pixeltracker

Shows that deserved tonys- Page 2

Shows that deserved tonys

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/24/15 at 11:52pm

Let me give you all my thoughts on some of these 'controversial' Best Musical winners:

*The Phantom of the Opera-It being one of my all time favorite shows, I absolutely think it deserved to win. Into the Woods is a show I personally admire more than I actually like it. Not that I have problems with it, it's personally just not one of my favorites.

*The Lion King-A show I know a number of you just love to hate on, but please keep in mind that this was considered to be a huge artistic undertaking for Disney as they were just coming off of Beauty & the Beast, a hit that was criticized for being way too overproduced. Yet, (almost) everyone in the industry felt that every bit of hard work on The Lion King had paid off.

*Thoroughly Modern Millie-An old fashioned musical comedy which also happened to have been a love letter to New York City in the wake of 9/11?

*Avenue Q-There was that story about how the producers tried to gain some support from the road voters by announcing a national tour, but after winning it was revealed that they only made an exclusive deal with Las Vegas, which irritated a lot of voters. As much as I am a bigger fan of Wicked (another show I know a number of you love to hate on), I actually think Avenue Q did deserve to win for its relevance and originality.

*Billy Elliot-In the race between this and Next to Normal, Billy Elliot was so much more of a juggernaut. As someone who has seen both shows, I'm much more in favor of Billy Elliot as it is another one of my all time favorite shows.

*Kinky Boots-There was that story about how the Royal Shakespeare Company apparently pissed off a lot of theatre producers who literally went after Matilda with their best possible offers as an effort of bringing it to Broadway. But with that being said, I actually think Kinky Boots deserved to win for its heart and relevance.

*A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder-I haven't seen it (yet), but I do think it looks so overhyped. Of course, it opened in a very mild Broadway season (some shows were more well received than others).

Updated On: 8/24/15 at 11:52 PM

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#26Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/24/15 at 11:56pm

I think aside from the above-mentioned:

Sunday vs La Cage 

and Ragtime vs Lion King ....

The most glaring year was the year (2011 I believe) Book of Mormon won MANY awards it did not deserve because Scottsboro Boys was closed:

Score:   Should've gone to Scottsboro 

Direction:  should've gone to Stroman for Scottsboro 

Featured Actress:  should've gone to Benanti for Women on the Verge instead of that awful BOM girl

Lighting:   Should've gone to Scottsboro (one of my favorite lighting designs of all time)

Orchestration:  Scottsboro 

Choreography:  (went to Anything Goes), should've gone to Stroman --- this one, I think people forgot how much dance there was in Scottsboro and how beautifully it was woven into the rest of the staging.  That Electric Chair tap dance will never leave my memory.  And that final soft show with the shadow of Rosa Parks the height of the stage. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:02am

I actually do understand Avenue Q's victory in Best Musical, but I'm still perplexed how it took Score away from Wicked

I also think Sunday's dearth of original production Tonys (and the 2008 revival, for that matter) is a sad matter of circumstance. What a brilliant and under-awarded piece of theatre.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:03am

Matilda should have won most definitely. It has a smart yet lovable feel towards it. It's thought provoking which a show should do. And the set, music, costumes, lighting, dance and actors blended so well which made it the best overall production. Also Lauren ward and Bertie deserved the awards in their respective categories. Same with the creatives.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:06am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I actually do understand Avenue Q's victory in Best Musical, but I'm still perplexed how it took Score away from Wicked."

As I mentioned earlier, the good music of Wicked (and it's very good) is hindered by the terrible lyrics.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#30Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:08am

"ON THE TOWN"

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:10am

gypsy101 said: "As I mentioned earlier, the good music of Wicked (and it's very good) is hindered by the terrible lyrics."

Sorry, didn't read fully! I totally get that. It's pretty sad, though, since the score alone to the show is brilliant.

Corine2 said: ""ON THE TOWN"

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT. PREACH. The 2014 revival is/was pure gold, and it was simply a matter of a very clogged, very talented season on Broadway. It deserved more. Way more. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#32Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:19am

"Sorry, didn't read fully! I totally get that. It's pretty sad, though, since the score alone to the show is brilliant."

That's fine! I love Wicked but I'm sometimes embarrassed by it. The lyrics are so literal (and not in the good way) and forced. My major problem with Stephen Schwartz is the severe difference between his good lyrics and his bad ones. How the man who wrote the lyrics to Meadowlark, Just Around the Riverbend and Rags can then write stinkers like When You Believe, A Sentimental Man and Topsy Turvy is completely beyond me.

PS: I also love On the Town! That score is fantastic and the dancing is terrific and the show is funny. I don't get why people didn't love it.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Wilmingtom
#33Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:34am

The revival of "The Glass Menagerie."  "Gypsy" instead of the tie between "Fiorello!" and "The Sound of Music."

Updated On: 8/25/15 at 12:34 AM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#34Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 12:41am

Caroline, or Change deserved everything that year. Score, Musical, and Actress. It's genius and heart-wrenching. Tonya's performance was incredible and the show is the best show created in the twenty-first century. I find it even a little better than Fun Home - and that sets a high bar!

