: 3/10/16 at 12:51 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#119Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 12:55pm

Cheyenne is very talented, but I don't see him as ever having been "a slip of a girly boy". Hedwig is pretty open to interpretation to be sure, but it always feels off to me when a super muscular guy is playing the role. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BenjaminNicholas2
#120Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 12:59pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "Cheyenne is very talented, but I don't see him as ever having been "a slip of a girly boy". Hedwig is pretty open to interpretation to be sure, but it always feels off to me when a super muscular guy is playing the role. 

"

I wouldn't consider Jackson to be 'super muscular.'

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#121Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 1:46pm

BenjaminNicholas2, it's really great you mentioned Michael Cerveris, because that's who I was thinking of as I was typing out my previous comment. I doubt Cerveris would even be approached anymore, but from the clips I have seen, I really enjoy his Hedwig. Also, Neil totally did it for me - I think he had the advantage of originating the production. His Hedwig felt like a genuine fresh take.

And to the muscular conversation. Where exactly would you call Michael C Hall and Taye Diggs, if Jackson is too muscular for you?

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#122Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 8:16pm

Taye, Michael, and Darren all had too many muscles for me, but I don't think it took away from the show. Just give me someone who can act and sing the hell out all the parts.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#123Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 8:38pm

Cerveris specifically told me in December that he'd love to play Hedwig again. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#124Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 9:50pm

ChildofEarth said: "Taye, Michael, and Darren all had too many muscles for me"

Darren didn't seem THAT muscular.... compared to Taye, especially,