The Wild Party should have won over the mediocre Aida and the non-musical Contact.

Bridges of Madison County deserved to at least be nominated for Best Musical (and to beat an old drum, Kelli should have won Best Actress over Jesse. They were both phenomenal, but Jesse's character is only a sketch of a person due to the atrocious book. It should have been THE JESSE MUELLER SHOW but we had some annoying blonde girl shoved in our faces for half of the show).

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#35Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 1:06am

I really love Kinky Boots and I am reminded how euphoric I was leaving the theater.  It deserved the best musical award.  When I saw Matilda I did not enjoy the first act and was beginning to hate it until it was salvaged by the second Act which was beautiful and moving but still not enough for me to be convinced that it should have won the top award.  But... I have to agree that it should have won best choreography.   Jerry Mitchelle's work on Kinky Boots wasn't that impressive.  Bertie should have won best featured actor and should have not been nominated as lead where he didn't  have a chance  against Billy Porter's excellent performance as Lola.

I really love Wicked and I am a big fan of it having watched it 7 times already.  Avenue Q deserved that award though.  It is truly an original, imaginative, and groundbreaking musical.  But that's just pitting just the two musicals together since I wasn't able to watch Caroline.  

I would like to say that Memphis shouldn't have won best musical because I didn't like the show that much but I wasn't able to watch American Idiot so I wouldn't know which show deserved to win (I only watched Fela and I thought that's one of the worse musical I have ever watched! Sorry Beyoncé!) 

I thought The Full Monty deserved Best Musical unfortunately it went against The Producers juggernaut.  

Next To Normal also deserved best musical but again Billy Elliot cannot be denied.  (Maybe I just didn't like the boy who played Billy.... I didn't feel for the character at all unlike in the movie where I was moved by Bell's performance .... In the musical he was a brat from beginning to end!)

Updated On: 8/25/15 at 01:06 AM

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#36Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:13am

Newsies.

Howard Shore
#37Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:21am

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "Matilda should've won Best Musical & Score. Wicked should've also won Best Musical and NO QUESTION Best Score. Legally Blonde was also painfully snubbed and if Jerry Mitchell had to win a Tony for best choreography it should've been for that show and not for Kinky's generic moves. Matilda's choreography is obviously much better and extremely genius but thats none of my business!

Do not  know if you a kidding or not

"

Howard Shore
#38Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:24am

Billy is one of the best shows in the planet

aj88
#39Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:30am

The Lion King was a masterful effort for Julie Taymour and she was properly rewarded for those...and Ragtime was properly rewarded in Book, Score, Orchestrations and for Audra McDonald....but it should have won Musical easily.

Parade should have won over Fosse.

I still stand by the fact that perhaps the hardest race to call may very well be (and someone brought it up already) was the Sunday/La Cage race...and you even had Baby in there as a very solid, underrated piece of work...though I suppose its Book brought it down.

I think I barely give my vote to Sunday, but I don't La Cage winning at all.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#40Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:35am

Plus, there were people who did have problems with the second act of Sunday in the Park with George.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#41Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 9:31am

FELA FELA FELA!!!!

It was one of the most original pieces I have ever seen. What a great biography piece told in such an interesting way. Memphis was a blend of many things we've seen before. American Idiot was so contrived it upset me.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#42Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 10:45am

THIS SHOW!

CarlosAlberto
#43Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 10:51am

AND THIS ONE!

CarlosAlberto
#44Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 10:53am

AND THIS ONE AS WELL!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#45Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 11:08am

Totally agree jdrye

Poster Emeritus

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#46Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 11:20am

Matilda: Should have gotten at least Best Score & Best Choreography.

Urinetown: Best Musical & a Best Featured Actor nomination for Jeff McCarthy

Wicked: Best Musical

Newsies: Best Musical & Best Set Design

Cinderella: Best Orchestrations (Kinky Boots got a lot more than it deserved)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#47Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 11:42am

Fosse was a performance piece. Parade was a full fledged musical which should have won easily. Fosse was an easier sell to tourists and the general public than Parade was sad to say.

Poster Emeritus

Jeffrey Karasarides
#48Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 11:51am

^Parade had also already closed by the time the Tonys took place that year.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#49Shows that deserved tonys
Posted: 8/25/15 at 1:11pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Caroline, or Change (musical, score, book, and Actress)

Matilda (musical and score [sorry Cyndi])

Ragtime (musical)

Sunday in the park with George (everything)

Follies (everything)

Into the Woods (musical)

I agree with every single one of these. And add me to the chorus of people who thought Kinky got way more than it deserved. Actor and Sound Design I can understand, but Musical and Score far and away should have gone to Matilda. And Choreography and Orchestrations?! I feel like voters just got lazy and checked off Kinky for everything they couldn't make a strong decision on. Choreography should have gone to Matilda (or ANY of the other nominees) and Cinderella deserved Orchestrations.

"